Crashed! Hurt bike and self.

On 10/25/2020 at 8:40 AM, quest4reds said:

First day out on my brand new bike, I managed to crash in such a way that I simultaneously broke a rib or two and bent the handlebar that my ribs collided with.  Wasn't going fast when deep soft sand and ruts grabbed the front wheel causing the handlebar to lock left stopping the bike and sending me over the bars hitting the left side with my ribs on the way.

This being the case, I now need new handlebars, have already received some feedback on replacements, Renthal, Pro Taper, or Tags, and get aluminum bars.  Thoughts?

Secondly, before I go back out, I will have a chest protector.  I've looked around and it seems there are a lot of options, some of which look like they are very light weight to the point of being flimsy, and others look pretty robust but perhaps hot to wear and restrictive.  I of course want the unicorn; light weight, breathable, comfortable, not expensive but able to protect my ribs, sides, back and collar bones in the event of another incident.  I don't have but two places near me that sell this stuff in stock and they don't have much to choose from so I've been looking online.   Would like to hear from you guys and gals with experience what is recommended, rather than relying on the online reviews.

One last thing, I'm thinking I should consider a neck brace as well, should I get one?  Pros and cons?  Do they restrict movement too much?  Will I need to look for a certain type of chest protector that accepts a neck brace or will they fit or attach to just about any chest protector or can they be worn by themselves(independent of chest protector)?

Thanks all.

Hang in there bubba, im beaten up just like Y'all. If you get back to riding, you might want to work on yer ridin' technique. Stand on them pegs! If you modify your bike that makes it "unsafe" you might be on yer own, leaglly. If I add any controls, or alter anything on my scoots, I put it up on a stand and check for freedom of movement. EX: turning the bars lock to lock checking for interference and or binding. I check for suspension freedom of movement. Breaks function. etc. Basically I check any bike wheel to wheel to make sure shes safe and all is factory correct. Good luck Bubba!?

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Drop-Bear said:

I lost my bounce all together. Hence why I bought the RXR Protect MX Bullet. Body armour and air bag in one :D
Easily the most comfortable armour I've worn. The fact it inflates keeps it in position, and snug.
https://rxrprotect.com/en/accueil/31-r-pro-airbag-chest-protector.html

That's what I'm telling 'ol mate in the video. I lost my bounce, so bought some more.
First ride of the season, forgot to put my kidney belt on, tweaked my back. Back was all good in a couple weeks. Sciatic nerve is still giving me grief though.
Getting old sux ☠️

Love the sound of your bike, could use as an alarm clock or ring tone!

How robust is the front of that protector?  You think it would protect ribs in the event of another collision with handlebars (hopefully I don't have another opportunity to find out)?  I didn't realize when I looked at this at first that it inflated for stability and comfort, seems like a good feature.

Edited by quest4reds
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, R1pilot83 said:

I just went through this last week putting around in my front yard. Shocked was a understatement. Don't SNEEZE!!!! I have been looking for a wrap around chest protector but there doesn't seem to be any. I am thinking under armor padded shirt under the chest protector. Anyone have any suggestions?

Get well soon!!

Was telling someone today about the injury and I mentioned it hurts a bit when I cough but thankfully I hadn't sneezed yet.  He said "now you just jinxed yourself".  BAH, I hardly ever sneeze.  A while later I sneezed twice.  OUCH!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Hang in there bubba, im beaten up just like Y'all. If you get back to riding, you might want to work on yer ridin' technique. Stand on them pegs! If you modify your bike that makes it "unsafe" you might be on yer own, leaglly. If I add any controls, or alter anything on my scoots, I put it up on a stand and check for freedom of movement. EX: turning the bars lock to lock checking for interference and or binding. I check for suspension freedom of movement. Breaks function. etc. Basically I check any bike wheel to wheel to make sure shes safe and all is factory correct. Good luck Bubba!?

Thanks man.  I will make sure everything is in order as you mentioned and take some easy slow test rides before going out for a full ride after swapping the handlebars.

I did just swing by the shop and pick up some 7/8" Aluminum Pro Taper SE bars and some new grips so I'll be installing them soon.  I have about 6-8 weeks (due to my injury) to get this done so plenty of time to make sure it's right.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

Was telling someone today about the injury and I mentioned it hurts a bit when I cough but thankfully I hadn't sneezed yet.  He said "now you just jinxed yourself".  BAH, I hardly ever sneeze.  A while later I sneezed twice.  OUCH!

The sneeze this morning got caught and I accidentally stopped the sneeze, which blew up my chest cavity like a balloon! Honestly, I have never experienced something so cruel. LoL

• Sad 2
  • Haha 2

I slept on the recliner the entire time my ribs were injured. I was on a 450, came over the crest of a hill, twin track, so WOT, there was a fallen tree on the other side of the crest, right across the track, nothing I could do. But, also my worst crash, and worst injury in 45, 46 yrs in Dec, of riding. Touch wood!

When I started racing Karts, I cracked my ribs. It happen on the side of the seat from the G-forces. So, each time you practice, or race, you crack them again. 14 months of pain. They didn't get a chance to properly heal until the end of the season.

Once you learn to drive properly, It's not that much of a problem. 

9 minutes ago, quest4reds said:

YIKES!  Well at least you have that cool scar to remember it by.

