What Chain you running?

hey, team ... i have a DID 520 VT2 Narrow X-ring in great condition that i'm searching for a clip master link for, anyone know if the updated 520 ERVT master will work? i have a line out to DID but no response yet. asked a shop and they didn't know. the ERVT is marketed as narrow width. still need to compare specs if i can find them for the VT2. DID has the ERVT specs posted.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hubert Carpet said:

Sorry, misread your post. I thought you meant that your link was marked ERVT.

Try this. I know your over the pond but it proves that spare links do exist.

https://www.bikersworldstore.co.uk/did-split-link-520-vt2-x-ring-narrow.html

thanks, i'll keep digging. i shoulda stocked up on a few last time i ordered from RMATVMC.

4 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

Nah Tom, just when it's wet! Oh, I forgot you're on the Wet Coast! I use that cheap Wally World spray oil except after washing the bike then it gets WD40.

I put the gear oil on night before and it flung like a catapult the next day. 

I wash after nearly every ride (mud!) and then dry chain and wd40 spray down. 

IMHO of 'sadly) neat half a century of riding( road and offroad),  It took me long time just to understand the process of chain life.... Then I was informed about measuring lenght to know life period.... Then I cut ad opened links , rolls inside. Then at the end, i finally understood that the inside rolls are deformed by torque peaks, become oval, lock in this position, give more play, become first concern about chain elongation, and things go worst and worst...

On big powerful road bikes, I had chain kits which asted more than  45 000 km. I just lubed them a little, but often and often. For offroad, what can we do ??? A friend used an homemade "scottoiler" which lubes the chain with lot of sew oil. Rather to clean the chain than  lubricate it. I must say it worked pretty well, in sand and mud. Chain was always super clean but at end of summer, his chain was same elongated and used than ours...So, oil or whatever won't prevent deformed inside rolls on peak torques...

On XR650r which is a torkey beast and eater of sprockets and chain, i used the did vx2  and it last pretty well...   

Now I don't really give a F..K about chain. Took me long to realise my chain was too tensed. Still confused about all the tricks and measures to do it properly as, often,  main info is missing : bike on stand, bike straight on itd own weight, ??? I do it now with all swig arm /sprocket aligned... ( seems the most logical but maybe i'm wrong...) 

I'm still a newbie about chains. I just change it, it's usual part... I try to clean them the best after a ride, oil them just to prevent rust and consider now there are just stupid spare parts to be changed reguraly, ( so nice and smooth to have a brand ne sprocket & chain kit BTW) .
Most difficult is to change them when they are ( or seem to be) still good, as the end  life's end curve is exponential  :(

Now , (still as a knewbie ? ),I got my beta with non rivet link (i was always used rivet link son all my bikes ) ; and having some difficulties to pull out and back the non riveted  clip link, I learnt that there are common clip links AND press fit links.   Asking around  , i discovered too that people who lost clips were the ones who had ordinary clips. The other with press fit links never lost one....  390 is torkey but not a monster , so except scratching link on rocky part, i 'll keep it for the best. ( but sure change the clip each time I Pull it out)

what are your experiences in between  ordinary cliped and press fit clips links ? Thanks  !!!

I saw some riveted links  broken in half, but wonder if press procedure was made correctly ...

to finish , i always put red nail varnish on the clip or riveted part to fast identy it and  have too a fast "preflight" check ( flying habit, red tips on all visibles bolts for fast check)

Thanks

Edited by Hannibal Babar

On 1/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, typeone said:

hey, team ... i have a DID 520 VT2 Narrow X-ring in great condition that i'm searching for a clip master link for, anyone know if the updated 520 ERVT master will work? i have a line out to DID but no response yet. asked a shop and they didn't know. the ERVT is marketed as narrow width. still need to compare specs if i can find them for the VT2. DID has the ERVT specs posted.

follow up on the VT2 master link search in case anyone else ends up needing one ... heard back from DID:

The new ERVT master links will work on the VT2. The VT2 upgraded to the ERVT, but the foundation of the chain remains mostly unchanged. The ERVT got a material update and has thinner inner plates.
FJ520ERVT for a press-fit-clip or ZJ520ERVT for rivet-style.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hannibal Babar said:

so guys, use rivet or pressfit links. all good with press fit links ?

Press fit with retaining clip is just fine. I have never had one fail in road racing, off road riding, supermoto, or any other discipline in 30+ years of motorcycles. Others might have different opinions, but I have never had a clip master link fail. I have seen them fail due to incorrect installation, but never when they are installed correctly. Don't bend the clip during installation.

This is a tool that I am seriously considering purchasing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, pscook said:

Press fit with retaining clip is just fine. I have never had one fail in road racing, off road riding, supermoto, or any other discipline in 30+ years of motorcycles. Others might have different opinions, but I have never had a clip master link fail. I have seen them fail due to incorrect installation, but never when they are installed correctly. Don't bend the clip during installation.

Plain old master link pliers from tusk work good 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, pscook said:

in fact,t i was used to rivet and if link, just ordinary one. When I tried to pull out the link, it was super hard, didn't know about press-fit links. ?   Agree with you, problem is link deformation, or forced,  during bad installation.... .....

Edited by Hannibal Babar

I have tried a few different tools over teh years and the motion pro tool is the simplest one that works well so far.

Motion Pro 08-0070 Mini Chain Press Tool

I bought the light weight motion pro tool but it bent and was useless almost immediately. 

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0358-Chain-Tool/dp/B000HS8Q8S/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=motion+pro+lightweight+chain+tool&qid=1611352316&sr=8-11

12 hours ago, redpillar said:

I have tried a few different tools over teh years and the motion pro tool is the simplest one that works well so far.

Motion Pro 08-0070 Mini Chain Press Tool

I bought the light weight motion pro tool but it bent and was useless almost immediately. 

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0358-Chain-Tool/dp/B000HS8Q8S/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=motion+pro+lightweight+chain+tool&qid=1611352316&sr=8-11

seems a good balance in beteen strenght and  small packaging ?