ThumperTalk

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?

Do electric start only (no backup kicker) dirt bikes really leave owners stranded?  

498 members have voted

1. 1. What's been your experience with electric start only dirt bikes (no backup kicker):

• None of my electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • None of my riding buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My electric start only dirt bikes have left me stranded because of a starting system issue.
    • My buddies electric start only dirt bikes have left them stranded because of a starting system issue.

3 minutes ago, G.P. said:

You can bump start a Rekluse. You just need an allen key to adjust the clutch slave cylinder...bump start it, then adjust it back. 

Yep, we were prepared to do that, but the deep sand wash was not too inviting to push start and the jump pack worked. 

Edited by firffighter

It would cost the manufacturer hardly anything extra to include the kickstarter as standard, and most of us probably don't care about the extra weight, so imo they should bloody well include it. Make it easier to remove for the guys that don't want it. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 3

9 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

That is what I'm looking for. Can you give me a brand, model or link?

I have a different one, but this one looks even lighter 

RMZ450, broke the kicker. CRF450R, broke the kicker. YZ250, broke the kicker.

Husqvarna TE449, battery only, no kicker, never a problem. DR/XRL/KLR 650, same - never a problem. All that being said :blah:, I still like electric start bikes to have kickers. If you can't have fun on a bike that weighs 2 pounds more, go to the gym and then try again. :bonk:

• Helpful 2

7 hours ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

@shrubitup magic button failed last time we rode. Think it was a loose wire but we were glad he had kick backup so we didn't have to stop riding to fix it. 

Loose battery terminal wire. Next day worked perfect after I tightened the screws. Felt pretty dumb that day. :blush:

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, firffighter said:

Far more issues with unprepared riders, injuries, and unpredictable situations when out in the backcountry.  

You want to see a real emergency? This situation happened in very remote area. I met one of the guys who was on that ride. One of the guy's life was truly in jeopardy, with pneumothorax and internal bleeding. 

Better have your shit together,  stay calm, be prepared,  make a plan,  and address the situation. 

I bet he won't ride the left side of a road again.

5 hours ago, SteveThe Snakes said:

You die hards will move on over time. That kicker your talking about is getting old looking. 😂

image.thumb.png.6cb11952036b974511df2d3f91d5ff29.png

After spinning one of those Lucas kit looked fabulous 

Just now, shrubitup said:

I bet he won't ride the left side of a road again.

I talked at length with a guy on that ride, he bought some parts from me several years ago. His story left a huge impression.  Being prepared for the worst is essential to riding offroad for me.

It was just a freak accident. Both in same riding group. Was at Gifford, pretty high up into the mts. 

The Group got separated temporarily at an intersection.  Both groups realized the mistake and headed back to last known intersection to meet back up. No one's fault. 

One rider was severely injured and needed immediate attention. The other pretty busted up, but stable.  

Everyone in my group is at minimum first aid trained and I'm lucky to have lots of EMS training and background with my job and our group almost always has a parametric. I carry a well sorted dirt bike specific EMS bag. Enough to make due out in the remote areas and some essential life saving pieces.  

I still always carry a SPOT for emergency situations.  I hope I never have to use it, but there are some situations where you absolutely need to have helo come to the rescue.  

I won't ride with others who aren't prepared. Gotta have your bike prepped, your shit squared away,  and have some common sense.  

And, bring beer! 

• Like 3

My Beta came with oil injection, which I didn't want and removed, and no bloody kick starter, which I added.

No way I am going remote without a kick starter. The tropics play hell with batteries and switches and it's way too hot to be push starting bikes. Ask me how I know this.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Now this is a valid point. There should be a has your kickstart failed/fallen off option so we can compare numbers. It happened to My cousins KX500 the time before last I rode with him. Lucky it was a hilly ride to bump start it easy.

Nice to know I'm not the only one its happened to! I stopped for lunch and then went to start my bike again and there was no kickstart lever there 😅

11 hours ago, ThumperTalk said:

More and more dirt bikes are coming with electric start but no back up kicker. Purists rage that this is stupid and that owners will find themselves in the middle of nowhere without a means to start their bikes. 100% plausible, but how often does this really occur? 

Please take our poll; we're curious if the speculation aligns with rider experiences. Note: your vote should be based upon YOUR personal experiences, not what you've read or seen on the Internet. 

nokicker.jpg

How about all the guys that just wont buy an estart only bike? Kicker and estart is simply the smartest way to go .. There’s a bunch of those. Im one. For years I rode with at least one or more ktm riders in our group riding and only kicking because the estart was broken. I’ve ridden and my battery went south a couple of times on different bikes 2 and 4 stroke.. and been with with others that had their batteries go and just used the kicker to just keep on riding all day. I maintain my bikes well. I ride with guys that take care of their bikes. No half ass bikes . We want to enjoy riding and not fixing in the trails. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

We’ve had quite a few interesting bike issues while out riding. 

I have a kickstart and the only thing dependent on the battery is the E-Start. 

I have swapped batteries two or three times now with bikes that are dependent on their battery.

• Helpful 2

6 hours ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Now this is a valid point. There should be a has your kickstart failed/fallen off option so we can compare numbers. It happened to My cousins KX500 the time before last I rode with him. Lucky it was a hilly ride to bump start it easy.

Easy to sort this one out & you can do the shifter at the same time

IMG_20201112_201623.jpg

IMG_20201112_201801.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chief said:

We’ve had quite a few interesting bike issues while out riding. 

I have a kickstart and the only thing dependent on the battery is the E-Start. 

I have swapped batteries two or three times now with bikes that are dependent on their battery.

Seen this done also

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThumperTalk said:

More and more dirt bikes are coming with electric start but no back up kicker. Purists rage that this is stupid and that owners will find themselves in the middle of nowhere without a means to start their bikes. 100% plausible, but how often does this really occur? 

Please take our poll; we're curious if the speculation aligns with rider experiences. Note: your vote should be based upon YOUR personal experiences, not what you've read or seen on the Internet. 

nokicker.jpg

My 2015 fc 250 has left me stranded at the very back part of the track I ride at due to a electric starting issue. I believe I have finally resolved the issue

I HAVE NOT had an issue with the starting system in the 12 years I have run a bike with no kickstarter. 

I HAVE NOT had friends who have had issues with the starting system.

I HAVE had issues with the charging system on e-start only bikes due to over drawing of the stator not adequately charging the battery due to fans/too large of an aftermarket light draw and a friend HAVE an issue due to the failure of an aftermarket part (non-OEM stator).

I HAVE broken a starter button in a crash, but that was a simple rip the wires out of the back of the broken button and "hotwire" to start.  I have since installed backup e-start buttons that are tucked up out of the way by the main frame.

• Like 4

I should add the following for my kickstart only bikes:

I HAVE had multiple kickstarters break on my KX500.  Snapped off at the top where the aluminum lever pivots out on the steel mount, i.e. not a lost retaining bolt.

I HAVE had an aftermarket stator fail on my XR650R that required a long push to a spot we could get the truck to it.

I HAVE had a friend with the wiring harness on his CRF450X (carb) get pinched and stop the bike cold requiring a recovery process: We could not find the broken/pinched harness wire in the dark that shorted out the ignition system.

I HAVE seen multiple Honda CRF450X electric starters fail due to lack of maintenance (worn out brushes).

Edited by eastreich
  • Like 2