My clutch wont work for when I do clutch up wheelies.

I have a 2013 ktm 250sxf, sweet bike and all but whenever I go to do a wheelie/practice them ive been told by multiple different youtube videos to use the clutch pull it in and give it gas all in one motion. Well I go to do that in like 2nd gear and it doesn't even do that much justice as they made it sound in the video, like I could get up in the wheelie just as easy without the clutch. I have tried it in 3rd gear as well and same thing doesn't seem like the clutch is doing anything, and the bike runs perfectly fine as well. Any tips for the wheelies or suggestions to why this isnt working? It is a hydraulic clutch by the way so maybe that has something to do with it?

34 minutes ago, thatonektmrider said:

I have a 2013 ktm 250sxf, sweet bike and all but whenever I go to do a wheelie/practice them ive been told by multiple different youtube videos to use the clutch pull it in and give it gas all in one motion. Well I go to do that in like 2nd gear and it doesn't even do that much justice as they made it sound in the video, like I could get up in the wheelie just as easy without the clutch. I have tried it in 3rd gear as well and same thing doesn't seem like the clutch is doing anything, and the bike runs perfectly fine as well. Any tips for the wheelies or suggestions to why this isnt working? It is a hydraulic clutch by the way so maybe that has something to do with it?

Assuming your clutch is ok, there are a few variables involved.  How much throttle you give it when you let go of the clutch, how quick and how much clutch you give it, your body position, and how much you are pulling on the bars.  There is a balance point once you get it vertical and you can control that balance point with the throttle and rear brake.

All the info and videos are fine, but you're going to have to learn by trial and error.  When you do go over to far and bend/break your rear fender, don't replace it until you've perfected the wheelie.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Assuming your clutch is ok, there are a few variables involved.  How much throttle you give it when you let go of the clutch, how quick and how much clutch you give it, your body position, and how much you are pulling on the bars.  There is a balance point once you get it vertical and you can control that balance point with the throttle and rear brake.

All the info and videos are fine, but you're going to have to learn by trial and error.  When you do go over to far and bend/break your rear fender, don't replace it until you've perfected the wheelie.

Hm ok thank you will definitely keep working on it through trial in error just want to make sure its me and not my clutch. And ya I already did loop it out once had to get a whole new exhaust busted the tip off my old one. 

15 minutes ago, thatonektmrider said:

Hm ok thank you will definitely keep working on it through trial in error just want to make sure its me and not my clutch. And ya I already did loop it out once had to get a whole new exhaust busted the tip off my old one. 

Don't know how handy you are, but you could build you a fender/exhaust guard out or some tubing.

As far as clutch operating normally, hard to tell over the inner-web.

3 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Don't know how handy you are, but you could build you a fender/exhaust guard out or some tubing.

Ya fender/exhaust guard is definitely something I should look into, didn't think of that. Thanks Man! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WALKINGWOUNDED said:

Ya fender/exhaust guard is definitely something I should look into, didn't think of that. Thanks Man! 

Maybe even a wheelie bar?

5 hours ago, thatonektmrider said:

It's simple, whether you want to admit it or not, you're scared of it. Pull the clutch give it a good rev, hold the throttle on and feed the clutch out quickly while applying more throttle. Be ready with the rear brake.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

6 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Be ready with the rear brake.

Definitely.  You can wick the throttle, pop the clutch and you'll be fine as long as you cover and use the rear brake.  Do this in small steps, bring the front wheel just off the ground and brake to bring it back down over and over to get used to this process.  You'll get confident quick.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, thatonektmrider said:

Maybe even a wheelie bar?

I forgot to add this yesterday;

Be careful, motorcycle subframes are very light, and not strong. Get yourself a cheap ebay or amazon pos muffler, and just keep using you old guard, or cheap replacement ones to keep the subframe from taking the impacts. Unless you want to buy another subframe and reinforce it. How serious are you?

A little trick I mention all the time for wheelie guys is don't freak and try to put your feet down when it comes up too far, as soon as you lift your feet off the pegs, you move all your weight onto the seat, and usually start sliding back. Instant flip. ALWAYS keep your feet on the pegs.

Get better on that back brake.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1