BOAB

Article about SxS caused destruction and the outcome

https://www.nohvcc.org/rzrforum-net-administrator-wont-let-a-few-bad-eggs-ruin-ohv-opportunities-in-new-mexico/?unapproved=3056&moderation-hash=af7d3f24407ba3fe07fb260bb866dfeb#comment-3056

The above article is about a specific instance in NM and the actions taken by the RZRForum administrator and others to try to mitigate the damage.  Unfortunately this behavior is all too common among the SxS crowd, and this is too little too late.  This became a very public black eye for ALL OHV users, because, as you know, we get lumped in with all the others, quads, SxSs and 4x4s.

You can leave comments on the article at the bottom, I suggest you do.  Because, even though they worked hard to try to undo the mess, it seems that the SxS crowd won't admit to the problem they have become.  Interesting that this was in NM, that's where I am and the destruction by SxSs is epic.

Edited by BOAB

This is not just a local occourance .  It is nationwide , and close to home ... outlaw riders have no clue as to the disasterous effects they are causing ..  not so much to them , but the whole Off road vehicle industry .  They cause so much damage to public , federal lands , that most of our riding areas have been fenced off and shut down because of them ... I have had to ban 4 wheel vehicles from my property to avert the damage .. Now I only allow family , and some friends to ride motorcycles only at our track and other property .   I have pissed off some people , but after all  ,  It is  my property .. like it , respect it , keep it clean , or stay the hell out ...

• Like 7

You lumping all sx’s riders together is no different than the public lumping all ohv riders together. Good on Frank and Polaris for stepping up and repairing the damage. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, atpalmer said:

You lumping all sx’s riders together is no different than the public lumping all ohv riders together. Good on Frank and Polaris for stepping up and repairing the damage. 

If you lived where I do and saw the damage you would be as intolerant as I am.  Granted, there are some responsible drivers, but they seem to be few and far between and totally overshadowed by the idiots.  They are getting areas closed because of their behavior.  Several trails right behind my house on BLM land were closed several months ago due to the damage caused solely by SxSs.  These are trails that we have been using for many years in a responsible manner.  Dirt bikers haven't caused the damage and believe it or not neither have 4x4 drivers.  The damage is 98% caused by SxSs.

• Like 7
  • Helpful 3

I agree many sxs drivers are unsafe and destructive.  The good guys are always overshadowed by the idiots. I love taking my family out on the SXS to see the areas we find on the dirt bike rides. The constant SxS bashing gets annoying. 

• Like 3

Here's a couple of the recent closure signs:

20200504_115510.jpg.ff90ddb63daa4f02e425

20200504_115809.jpg.7642fa34ae04944035b7

Here's a view of what got closed

closed.png.91a5a2854ebe50b32591d9a032b23

4x4 drivers are for the most part , responsible , respectable , group . The problem is caused by  sxs riders thinking they can go anywhere a singletrack goes.  Then getting stuck , and having to have another dumbass pull them out , causing twice the damage .   Then they think it's cool , fun , then stop and drink another beer , and throw the cans and other trash onto someone elses property .     You know this is true ....  NOT made up crap...   Witnessed  too many times ....

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, atpalmer said:

I agree many sxs drivers are unsafe and destructive.  The good guys are always overshadowed by the idiots. I love taking my family out on the SXS to see the areas we find on the dirt bike rides. The constant SxS bashing gets annoying. 

And I thank you for being a responsible driver.  Too bad you are in the minority.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, atpalmer said:

*drivers

You do not "ride" a SxS. No skill, physical fitness or common sense is required. 

• Like 11
  • Helpful 4
  • Haha 2

Just now, bweighmaster said:

4x4 drivers are for the most part , responsible , respectable , group . The problem is caused by  sxs riders thinking they can go anywhere a singletrack goes.  Then getting stuck , and having to have another dumbass pull them out , causing twice the damage .   Then they think it's cool , fun , then stop and drink another beer , and throw the cans and other trash onto someone elses property .     You know this is true ....  NOT made up crap...   Witnessed  too many times ....

The wetland (this particular instance) and alpine tundra destruction are what have really brought this to the public's attention.  It used to be an annoyance, albeit a big one, but it was pretty much us dirt bikers that got annoyed.  But, stuff like this article and instances of destruction of alpine tundra in the San Juan mtns. have brought it to the attention of the general public.

• Like 1

Tearing up fragile wetlands or tundra will get the tree huggers all upset, and then they let shotgun blasts out any anyone they think caused it. We get hit as collateral damage. The solution is simple: Don't do that.

The problem is fundamentally that SxS are too easy to drive. Folks rent them with no appreciation of being outdoors, proper land management, etc. And the ability to carry 2 cases of cold beer doesn't help.

Down at Hatfield-McCoy in West Virginia, the SxS greatly outnumber the ATV and dirt bikes. While many SxS folks are fine, their vehicles are wide and take up at least 80% of the trail width. Trails that were trivial for passing dirt bikes and not a big deal for ATVs are now blocked. On the blind corners, this is  a serious problem. I've had buddies on bikes head-on into SxS that literally took up the whole trail.

Maybe we can make them harder to drive?

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

You mean like an interlock for alcohol and an IQ test?

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

The manufactures could help out by providing a video upon sale of vehicle that provides "what bad looks like" using real life examples and then go on to discuss the consequences of the bad behavior. 

This will assist in reduction of bad apples

Just my opinion but I think it hasn't happened yet because it's all about the money.

Edited by rjg
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Tearing up fragile wetlands or tundra will get the tree huggers all upset, and then they let shotgun blasts out any anyone they think caused it. We get hit as collateral damage. The solution is simple: Don't do that.

The problem is fundamentally that SxS are too easy to drive. Folks rent them with no appreciation of being outdoors, proper land management, etc. And the ability to carry 2 cases of cold beer doesn't help.

Down at Hatfield-McCoy in West Virginia, the SxS greatly outnumber the ATV and dirt bikes. While many SxS folks are fine, their vehicles are wide and take up at least 80% of the trail width. Trails that were trivial for passing dirt bikes and not a big deal for ATVs are now blocked. On the blind corners, this is  a serious problem. I've had buddies on bikes head-on into SxS that literally took up the whole trail.

Better yet ,  make them ,     riders , rental operators   ,   financially responsible for damage  ,  and or , accidents .  They should be licenced , educated , before being allowed to ride ..   JMO .   But probably a start  to better than just letting them have uncontrolled  use of property . Or public land ..    Make your own trails on your own property .  Keep up your own trails , clean up your own mess ...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Yeah, like that, exactly. Maybe a common sense test as well?

I suggested to a local big SxS dealer a while back that before they let the machine out the door that they make the buyer take the short training by Tread Lightly that I posted here awhile back.  He looked at me like I was from another planet.  Its all about the money.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BOAB said:

I suggested to a local big SxS dealer .... the short training by Tread Lightly that I posted here awhile back.  He looked at me like I was from another planet.  Its all about the money.

Yeah, that is never going to be popular unless we lose all the riding areas. By then, it will be too late. Sigh.

• Like 1

asshats be asshattin'..  they ride/drive all sorts of vehicles...  If you want to live in a police state perhaps hiring 10,000 more rangers and BLM LEO's might put a dent in it.. but probably just shift the damage to areas where they aren't...

This is generally a great example of the tragedy of the commons..

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, BOAB said:

I suggested to a local big SxS dealer a while back that before they let the machine out the door that they make the buyer take the short training by Tread Lightly that I posted here awhile back.  He looked at me like I was from another planet.  Its all about the money.

What's "Tread Lightly"?

• Haha 1