supercross JGR Suzuki closing up shop??

On 11/14/2020 at 12:57 PM, dirtbikesonny said:

I have long wondered why JGR has stuck around this long. 

IIRC in the early years they were actually a profitable team, not sure for how long

1 hour ago, mxaniac said:

So if I wanted a drill, Makita because they sponsored SX.  If I need detergent, Surf because they sponsored SX.  I would not buy any of those things from San internet search and I'd avoid people buying obtrusive popups.

I liked Jeff but the fact that he was riding around in Surf gear didn't make me buy their detergent. Same with Makita and Suzuki....Bosch and Milwaukee for me 

Pop up adds are the future of advertising until we all wake up and reject the practice. Companies get way more exposure for their money  

53 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I liked Jeff but the fact that he was riding around in Surf gear didn't make me buy their detergent. Same with Makita and Suzuki....Bosch and Milwaukee for me   

I do steer my money towards the brands that support the activities I enjoy, and I especially steer it away from certain corporations.  Proctor and Gamble was the hardest, they own a lot of brands and it turns out their stuff was all over my house.  Not anymore.

Milwaukee was pretty impressive in this video.  This guy does some pretty good ones, and some ridiculous ones that serve no purpose.  Filling your lawn mower with antiseize and seeing how long it will run wasn't that useful but I suppose it was a fun way to goof around.  His Seafoam tests, and penetrant tests were great.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

I do steer my money towards the brands that support the activities I enjoy, and I especially steer it away from certain corporations.  Proctor and Gamble was the hardest, they own a lot of brands and it turns out their stuff was all over my house.  Not anymore.

Milwaukee was pretty impressive in this video.  This guy does some pretty good ones, and some ridiculous ones that serve no purpose.  Filling your lawn mower with antiseize and seeing how long it will run wasn't that useful but I suppose it was a fun way to goof around.  His Seafoam tests, and penetrant tests were great.

I have been buying $1,000's of dollars worth of power tools each year for almost 20 years and Bosch and Milwaukee hold up the best. Metabo is another good one but they have gone all plastic so we stopped buying them

We have just about all the brands sitting out on the floor. Grinders, drill, saws and impact drills...big and small....hammer drills and more. DeWalt as a whole is garbage and Makita impacts are weak for their size. You need metal gears and having metal housings is even better 

1 hour ago, mxaniac said:

Good info, thanks.

If Suzuki wants to drop all support and save the money but then keep making their old bikes and sell them for $5k, I would be fine with that. Maybe throw a few bucks to some privateers. But really if they aren't going to develop the bike and stay competitive at the top level there isn't much point in any serious teams to keep running the bikes even if they are thrown a lot of factory support money. 

On 11/12/2020 at 10:19 AM, mxaniac said:

Yes, I think we're agreeing.

Electric bikes are the intriguing part of the equation.  When do you enter the market?  Alta was too soon.  If you wait too long the market will pass you by. AMA needs to get on board of you want to make competition bikes.  Government regulation of fossil fuels is another parameter in all this.  I can see how it could really make or break a company trying to balance timing, technology, marketing, and lobbying right now.

I think Alta had the right product at the right time, but they went after the wrong market. It seemed they were pushing hard for Enduro when their bikes were better suited for Mx. It couldn't finish a real enduro races on one battery and swapping them wasn't fast enough during a race, where they could run a 30min moto no problem. For the Amateur just riding for fun it's not a big deal to do a moto then put the bike on a charger, but people trail riding might spend half the day away from the truck. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, Arctic Pride said:

Hows the Nascar team doing? Never followed it but you can be sure if they aren't putting up the numbers the MX division is first on the cutting board. Maybe they'd be better off going GNCC racing

I think GNCC and off-road in general is really the future at least in my area. Where I ride there is Mx and trails and the mx tracks are typically empty while everyone is out in the woods. We had a local harescramble yesterday with 500 riders showing up. With a full line of 50+ aged riders in all A,B,C classes. People who have never ridden a dirtbike are picking it up in their 40's and aren't going anywhere near a mx track. 

Granted given the nature of being out in the woods maybe the spectator aspect isn't quite there as compared to a stadium full of people at an SX, but if their interests is selling motorcycles instead of getting sponsors from insurance companies, maybe that is they way to go. 

• Like 1