Bring your old carbed 2-stroke into the 21st century with FI kit

18 minutes ago, Sierra_rider said:

This isn't a know against FI, but why would someone spend the money converting one of the older Ktm's to FI? The person who cares a lot about the latest technology, probably isn't riding a pre '17 Ktm.

I agree,  but you'd be surprised.  It's been brought up on a regular basis on KTMTALK. 

Guys who love the older generation chassis and suspension, but would like the FI 2-stroke. 

Edited by firffighter

9 hours ago, Sierra_rider said:

This isn't a know against FI, but why would someone spend the money converting one of the older Ktm's to FI? The person who cares a lot about the latest technology, probably isn't riding a pre '17 Ktm.

There will always be a market for upgrades.  

How many guys have done Lectron,  Smart Carb? 

Guys are forking over big money for STIC, and the inventor admittedly doesn't ride a dirt bike and is still "tweaking" the product, yet guys are all in. 

Beta guys spending $2500 on suspension and doing fork conversions.

A FI 2-stroke conversion will sell. You know KRAN would have bought it for that 300rr, Lol

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mog said:

But does it work well ? And cost a much as the bike ? Weight ? 

Currently in preproduction.

Just was putting it out there as the industry has and is changing and the 2-stroke world is in a major transitioning stage. 

Personally,  I  don't have any interest in doing a conversation. I just did a 50+ mile day with 2 TPI bikes and a property tuned carb provides nearly identical power delivery characteristics.  

• Like 3

I stumbled across this thread and I’m not sure why there is any animosity against reviving an older carbed bike with EFI. The last carbed bike in my fleet is a 2007 CR250R. That thing has given me  all kinds of grief getting it jetted right. Compared to my other bikes I’d consider a conversion if the price was reasonable and it worked without too much cutting and hacking. 

• Like 1

Just now, Into the sunset said:

I stumbled across this thread and I’m not sure why there is any animosity against reviving an older carbed bike with EFI. The last carbed bike in my fleet is a 2007 CR250R. That thing has given me  all kinds of grief getting it jetted right. Compared to my other bikes I’d consider a conversion if the price was reasonable and it worked without too much cutting and hacking. 

I agree,  I believe there's a market for it as there are plenty of guys who really love there older carbed bikes,  but would prefer the ease of Fuel injection on their 2-stroke.

3 minutes ago, William1 said:

I'd like to know how these older bikes with just enough stator power to fire a CDI is going to run a fuel pump, ECU and an injector.

Good question.  

Not sure,  I have no affiliation with the folks working on this, only saw that it is in preproduction and is specifically for '06-'17 KTM and Husky. 

I'll post anything new and further details if it becomes available. 

• Like 3

Just now, mog said:

Cost will be the major thing ,who would spend so much on a old bike ? Not many spend 2k on suspension on a old bike  

Well, guys are spending $700 on SC2 carbs, $300 on heads, so I don't think it's a stretch that guys would buy a bolt on FI system.  

BTW,  go get a quote on a full suspension revalve from Kreft. Doesn't take much to get you past $1000.

EFI and variations will always out perform a carb, assuming implementation is optimized. The more sensors, the better it will work. The problem becomes cost, weight, packaging, and power creation/consumption. The bigger the machine, the less this is as a percentage of the complete machine.

Most race MX bikes, weight and packaging, power consumption is number one, the cost is meaningless and the tuneabilty too, means nothing. A race team has money and expert tuners. Slight air density changes during a day are insignificant. So I think it will be a long time before EFI beats carbs. More likely the death of carbs will be environmental/political.

For the trail rider/adventure rider, where the bikes are already large, the rider does not have a tuner 'on staff' and the air density can change dramatically during a week long ride, EFI is the only solution.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, firffighter said:

There will always be a market for upgrades.  

How many guys have done Lectron,  Smart Carb? 

Guys are forking over big money for STIC, and the inventor admittedly doesn't ride a dirt bike and is still "tweaking" the product, yet guys are all in. 

Beta guys spending $2500 on suspension and doing fork conversions.

A FI 2-stroke conversion will sell. You know KRAN would have bought it for that 300rr, Lol

I'm just questioning the market for a potentially expensive product for older bikes...especially one made for Ktm. The kinda guy that spends big money like this, is also going to be the same guy that's on a brand new, FI bike. 

I won't get into the other mods, that's another whole discussion. It's anecdotal for sure, but out of my group of friends, there is largely an inverse correlation between aftermarket money spent on bikes and rider skill. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, firffighter said:

Well, guys are spending $700 on SC2 carbs, $300 on heads, so I don't think it's a stretch that guys would buy a bolt on FI system.  

BTW,  go get a quote on a full suspension revalve from Kreft. Doesn't take much to get you past $1000.

Basic EFI systems (like above) are getting cheaper every day. As they become more and more implemented, costs plummet. I could easily see a EFI 'kit' costing the same as a FCR, assuming the bikes stator can already handle it. Basic EFI still needs to be adjusted somewhat. Though with bluetooth connectivity and the ability to store a slew of maps on a phone, that rapidly is becoming a moot point. A long ride through significant air density changes, you stop, connect, load a new map and are riding again in thirty seconds.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, William1 said:

Basic EFI systems (like above) are getting cheaper every day. As they become more and more implemented, costs plummet. I could easily see a EFI 'kit' costing the same as a FCR, assuming the bikes stator can already handle it. Basic EFI still needs to be adjusted somewhat. Though with bluetooth connectivity and the ability to store a slew of maps on a phone, that rapidly is becoming a moot point. A long ride through significant air density changes, you stop, connect, load a new map and are riding again in thirty seconds.

I agree.  There are still guys snatching up RFS KTM's because they are absolutely one of the best motors ever built. 

I actually prefer the '08-'12 suspension on my older KTM's as do many others. 

If a fairly easy bolt on FI system is available at a reasonable price,  the market is certainly there. 

The ease of FI is an attraction for a whole market of off road riders. 

• Like 1