ThumperTalk

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?  

498 members have voted

1. 1. What's been your experience with electric start only dirt bikes (no backup kicker):

• None of my electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • None of my riding buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.

5 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

And there’s a kicker kit for sale. How convenient. Take it off... Then make some more money selling it to the rider. My buddy just did this for his new 300 KTM 6 days and made his own capacitor..

It’s pretty much a ripoff. I guess it’s sort of good if there is at least an option to put it back on ? It’s still a ripoff when it was already on in the first place. It’s a plan for manufacturers to make more money. 

The 2020 on Yamaha WR’s lost the ability to add the kicker back, and my sons thought about KTM/Husky.  We know a couple of guys that have had The Euro bikes  (from new),  and the Frames just look hammered after a very short time. (Esp.the white Huskies).

In the end, they sacrificed the kicker for the Yamaha reliability and availability / Purchase price and lower cost of parts. (Only Honda is cheaper, but valve issues are more common.)

They have had many trouble free rides so far, but I’m sure the day will come when they have their first failures. A little prep, and most importantly, the attitude you face the issue with, matters most. After they bought the Estart bikes, we each got a ZacSpeed chest plate and backpack and are building an assortment of tools. Last ride my kick only crf450r lost a bolt several miles from the truck , my kid reached in his pack, had a couple spares in a ziplock bag, and the 8 mm to tighten it. From a PITA to no issue due to him wearing the pack, and spending a little prep time gathering things he thought we may need... just last year that wouldn’t have been true... every ride we try to be just a little more organized and prepared. Even so, I still forget extra fuel all too often! 

• Like 3

This video should help with these concerns. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Footy said:

This video should help with these concerns. 

First posted on page three...this thread has run its course. 

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, T Bolt USA said:

My kickstarter snapped and that left me stranded 

You should get estart too.

9 hours ago, G.P. said:

First posted on page three...this thread has run its course. 

Like all the others like this..

It’s simple. Be prepared or not.  Do what you like . Plain and simple a kicker and estart covers bases better. Don’t want that? Ok . :ride:

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

On 11/14/2020 at 3:43 AM, firffighter said:

I wonder how many of these naysayers own a boat? 

Or one with Feul injection? 

Guess they bump start them or kickstart them when they have electrical problems or battery goes dead. 

Or, they call us as they drift river or throw anchor in the middle of the shipping channel! :banghead:

My boat doesn't have a Kickstarter or an E starter?

On 11/15/2020 at 11:39 AM, PhilthyX said:

I'm trying to remember when any NON dirt bike actually came with a kick start?

I get that this is a dirt bike poll, but what about dual sport, adventure etc bikes that can ride off road then IMO you should include street bikes cus then its simple from there.

Aprilia 250 v twin 2 banger ( IIRC called RS250) would have been kick only.

That's the latest bike I  can think of.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:08 AM, shrubitup said:

as long as the bikes remain stored on your property, you are the last defense against mayhem. I'm always turning off the fuel petcock, lubing the chain, or other needed pieces before storing them for a few days. Let them do the "checks" but always double check their work.

I guess I could be a hardass like my dad was but I choose not to so we can keep riding together. If I did that with Dad in 1982, not only would he load up the bikes and head home, he would have sold my bike outright even if I paid for it.

Sounds like you had a dad that administered tough love as well.

On 11/18/2020 at 2:08 PM, firffighter said:

Emotionally invested......

More like thoroughly entertained! 

Looking forward to more:

"My buddy was riding solo, exactly 2321.6 miles from the nearest human contact, when, he crashed directly into Bigfoot, causing a mysterious electrical malfunction due to the hairy beast emitting EMP's, thus rendering his e-start incapacitated.  Luckily he had a kickstarter and was able to ride both himself and the Sasquatch back to civilization where they began a venture into specialized carb mods and heavy duty kickstarters for huge human beings and bipeds who refuse to accept new technologies within the industry. They sold this technology to a new upstart Hawaiian dirt bike company specializing in carb only, large kickstarter bikes with seat height of 42" and springs sprung for the average 285lb rider. First preorders to N Washington" 

Love the stories like these

I  thoroughly enjoyed that.

