BROC TICKLE TO MCR

25 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

I tell people this all the time. Our generation....gen Z....&%$#@!ed our kids up 

When I was a kid all summer long I was out the door in the morning ate lunch at some other kids house and made sure I was home for dinner. My parents had no idea what we were doing and we all survived. Today we call it "free range parenting" and it's considered wrong by most but it is how the world was for most kids until a couple decades ago 

My kids grew up on a cul-de-sac with 7 other kids and none of the parents would let them go to the 711 for a Slurpee without a parent. The 711 was a 3 minute bike ride through the subdivision 

I grew up much the same as you.  We had to check in by the time the street lights came on.

My kids were fortunate to grow up in a small semi-rural community that seems to have escaped the political-correct insanity that has consumed much of the country.  (Our elementary school has a mandatory outdoor education program at a camp in Estes Park, honors veterans on Veteran's Day, has the military do helicopter exhibition landings on the field, has a number of Air Force Cadets volunteer to help with their annual fall festival, has an annual Christmas program - including Hanukkah music, etc.)  In addition, most of the kids still enjoy the outdoors.

I would agree, though, that a good percentage of Generation Z parents are just about helpless; zero outdoors skills, mechanical skills, home repair skills, etc..

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, daled said:

I have noticed something that has blew my mind.. I'm raising my granddaughter and I don't know if its just the area schools or what, But i seems to me like the kids are getting trained that EVERYTHING needs to be approved by their "superiors".   I have a good piece of ground for playing around on a dirt bike with, and when i purchased a PW80 for her, the first thing she asked me was "Is this allowed?"       my vintage head exploded !

So i payed more attention on school visit days, the kids are getting trained like they are part of an ISO-9000 company..  every thing must be per procedure and approved by a higher up !!!!

"land of the free   and home of the brave "  is a lost concept

That is the march of liberal authoritarianism through the institutions.

Same here in Australia the theft of agency and free will from youngsters and those not inclined to resist, is frightening

• Like 3

5 hours ago, KABLEXXL TRUMP 2020 said:

Will BT20 make it to all races? I like him, hope he can, go MC Honda.... 🙂

well look at you being all supportive.🤣

• Haha 1

Social media has ****** up people’s mindsets. Regardless of generations. Of course you can’t point at one single thing but I believe it is the biggest.

Anyways, it’s a shame about Hill and his priorities. But hey, I’ll support him if he decides to go his brother’s route of free riding. There’s an obvious market for that. These guys don’t owe us anything like another poster said. As long as they are applying themselves in what they enjoy and sustain themselves with it I’m all for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CORider63 said:

I grew up much the same as you.  We had to check in by the time the street lights came on.

My kids were fortunate to grow up in a small semi-rural community that seems to have escaped the political-correct insanity that has consumed much of the country.  (Our elementary school has a mandatory outdoor education program at a camp in Estes Park, honors veterans on Veteran's Day, has the military do helicopter exhibition landings on the field, has a number of Air Force Cadets volunteer to help with their annual fall festival, has an annual Christmas program - including Hanukkah music, etc.)  In addition, most of the kids still enjoy the outdoors.

I would agree, though, that a good percentage of Generation Z parents are just about helpless; zero outdoors skills, mechanical skills, home repair skills, etc..

Some of it is due to parenting but some is due to change as well, as we go from an industrial country to an information country. Mechanical skills and entertainment by the machinery of that age (the shit we love) was outgrowth of the work of the industrial society if you think about it. It is not really surprising that now computers, video games, and information are an outgrowth of today's work which has largely supplanted the previous industrial age. (Lots of people even watch other people play video games which I can't quite get my head around)

My kid is 13 he has been exposed to all kinds of outdoor activities has dirtbikes, moutainbikes,  ATVs, electrics and all kinds of outdoor etc. Recently he wanted a new gaming computer and he told me he didn't want anything pre-packaged. He went out with money he'd saved from grandmas, bdays, and doing jobs for us and the neighbors and bought everything from the ground up and completely constructed it by himself motherboard, cpu, peripherals, and etc and only bent one pin in the entire job (first time too). He had no help from anyone (even fixed the pin himself), except at the end I helped him a bit when Winblows wouldn't boot due to BIOS settings.

