ThumperTalk

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?  

498 members have voted

1. 1. What's been your experience with electric start only dirt bikes (no backup kicker):

• None of my electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • None of my riding buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.

2 minutes ago, RawbW said:

I get what you’re saying, but I mean, what do you gain over not having one? 2lbs over estart only that’s halfway down the chassis? All the people complaining about bike weight are always fat and out of shape anyway. They probably don’t want the kickstart because their fat belly gets in the way of their knee during kicking lol.

Who’s calling who fat. I’m telling my mommy. 😆

• Haha 3

Just now, SteveThe Snakes said:

Who’s calling who fat. I’m telling my mommy. 😆

She’s just gonna bring you a pork fat sandwich with extra Mayo 😛

I entered "not stranded yet" in the poll, but a more realistic answer would be "its too soon to comment. I've only had a kick-less bike for 6 weeks, haven't experienced cold weather yet. I am concerned. Of course with a TPI/FI bike, you need some battery just to run the computer. And the fuel pump needs power.

I've been looking at the high-tech "jump starter packs" that they have for cars. If I find one sized for a bike and that will fit in my CamelBak, I might carry one.

• Like 2

None of the above.

My bike has the compression raised and the e start wont work at cold temps on a cold engine. Once warmed up its been great. 

• Like 1

I had a start button wire break behind my number plate on my 2015 350 xcf without a kickstarter. I voted that it left me stranded because I had starter issues, but it didn’t leave me stranded. Even with the Rekluse I was able to bump start it no problem.  Would have been an easy fix on the trail if I hadn’t been able to bump start.  Hardest part was finding where the wire was broken. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PhilthyX said:

Ya I won't buy one but carry stuff to fix the magic button or say a kill switch if needed BUT having them setup up so they are protected as much as possible in the first place is IMO key

For example I believe you said there where 2 separate issues and could they have been prevent?

Sure if they didnt wreck it would not have happened 🙂

just fluke incidences.  Friend wrecked in rocks and the way the bike fell and bars turned just right a rock smashed button.   My wife, wrecking into trees, branch grabbed wires somehow and ripped them out.

1:1000 odds of it happening but it can happen

• Like 2

4 hours ago, atpalmer said:

Buddy not stranded but ride cut short. Used a lithium jump start battery in backpack to temporarily replace internally shorted battery and limp back to truck. 

I’d like to learn more about that jump start battery please. 

Moab 2018. In the middle of Fins-n-Things in one bottom of one the sand washes. Brand new Beta Xtrainer battery dies. No kickstarter,  Rekluse. 

I had a $60, 2lb. Lio jump pack. Fired her up and rode the other 25 miles of Fins-n-Things. 

Far more issues with unprepared riders, injuries, and unpredictable situations when out in the backcountry.  

You want to see a real emergency? This situation happened in very remote area. I met one of the guys who was on that ride. One of the guy's life was truly in jeopardy, with pneumothorax and internal bleeding. 

Better have your shit together,  stay calm, be prepared,  make a plan,  and address the situation. 

Edited by firffighter
  • Sad 1

I have 2015 ktm. New bendix, new battery, extra ground wires etc. Every now and then the starter works. I would be stranded or a definite goat rodeo every ride if the kicker didn’t work. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

Good just don’t tell her I already ate two of them. image.jpeg.c9c725a1e85b56a3776df56bb08d5870.jpeg

That’s just how I like em 😛

• Like 1

A buddy's '18 beta 390's battery didn't have enough power to crank and I let him take my bike back to his truck for jumper cables. His bike had a charging issue that was later fixed. It worked out good for me, I needed a nap. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

Moab 2018. In the middle of Fins-n-Things in one bottom of one the sand washes. Brand new Beta Xtrainer battery dies. No kickstarter,  Rekluse. 

I had a $60, 2lb. Lio jump pack. Fired her up and rode the other 25 miles of Fins-n-Things. 

That's damm impressive on a 10 mile long trail!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, motovita said:

That's damm impressive on a 10 mile long trail!!

Plus the trail out to here:

MVIMG_20180522_163113.thumb.jpg.8b78c36dd11d7f669dc9d42f965a7c6d.jpg

And Steelbender, plus the road back to the Rental house.

But hey, the X trainer made the entire day with a dead battery and no kickstarter 

Edited by firffighter
  • Like 3

My 2018 Beta 390 rrs has left me stranded more than three times in a year before Beta replaced the wiring harness a month ago.  Only one times I was able to bump start it after pushing it up a long steep hill just so I could coast back down to start it.  The other times I had to use my friends battery from his bike to start it.  I still love my beta but I wish I’d gotten a kick start also.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

4 hours ago, Archemack said:

I have actually had to worry about that before. Kickstarter on my XR200R fell off and completely vanished on a ride one day. Thankfully could bump start it on a hill and then ride straight back to the car! 

Now this is a valid point. There should be a has your kickstart failed/fallen off option so we can compare numbers. It happened to My cousins KX500 the time before last I rode with him. Lucky it was a hilly ride to bump start it easy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, firffighter said:

You can bump start a Rekluse. You just need an allen key to adjust the clutch slave cylinder...bump start it, then adjust it back. 

Edited by G.P.
  • Like 2