Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?  

558 members have voted

1. 1. What's been your experience with electric start only dirt bikes (no backup kicker):

• None of my electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • None of my riding buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.

3 hours ago, T Bolt USA said:

My kickstarter snapped and that left me stranded 

You should get estart too.

9 hours ago, G.P. said:

First posted on page three...this thread has run its course. 

Like all the others like this..

It’s simple. Be prepared or not.  Do what you like . Plain and simple a kicker and estart covers bases better. Don’t want that? Ok . :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 11/14/2020 at 3:43 AM, firffighter said:

I wonder how many of these naysayers own a boat? 

Or one with Feul injection? 

Guess they bump start them or kickstart them when they have electrical problems or battery goes dead. 

Or, they call us as they drift river or throw anchor in the middle of the shipping channel! :banghead:

My boat doesn't have a Kickstarter or an E starter?

On 11/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, PhilthyX said:

I'm trying to remember when any NON dirt bike actually came with a kick start?

I get that this is a dirt bike poll, but what about dual sport, adventure etc bikes that can ride off road then IMO you should include street bikes cus then its simple from there.

Aprilia 250 v twin 2 banger ( IIRC called RS250) would have been kick only.

That's the latest bike I  can think of.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:08 AM, shrubitup said:

as long as the bikes remain stored on your property, you are the last defense against mayhem. I'm always turning off the fuel petcock, lubing the chain, or other needed pieces before storing them for a few days. Let them do the "checks" but always double check their work.

I guess I could be a hardass like my dad was but I choose not to so we can keep riding together. If I did that with Dad in 1982, not only would he load up the bikes and head home, he would have sold my bike outright even if I paid for it.

Sounds like you had a dad that administered tough love as well.

On 11/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, firffighter said:

Emotionally invested......

More like thoroughly entertained! 

Looking forward to more:

"My buddy was riding solo, exactly 2321.6 miles from the nearest human contact, when, he crashed directly into Bigfoot, causing a mysterious electrical malfunction due to the hairy beast emitting EMP's, thus rendering his e-start incapacitated.  Luckily he had a kickstarter and was able to ride both himself and the Sasquatch back to civilization where they began a venture into specialized carb mods and heavy duty kickstarters for huge human beings and bipeds who refuse to accept new technologies within the industry. They sold this technology to a new upstart Hawaiian dirt bike company specializing in carb only, large kickstarter bikes with seat height of 42" and springs sprung for the average 285lb rider. First preorders to N Washington" 

Love the stories like these

I  thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, Robert Malcolm John Livingstone said:

Picture this you are hours into a trail ride ? miles from your truck it is pissing down rain you have done several deep creek crossings you trickle sliding down into a valley do another creek crossing and start up the other side of the valley it’s extremely slippery and you drop it and the engine cuts out ☹️ You get the bike upright hit the magic button and all you hear is Click Click Click? you are officially stuffed it’s too greasy to bump start the engine it’s too greasy to push the bike out of the valley you check all the electrical connections and still Click Click Click there is no bloody Kick start on these new bikes due to the extra ounces they weigh but to put a electric start you have a starter and hardware plus a battery so why not a back up kick start ffs  
what Do You Do Know to save ya self and your bike?????

Just save yourself ,  f  the bike .. you can then buy a Proper bike  with a KICKSTARTER  ! ! ! 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BushPig said:

Ah yes. I can paddle really fast and then bump start the Evinrude when the cord breaks.

Starterbox ftw

I had a 62cc Sko-Pod engine in my Baja's. Same starter as the one on top.

Ha. This was one of mine, bloke I sold it to must have posted a video :D

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drop-Bear said:

I had a 62cc Sko-Pod engine in my Baja's. Same starter as the one on top.

Ha. This was one of mine, bloke I sold it to must have posted a video :D

Better video.

That thing looks like it would boogie if he would actually let it open up.

Reminds me of when I had a 1/8. You're forever cleaning filters 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BushPig said:

That thing looks like it would boogie if he would actually let it open up.

Reminds me of when I had a 1/8. You're forever cleaning filters 

There's a video on YT somewhere, of me racing it. Did it easy. Oval track, WOT :D

It's the same as Karts. It's all about the setup. The setup on the car, but, as importantly, the setup in the TX.

I'll bet I could have you flying a RC heli in about 10 minutes. I cheat in the TX, with the setup. People are morons lol.
I can make an RC heli, just about uncrashable.

Got my first RC car when I was 12. Same as the bike. Had no help, had to work it out on my own.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

There's a video on YT somewhere, of me racing it. Did it easy. Oval track, WOT :D

It's the same as Karts. It's all about the setup. The setup on the car, but, as importantly, the setup in the TX.

I'll bet I could have you flying a RC heli in about 10 minutes. I cheat in the TX, with the setup. People are morons lol.
I can make an RC heli, just about uncrashable.

Got my first RC car when I was 12. Same as the bike. Had no help, had to work it out on my own.

Helis need a bit of practice nose-in. I played with them on the Sim a bit but couldn't afford to buy a real model. 

1 minute ago, BushPig said:

Helis need a bit of practice nose-in. I played with them on the Sim a bit but couldn't afford to buy a real model. 

Nose in with a heli is exactly the same as a car, or boat, when you're driving towards yourself. Reversing the controls becomes just as easy, dependant on the TX setup.

Until I'd flown an RC heli. I'd never used a computer, in my life. Yes, you can blame RC heli's for me being here :D

• Like 1

On 11/16/2020 at 2:43 PM, Henry Ford said:

When you commit to an electric start only bike you also commit to additional maintenance on that system. A battery tender should be used to keep the battery up to the job and prolong life. Going cheap on a replacement will only tempt I’ll fate. 
I recently added electric start to a big bore KTM. I can say there is virtually little to go wrong with the simple system. A good lipo hi amp battery should be used when the time comes. Mine is 150 amps. I can almost ride on the starter but of course never would!!

Meh, just make sure your InReach bill is paid up so you can satellite text yer buddies to come to the rescue when your shit fails. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2