R1pilot83

How many have debated on getting out over I injuries?

After taking a pretty good spill recently I have started to have some second thoughts about riding dirtbikes. My family and I strictly MX track and I am starting to see everyone get faster with the results of crashing harder. As I lay here, getting over my injury I can't help but wonder if I should pull the family off the track and do something safer? How many of you have been convicted of the same thoughts?

12 minutes ago, R1pilot83 said:

After taking a pretty good spill recently I have started to have some second thoughts about riding dirtbikes. My family and I strictly MX track and I am starting to see everyone get faster with the results of crashing harder. As I lay here, getting over my injury I can't help but wonder if I should pull the family off the track and do something safer? How many of you have been convicted of the same thoughts?

Not yet but I'm just a trail rider. Maybe give up the track for trail?...Either way get well. 

• Like 3

Interestingly enough, I've spent my whole life racing and riding motorcycles. And up until this year have only really recognized how dangerous the sport really is. Broken bones, torn ligaments and muscles, ruptured organs are not the norm in life but seem pretty acceptable in our sport. 

This past year my time on the bike has been a fraction of what I've done in years past and I've found a new passion in the gym. Yes, tweaks and strains can occur but simple rules apply, you can either pick the weights up, or you can't... Progressive overload is pretty much the only approach to lifting heavier and heavier, but also takes a considerable amount of time to get there (usually years). You cannot simply start at a 400lb squat or deadlift (well you can but you will be sorry). But unlike the gym, it's very easy to twist the throttle a bit too far and over-jump something (or under jump), or get cross-rutted, or hit a obstacle such as log wrong and end up with some broken bones. 

Have major injuries in riding ever had me consider quitting? No! But I am now very aware of them as I watch my kids start to ride and race...

One of the biggest contributing factors are we pushing kids pretty hard right out of the gate. Both the body and mind have to grow together, and if one is lagging behind usually injuries or burnout are the result. I see way too many successful C class riders go right to A class, have inconsistent results, and usually finish with a injury that following year. Best advice I could ever offer anyone, no matter how good they are is too slow down. Even if it takes you a extra year or two your likely to be both physically and mentally stronger, and in turn be better at preventing future injuries. 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 3

40 minutes ago, R1pilot83 said:

Can you switch to offroad? Much safer. Also sports psychologists deal with this all the time, the key is to have the shortest possible memory. That said.....

Screenshot_20201026-172812_Google.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Can you switch to offroad? Much safer. Also sports psychologists deal with this all the time, the key is to have the shortest possible memory. That said.....

Screenshot_20201026-172812_Google.jpg

My kids don't like Offroad but I think we will look into the offroad stuff next year and see. I have rode in the woods and didn't care for it.

• Helpful 1

3 minutes ago, R1pilot83 said:

My kids don't like Offroad but I think we will look into the offroad stuff next year and see. I have rode in the woods and didn't care for it.

That's probably because it's hard. Once you embrace the suck, you'll look down on mx dweebs like a two wheel version of kwadtards. Go enter them in an offroad race so they can see what mx isn't. Or maybe your local offroad terrain is garbage and mx is where it's at? Around here its the first one. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Just now, HeavyRotationClassic said:

That's probably because it's hard. Once you embrace the suck, you'll look down on mx dweebs like a two wheel version of kwadtards. Go enter them in an offroad race so they can see what mx isn't. Or maybe your local offroad terrain is garbage and mx is where it's at? Around here its the first one. 

I like the ambulance nice 'n close when I ride  CbM1.gif.39246f0a5a779c0eb00cc0423550b054.gif

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

I like to ride cliff side exposure alone.

... you forgot to mention, in the dark too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

I woke up from surgery in 05 in a lethargic, remorseful, drunken stupor.

When the narcotics begin to wear off, I was out in the shop on crutches removing the seat frame and exhaust.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 2

1 minute ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

I woke up from surgery in 05 in a lethargic, remorseful, drunken stupor.

When the narcotics begin to wear off, I was out in the shop on crutches removing the seat frame and exhaust.

12 hour surgery, 3 days icu, 10 days critical care unit, straight into the garage. 

20201026_182834.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

12 hour surgery, 3 days icu, 10 days critical care unit, straight into the garage. 

20201026_182834.jpg

It's amazing how drugs can change your personality.  I now know why they keep the good stuff under lock and key.  Not to get too far off topic, but 13 days, dang!  I had a broken femur, concussion, and mangled buttock and tailbone.  They booted me out 2 days later.  What was you list of repairs and or hardware?

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

20201026_182834.jpg

Best therapy.👍

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

It's amazing how drugs can change your personality.  I now know why they keep the good stuff under lock and key.  Not to get too far off topic, but 13 days, dang!  I had a broken femur, concussion, and mangled buttock and tailbone.  They booted me out 2 days later.  What was you list of repairs and or hardware?

Mandibulectomy and reconstruction with my entire left fibula, Microvascular Free Flap reconstruction, various associated huge skin grafts. 3 teams of surgeons, 3d modeling, oncological pathology in real time to assure margins, Radical Neck with removal of 35 lymph nodes, tracheotomy etc. Followed by 6 weeks of getting my face and neck nuked 5 days a week. All just &%$#@!ing hideous. 

Edited by HeavyRotationClassic
  • Like 1

Ah...have I ever considered giving up riding after a injury or getting beat up good..no, sorta. I have however, looked myself in my two black eyes, heavily busied body, and said.."Shit, I have to go to work tomorrow like this." I have seen my kids and wife completely look in horror as I've tried to regain myself after a very bad crash. My son, was too terrified to even ride, until recently, after watching me go down bad at budds one time. 

With that said, yeah, I know where you're at my dude. For me, I made a choice, either quit and hang it up, or ride to just simply ride. Forget racing, forget all that being "fast" , whatever that even means any more. Ride not with fear, but with responsibility. If its MX, hanging loose with the C guy's, practice days. Good times. 

Honestly, whether its MTBing, soccer, football, hell anything. If you push limits, you/family can and will be introduced where the limit stops. Thus creating more limits. Ride WITH IN them, enjoy the track day, enjoy a woods ride. Your injuries now, will heal, and now you know where your limit is at. Easy on the heavy...

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Mandibulectomy and reconstruction with my entire left fibula, Microvascular Free Flap reconstruction, various associated huge skin grafts. 3 teams of surgeons, 3d modeling, oncological pathology in real time to assure margins, Radical Neck with removal of 35 lymph nodes, tracheotomy etc. Followed by 6 weeks of getting my face and neck nuked 5 days a week. All just &%$#@!ing hideous. 

Ouch heal my man.