BROC TICKLE TO MCR

6 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Yea, the generations of my family. Personal experience is a pretty good metric for forming opinions. Should I based my views on the matter based on the generations of your family...who I've never met?

I bet if you asked those weak kids from the current generation they would toot their own horn as well and how great they are compared to the previous just as you did. You kids just dont have any respect for those who came before you.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 1

Just now, Zinergy said:

I bet if you asked those weak kids from the current generation they would say toot their own horn as well and how great they are compared to the previous. You kids just dont have any respect for those who came before you.

Oh yea, they saying that while falling they're off the hay wagon barfing their brains out after 30 minutes...while the 52 year old me does the same task all day long?

I have plenty respect for the ones that came before us, just not for many of the ones following us. 

3 minutes ago, indy rider said:

Oh yea, they saying that while falling they're off the hay wagon barfing their brains out after 30 minutes...while the 52 year old me does the same task all day long?

I have plenty respect for the ones that came before us, just not for many of the ones following us. 

Sorry, I didnt get that from your "they just punched a clock and earned hourly for someone else" comment. 

1 hour ago, indy rider said:

Weak and lazy? lol Sorry but mine would say the opposite and did.

Neither my father, uncles or grandfathers were any where near as physically fit as I am and they clocked in and just earned hourly from someone else. I've started and run my own business and provided jobs to others my entire adult life...with zero financial help from anyone to do so. And could destroy them in any sort of physical activity when they were in their prime. 

You're speaking of you, an individual. Zinergy is speaking of a group. And he is right!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Piney Woods said:

You're speaking of you, an individual. Zinergy is speaking of a group. And he is right!

I used my personal experiences to prove my point. I in no way suggested my experience is that of others. My point was that his cut and dry opinion that all previous generations were tougher than the ones that follow isn't always true.

3 hours ago, Husqvarna6 said:

Sounds like we just need to start the draft back

That would be a shocker to some of today's youth.  lol

1 hour ago, mog said:

Smart phones have ruined today's kids  

BS, poor parenting has ruined today's kids.  Parents want to be their friends instead of their parents.

22 minutes ago, Randy300XC said:

Bring back corporal punishment. For some reason we are not allowed to teach kids a lesson anymore...

Not true.  For the last few decades the public education system has indoctrinated our youth to believe that.  The law still allows you to corporally disciplining a child.  You can't beat them with a bat but you can still discipline them.

14 minutes ago, indy rider said:

I used my personal experiences to prove my point. I in no way suggested my experience is that of others. My point was that his cut and dry opinion that all previous generations were tougher than the ones that follow isn't always true.

Not always true but a generally accurate statement that generations after ours are less tough and more tolerant than previous generations.  My kids are from two, almost three societal generations ago and have a much different work and moral ethic than the ones that followed them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, indy rider said:

IMO all succeeding generations since the beginning of time have grown/evolved to a "softer" state.  Several reasons/factors at play.

• Like 1

Something is teaching kids that no matter how hard they try their future is still grim. So they are all just living for the day. I see a lot more homelessness coming if that’s what is truly going on. I told my son that it may seem like there is more competition than when I was young, but he doesn’t have anything to worry about because most of the population is too lazy to try. And that is really all anyone needs to do is keep a good attitude and just try. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's undeniable that we have an unprecedented number of "adults" not working and living in their parents basement.  It's also true that deferred gratification is less prevalent now, and it's one of the cornerstones of civilizations.  Why this is problematic is that we have far fewer males graduating from college, and the workforce is struggling with getting in young talent that develops.  Right now the under 30 crowd of professionals change jobs frequently because they feel that after 2 years if they haven't been promoted to senior levels the problem is the employer.  This isn't anecdotal information, this is based on studies.  I think it's because cell phones have provided so much information that these "young adults" can't handle the unknown, participation awards don't encourage EARNING what you want, and the huge divorce rate having created a bargaining environment for kids instead of a disciplined environment.

Edited by mxaniac
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mxaniac said:

While you're mostly correct, a very significant problem exists with the 30 and under crowd.  Significant enough that fortune 500 companies are shiting bricks.  I know this because 1). I was involved in a recruiting program for a fortune 500 company trying to resolve these issues by flushing large amounts of cash at people that felt it was unreasonable to expect them to show up to work everyday.  2). I was teaching at a very well known university where the students would arbitrarily decide they had no interest in completing assignments and tried to boycott them.  I literally had to prevent students from graduating on more than one occasion until they completed coursework after the semester ended.  They actually thought it was OK to not complete things because they had other things they would prefer to do.  3). I know of numerous examples first hand of companies investing in automation because they can no longer get people to work.

I do know if some great hard working people under 30, but it's no longer the norm it's the exception.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Learning institutions? Parents? It seemed to start with participation trophies,but whose idea were those?

*edit*Nevermind. I should have read the rest of the thread before replying. Lol

Edited by timmyp8823
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, timmyp8823 said:

Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Learning institutions? Parents? It seemed to start with participation trophies,but whose idea were those?

*edit*Nevermind. I should have read the rest of the thread before replying. Lol

I tell people this all the time. Our generation....gen Z....&%$#@!ed our kids up 

When I was a kid all summer long I was out the door in the morning ate lunch at some other kids house and made sure I was home for dinner. My parents had no idea what we were doing and we all survived. Today we call it "free range parenting" and it's considered wrong by most but it is how the world was for most kids until a couple decades ago 

My kids grew up on a cul-de-sac with 7 other kids and none of the parents would let them go to the 711 for a Slurpee without a parent. The 711 was a 3 minute bike ride through the subdivision 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I tell people this all the time. Our generation....gen Z....&%$#@!ed our kids up 

When I was a kid all summer long I was out the door in the morning ate lunch at some other kids house and made sure I was home for dinner. My parents had no idea what we were doing and we all survived. Today we call it "free range parenting" and it's considered wrong by most but it is how the world was for most kids until a couple decades ago 

My kids grew up on a cul-de-sac with 7 other kids and none of the parents would let them go to the 711 for a Slurpee without a parent. The 711 was a 3 minute bike ride through the subdivision 

I have noticed something that has blew my mind.. I'm raising my granddaughter and I don't know if its just the area schools or what, But i seems to me like the kids are getting trained that EVERYTHING needs to be approved by their "superiors".   I have a good piece of ground for playing around on a dirt bike with, and when i purchased a PW80 for her, the first thing she asked me was "Is this allowed?"       my vintage head exploded !

So i payed more attention on school visit days, the kids are getting trained like they are part of an ISO-9000 company..  every thing must be per procedure and approved by a higher up !!!!

"land of the free   and home of the brave "  is a lost concept

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

Why did that change?  Did the media scare everyone into thinking the world is full of child predators?  For my kids, in general if they were staying the night at someone's house or going to someone's house that was far enough away we had to drive the kids there, I wanted to meet the parents first but otherwise I didn't do anything different than my parents did.  A lot of the kids, they couldn't go to a neighborhood birthday party without their parents going along too.  It was really weird, invite a few kids over to play with my kids and I'm suddenly hosting as many adults as children.  Other kids couldn't ride their bike to the store to get an icecream or anything like that.  Some kids had to call home constantly and check in.

My adult son and I were talking last night how nearly everyone he hangs out with is a former or current MX racer.  We went through the list of who was at a party he went to, nearly all of them raced.  They are independent, most moved out early from their parents, work on their own cars and bike, and they all rode their bicycles miles and miles away from home as a kid.  They are a different breed.

I think we should stop watching ALL news media, every last bit.  Written, videos, blogs, everything.  If they have no audience they have no advertisers and they lose all power.  

• Like 3