I had a head on collision with the same kid at my local tracks, he was going the wrong way, and got a concussion.

Was at the Frankston MX track a few months later. Same person, wrong direction again. another concussion.

And, yep, same person that tangled with me over a jump as well ?.

We both had new CR80 RD's, 83 models.

The bloke that used to take us riding almost punched out the kids dad after the 3rd incident. He wasn't happy about having to return me home broken to mum again lol.

Edited by Drop-Bear

3 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

I had a head on collision with the same kid at my local tracks, he was going the wrong way, and got a concussion.

Was at the Frankston MX track a few months later. Same person, wrong direction again. another concussion.

And, yep, same person that tangled with me over a jump as well ?.

We both had new CR80 RD's, 83 models.

The bloke that used to take us riding almost punched out the kids dad after the 3rd incident. He wasn't happy about having to return me home broken to mum again lol.

Maybe dad or the kid was dyslexic???  LOL 

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2020 at 10:28 AM, BOAB said:

Above is an excellent choice,but if you want something a bit lighter An Atlas brace and Atlas Defender are what I wear.

Whatever you get, get a neck brace, though.

2019-air-Ghost__30056.1532987875.500.600

Defender_Digital_Arctic_Front__99480.141

The Guardian is modular and offers a

BTW, due to the mechanics of the break, nothing will prevent a clavicle break.  If anyone says it will they are lying.

This is a very true statement, you can be armored up like the Michelin man but when you go over the bars, even if you know how to 'roll', if you hit wrong on your shoulder you will break that clavicle.  Sucks but true

If I can still tuck and roll, while wearing a neck brace. I can't see them being a bad thing. If I can't tuck and roll, I'm not wearing one. I don't want to be a lawn dart.

I know the newer ones are supposed to give more free movement than the older ones. And I'm planning on giving them another go. Just sayin.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

**UPDATE**  It still hurts.  LOL.  Found another injury that I wasn't even aware of.  I'll spare you the picture of my inner thigh but it's purple, tan and blue and the size of a couple softballs.  Don't remember hitting anything, but there is a huge bruise there now and it's a bit sore as well.

Anyway, that's not why I wanted to update this.  I came home from work the other day and my son took it upon himself to wash the bike and put the new Pro Taper bars on.  He was all but done by the time I got home.  I looked it over and ensured I could turn lock to lock without binding, pulling or pinching, then made sure it started, clutch and front brake worked and kill switch operation was fine.  All good to go!  Now I just have to wait about 5 more weeks to make sure I'm healed :banghead:

• Like 2

On 10/25/2020 at 6:40 AM, quest4reds said:

First day out on my brand new bike, I managed to crash in such a way that I simultaneously broke a rib or two and bent the handlebar that my ribs collided with.  Wasn't going fast when deep soft sand and ruts grabbed the front wheel causing the handlebar to lock left stopping the bike and sending me over the bars hitting the left side with my ribs on the way.

This being the case, I now need new handlebars, have already received some feedback on replacements, Renthal, Pro Taper, or Tags, and get aluminum bars.  Thoughts?

Secondly, before I go back out, I will have a chest protector.  I've looked around and it seems there are a lot of options, some of which look like they are very light weight to the point of being flimsy, and others look pretty robust but perhaps hot to wear and restrictive.  I of course want the unicorn; light weight, breathable, comfortable, not expensive but able to protect my ribs, sides, back and collar bones in the event of another incident.  I don't have but two places near me that sell this stuff in stock and they don't have much to choose from so I've been looking online.   Would like to hear from you guys and gals with experience what is recommended, rather than relying on the online reviews.

One last thing, I'm thinking I should consider a neck brace as well, should I get one?  Pros and cons?  Do they restrict movement too much?  Will I need to look for a certain type of chest protector that accepts a neck brace or will they fit or attach to just about any chest protector or can they be worn by themselves(independent of chest protector)?

Thanks all.

Not to be a dick,

But maybe spend more time feeling out your bike and get acquainted with it.

• Like 1

this post might help....
Chest Protectors

In my opinion nothing as beefy as the Leatt chest protectors. Definitely hotter than average but if rib protection is important it was the only one that I found that actually offers decent coverage in this area. The fusion offers best bang for buck because you get the neck brace built in. 

The new Alpine Stars airbag gear looks neat but not sure how they would fair in a light tumble where the bags don’t deploy  

as for neck braces I use the Leatt 5.5 and you do not notice it is even on until you spill, even gently and realize how it stops your helmet from wrenching your neck ! Aside of cost I am surprised so many guys ride without. 

• Helpful 1

6 hours ago, Nigel18 said:

this post might help....
Chest Protectors

In my opinion nothing as beefy as the Leatt chest protectors. Definitely hotter than average but if rib protection is important it was the only one that I found that actually offers decent coverage in this area. The fusion offers best bang for buck because you get the neck brace built in. 

The new Alpine Stars airbag gear looks neat but not sure how they would fair in a light tumble where the bags don’t deploy  

as for neck braces I use the Leatt 5.5 and you do not notice it is even on until you spill, even gently and realize how it stops your helmet from wrenching your neck ! Aside of cost I am surprised so many guys ride without. 

Most likely tried the earlier ones like me, which really sucked.