• Like 1

As for me having a kickstart saves my stingy ass buying another battery 

Now if only it holds charge long enough for the new owner / potential buyer to not realise the battery is stuffed 😏

• Haha 2

yes they can leave you stranded.   In extreme situations, if you are unable to make a fire you might die.  

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 8:40 PM, Robert Malcolm John Livingstone said:

Picture this you are hours into a trail ride 😃 miles from your truck it is pissing down rain you have done several deep creek crossings you trickle sliding down into a valley do another creek crossing and start up the other side of the valley it’s extremely slippery and you drop it and the engine cuts out ☹️ You get the bike upright hit the magic button and all you hear is Click Click Click😵 you are officially stuffed it’s too greasy to bump start the engine it’s too greasy to push the bike out of the valley you check all the electrical connections and still Click Click Click there is no bloody Kick start on these new bikes due to the extra ounces they weigh but to put a electric start you have a starter and hardware plus a battery so why not a back up kick start ffs  
what Do You Do Know to save ya self and your bike????😡

Just save yourself ,  f  the bike .. you can then buy a Proper bike  with a KICKSTARTER  ! ! ! 

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BushPig said:

Ah yes. I can paddle really fast and then bump start the Evinrude when the cord breaks.

Starterbox ftw

I had a 62cc Sko-Pod engine in my Baja's. Same starter as the one on top.

Ha. This was one of mine, bloke I sold it to must have posted a video :D

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Drop-Bear said:

I had a 62cc Sko-Pod engine in my Baja's. Same starter as the one on top.

Ha. This was one of mine, bloke I sold it to must have posted a video :D

Better video.

That thing looks like it would boogie if he would actually let it open up.

Reminds me of when I had a 1/8. You're forever cleaning filters 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BushPig said:

That thing looks like it would boogie if he would actually let it open up.

Reminds me of when I had a 1/8. You're forever cleaning filters 

There's a video on YT somewhere, of me racing it. Did it easy. Oval track, WOT :D

It's the same as Karts. It's all about the setup. The setup on the car, but, as importantly, the setup in the TX.

I'll bet I could have you flying a RC heli in about 10 minutes. I cheat in the TX, with the setup. People are morons lol.
I can make an RC heli, just about uncrashable.

Got my first RC car when I was 12. Same as the bike. Had no help, had to work it out on my own.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

There's a video on YT somewhere, of me racing it. Did it easy. Oval track, WOT :D

It's the same as Karts. It's all about the setup. The setup on the car, but, as importantly, the setup in the TX.

I'll bet I could have you flying a RC heli in about 10 minutes. I cheat in the TX, with the setup. People are morons lol.
I can make an RC heli, just about uncrashable.

Got my first RC car when I was 12. Same as the bike. Had no help, had to work it out on my own.

Helis need a bit of practice nose-in. I played with them on the Sim a bit but couldn't afford to buy a real model. 

1 minute ago, BushPig said:

Helis need a bit of practice nose-in. I played with them on the Sim a bit but couldn't afford to buy a real model. 

Nose in with a heli is exactly the same as a car, or boat, when you're driving towards yourself. Reversing the controls becomes just as easy, dependant on the TX setup.

Until I'd flown an RC heli. I'd never used a computer, in my life. Yes, you can blame RC heli's for me being here :D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drop-Bear said:

Tell that to the RC hobbyists :D

Nightmare.

That and many other reasons is why they switched to electric. 

Edited by Zinergy

As a small child in the 1940s I remember an uncle raging about car makers no longer making cars with a crank.  You can see what happened with that.  And in a few years our kids will be riding bikes with nothing but an E motor/starter.

• Like 2