offroad Best DOT approved tires for harescarmble

On 11/5/2020 at 9:18 AM, eastreich said:

No.

If Kenda, Motoz, etc... were making hands down better DOT tires Dunlop and Pirelli would have updated the 606 and MT-21 respectively.  The 606 rear was originally built specifically to race the 1000, so yeah, if you are going to be racing in Superstition and you want DOT, that tire should be on the very short list to use (the front sucks IMO).

And as with ANY tire, what works for one person is absolute garbage for the next even on the same bike and terrain.  Trackmasters are loved by many; I may have not used a worse tire in my life until I tried a set of the Sedona SR-208s a month ago. 

There are trade offs with every single tire made when comparing it to another.  So you have a nearly 20 year old KTM with an even older carb design: How do you ride?  What is your skill level?  Do you steer with the rear or the front?  How do you balance your weight when riding?  Do you prefer a stiff sidewall?  Do you worry more about chunking a tire's center knobs or is the bane of your existence only getting 2 rides out of a front tire before you start to tear the side knobs?  Is braking or acceleration performance more important?  Do you require a uni-directional tire so you can flip it with the same pattern and use it longer or is an asymmetrical design okay with you?  Do you value tire life more than traction?  Do you care if the tire weighs a lot, or do you want something lighter that has a good balance to it?  Do you run heavy tubes, or do you want to run lighter tubes and need a stiff carcass that will help prevent pinch flats?

I have bounced around on all kinds of DOT knobs over the years, and if dry dirt performance is the most important aspect for me at the time a Michelin Desert Race front paired with a D606 rear is my go to.  If you want to throw water in the mix, I am pretty partial these days to a GoldenTyre GT-216AA in the 90/90 size (a Chubby, not a Fatty) however it is a pretty soft sidewall and as long as I am not racing I am okay with it.  If I need more mileage out of the rear while still being 90% dirt, then I use the Michelin Desert Race rear.  Speaking of which, hey Michelin, where is the Desert Race Baja rear tire you were having guys use on the 2020 Dakar last January?  You idiots at Michelin should not have discontinued the the Baja tires in the mid 90s.  Those were the best.

I have tried the Metzelers, Pirellis, most of the Kendas: I do really like the Parker DT front, it is a close second in dry performance to the front Desert race for me, but not the rear.

Asking what tire is best is no different than asking what oil to use.

And really, you should not have posted this in Pro.  You should have at least put it in the general discussion thread at the very top of the forum, or better in the California thread to get guys that ride out there regular to chime in.  Pro isn't a spot for most to hang out in.

That 360 Metzler soft is tough to beat but yeah. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 12:13 AM, timmyp8823 said:

D606 rear MT21 front. There must be 10,000 posts pertaining to this subject. Use the search function and spend the next 12 hours reading about what guys use and where they use them. 

Hard to argue for general dual-sport use, but that D606 sucks on slick hardpack. It's designed to give you traction in soft stuff while being hard enough to last on the road. 

If you need the tire just to last one race and it's all off-road, I would look at the Golden Tire stuff as it's a main focus for them, but don't have any good specific recommendations otherwise. 

Thanks guys all kinds of factors in the dirtbike. Going to test it out bought new chain  and sprockets found out my gearing isn’t stock it has 13 and 47 with 19 inch rim. Will see how it performs in the race just starting so I got some learning to do. I have been riding it out there and like the gearing though but will see when it comes race day.