Singletrack_rider

Full YZ front end on my 200rr

This is almost to funny. After trying my friends forks on my 200 I decided to get some KYB forks. I was kinda bummed that I could try my YZ125x forks because the upper tube is 2mm big to fit the Beta clamps. Well guess what the clamps from the Yamaha fit right up in the Beta. This is a game changer now. I will test this out on Thursday when I have some daylight.

IMG_20201109_185046972.jpg

IMG_20201109_185106960.jpg

• Like 10
  • Helpful 2

3 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

This is almost to funny. After trying my friends forks on my 200 I decided to get some KYB forks. I was kinda bummed that I could try my YZ125x forks because the upper tube is 2mm big to fit the Beta clamps. Well guess what the clamps from the Yamaha fit right up in the Beta. This is a game changer now. I will test this out on Thursday when I have some daylight.

IMG_20201109_185046972.jpg

IMG_20201109_185106960.jpg

Looking good. Any difference in the bar height? The crown to crown looks good and the steerer tube looks about the same length. I know the KYB’ have more travel than the Sachs. I wonder where the difference is. 

Total offset?  How do the stops line up?  I've seen this done on a GasGas but not a Beta.   If offset doesn't match up it will certainly skew the handling to the point of affecting your evaluation.   Six years on my conversion and still love it.

• Like 2

I would consider doing this if there was a way to use the beta front break. I also would like to use the front wheel. After riding the bike with the kyb forks it is something to strongly consider. 

• Like 1

Isn't the offset of these Yamaha triples 25mm compared to 22mm of the Beta triples? Also the wheel axle offset is different, so in total there are some big changes that might affect turning/handling a lot. I remember trying a YZ125 with Pro Taper 22mm triples when I had my YZ125 10 years ago and the difference was very noticeable...

22 minutes ago, Eric72 said:

I would consider doing this if there was a way to use the beta front break. I also would like to use the front wheel. After riding the bike with the kyb forks it is something to strongly consider. 

There is nothing that can't be done with a little effort.   Life is too short to ride a shitty fork.   Some forks are easier than others but all worth it.  You have to be flexible as different good stuff pops up for sale.  For example mine were not the easiest option but brand new take offs for only $700.  Research, measure, a little math, machine.  I use the Beta front brake, front wheel, and even an Italian Husky front wheel.  

• Like 5

Untill Thursday I won't know how it all works or the effect of the offset change. I'm just playing around at this point and it's not costing me one cent. There are a lot of potential combos that could work this may be a option but the jury is out. What i do know is the YZ125x and 250x forks are the same length as the stock Beta. Just a little over 37" from center of axel to top of caps. A yz front brake and axle  cost less than new fork lugs. The Beta front wheel should work with custom made spacers too. 

If the 25mm YZ clamp offset throws things to far off I have some options. 

Nothing is set in stone and this is just a test. 

• Like 4

Well as bad as I ride ,I am an even worse mechanic. So unless it's simple I won't be able to do it. Fabricated something is not gonna happen from this kid. Some of us are just that way. I do just enough to keep the bike mechanically sound and that's it. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I don't know what the 200RR clamp offset is or the newer 250/300 for that matter but mine was 20mm.  4stroke was 23mm.  Stock Beta Sachs/Zoke lugs 35mm, YZF 32mm.  YZ125s may be 35mm but not sure.  If the 200 has 20mm clamps, and the YZ clamps are 25mm your going to be on the + side of offset in any case, 2-5mm.  2mm will be very noticeable, 5mm is a really gross change and a non starter IMO considering the OEM offset is basically correct.  Its a very sensitive chassis dimension. 

Edited by GP
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

31 minutes ago, GP said:

I don't know what the 200RR clamp offset is or the newer 250/300 for that matter but mine was 20mm.  4stroke was 23mm.  Stock Beta Sachs/Zoke lugs 35mm, YZF 32mm.  YZ125s may be 35mm but not sure.  If the 200 has 20mm clamps, and the YZ clamps are 25mm your going to be on the + side of offset in any case, 2-5mm.  2mm will be very noticeable, 5mm is a really gross change and a non starter IMO considering the OEM offset is basically correct.  Its a very sensitive chassis dimension. 

Let's say the stock beta is 20mm on the clamps and 35mm on the lugs. That's 55mm total correct? If the yamaha is 25mm on the clamps and 32mm on the lugs that's 57mm. If I used 22mm clamps with the yamaha that would give me 54mm. I'm I seeing this right.

Can you overlay the yz top clamp and the beta top clamp and see what doesn't line up? then measure? that would let you know what is not the same

43 minutes ago, Singletrack_rider said:

Let's say the stock beta is 20mm on the clamps and 35mm on the lugs. That's 55mm total correct? If the yamaha is 25mm on the clamps and 32mm on the lugs that's 57mm. If I used 22mm clamps with the yamaha that would give me 54mm. I'm I seeing this right.

Yes but that means 22mm Yamaha clamps and your still 1mm off.  I used 23mm Beta 4stroke lower and custom 23mm upper from Steve (my upper tube OD is 56mm) to get me back to stock offset.  You have to measure everything accurately first to be sure and come up with a plan. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, GP said:

Yes but that means 22mm Yamaha clamps and your still 1mm off.  I used 23mm Beta 4stroke lower and custom 23mm upper from Steve (my upper tube OD is 56mm) to get me back to stock offset.  You have to measure everything accurately first to be sure and come up with a plan. 

Thank you very much for the info. Looks like I should be able to piece together the puzzle one way or another.  I seen a few of your older post and it's been helpful too. I will try to see what the forks are when I get home. If they are 35mm lugs I will just get a new top clamp that can take the 56mm forks so I can use the stock Beta lower. 

1 hour ago, Singletrack_rider said:

@GP what do you think the effects would be with 20mm offset clamps with 32mm lugs? Just curious. 

Scary.  When I did this six years ago I was one of the first, Steve (motoxgiant) being the first.  With 32mm offset lugs in stock 20mm clamps the bike was very non-linear in steering, that is once turn in started it wanted to tuck real fast.  The 23mm clamps made everything normal.  Again. VERY sensitive variable, every mm matters.

• Like 1

Why dont you just swap the 2020-> Racing Edition lugs into your KYB forks. Both sides less than 200USD new total, If its too tricky job for you, find someone who can do this for you. Then you can keep the Beta brake, wheel etc.

8 minutes ago, needforspeed78 said:

Why dont you just swap the 2020-> Racing Edition lugs into your KYB forks. Both sides less than 200USD new total, If its too tricky job for you, find someone who can do this for you. Then you can keep the Beta brake, wheel etc.

Where and do they actually have them. I heard they were available but have not seen where anyone in the states have bought them.

• Like 1