So he won't work on dirtbikes, go mountain biking, or ride in our backyard half-pipe anymore,  but ask him about the specs of the latest Nvidia GPU and he can make your head spin with numbers. And I am ok with that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chaconne said:

Some of it is due to parenting but some is due to change as well, as we go from an industrial country to an information country. Mechanical skills and entertainment by the machinery of that age (the shit we love) was outgrowth of the work of the industrial society if you think about it. It is not really surprising that now computers, video games, and information are an outgrowth of today's work which has largely supplanted the previous industrial age. (Lots of people even watch other people play video games which I can't quite get my head around)

My kid is 13 he has been exposed to all kinds of outdoor activities has dirtbikes, moutainbikes,  ATVs, electrics and all kinds of outdoor etc. Recently he wanted a new gaming computer and he told me he didn't want anything pre-packaged. He went out with money he'd saved from grandmas, bdays, and doing jobs for us and the neighbors and bought everything from the ground up and completely constructed it by himself motherboard, cpu, peripherals, and etc and only bent one pin in the entire job (first time too). He had no help from anyone (even fixed the pin himself), except at the end I helped him a bit when Winblows wouldn't boot due to BIOS settings.

So he won't work on dirtbikes, go mountain biking, or ride in our backyard half-pipe anymore,  but ask him about the specs of the latest Nvidia GPU and he can make your head spin with numbers. And I am ok with that.

I will grant you some of those points, but I was playing video games in the 70's and building / using computers since the late 70's.  It's really the cell phones , the Internet, and Internet speeds, Internet Accessibility,  the explosion of the Internet content, and Social Media that have made the biggest difference.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CORider63 said:

I will grant you some of those points, but I was playing video games in the 70's and building / using computers since the late 70's.  It's really the cell phones , the Internet, and Internet speeds, Internet Accessibility,  the explosion of the Internet content, and Social Media that have made the biggest difference.

Agreed.

Sooner or later all these increased possibilities are due to more computing power and the creativity to put it to work in new, interesting, and sometimes crazy ways.

I have had the joy and grief of being able to work on almost every part of it from chips and drivers to networking/telecoms/cell to CDNs/content and apps and now back to chips again and maybe VR and AR and wearables in the near future.:ride: And assembly is still my favorite language to code in which you may have done in the 70s...:cool:

7 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Agreed.

Sooner or later all these increased possibilities are due to more computing power and the creativity to put it to work in new, interesting, and sometimes crazy ways.

I have had the joy and grief of being able to work on almost every part of it from chips and drivers to networking/telecoms/cell to CDNs/content and apps and now back to chips again and maybe VR and AR and wearables in the near future.:ride: And assembly is still my favorite language to code in which you may have done in the 70s...:cool:

Yep; Assembly Language on a home-built 8080, Trash80's, Nova 400's and Nova 800's, Charles Rivers Data Systems, and Machine Language / Hexadecimal rocker switches on one of these:

797587996_ModComp1Computer.jpg.a6fa5bc32ea174132a4600defe1f90cd.jpg

8 hours ago, CORider63 said:

And the fact that people only align themselves with like minded people on social media. Hearing the same thing over and over and receiving nothing but positive feedback convinces them that their views are the only views that matter. When confronted with opposition they overreact. Politics has always been a volatile subject but now trivial opposing views are considered hostile

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 5

16 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

And the fact that people only align themselves with like minded people on social media. Hearing the same thing over and over and receiving nothing but positive feedback convinces them that their views are the only views that matter. When confronted with opposition they overreact. Politics has always been a volatile subject but now trivial opposing views are considered hostile

That is why all of us like minded TT's are convinced that KTM makes the best bikes in the world.. and if you think different, you are being hostile !   

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, CORider63 said:

Yep; Assembly Language on a home-built 8080, Trash80's, Nova 400's and Nova 800's, Charles Rivers Data Systems, and Machine Language / Hexadecimal rocker switches on one of these:

i used to play around on a Trash80, then jumped up to an IBM with ONE ENTIRE MEG of memory !!!   Cadillac baby....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, daled said:

That is why all of us like minded TT's are convinced that KTM makes the best bikes in the world.. and if you think different, you are being hostile !   

I don't think anyone who disagree is hostile 

Wrong yes 👍

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

Not sure if it wasn't always like this. Social media might just make it more obvious.

Reading and learning from multiple sources and getting information from different sides was always the mantra, but in my experience few people actually did that. And the psychos always over reacted. Maybe the megaphone of social media just makes it louder?

A lot of people also seem to think there is something inherently more accurate in digital information which I can't seem to get my head around. Bullshit can just as easily be represented with 0s and 1s as it can with an analog signal. 

43 minutes ago, mog said:

I don't think anyone who disagree is hostile 

That's because your the hostile one 

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Chaconne said:

You said "numbers " 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MotorBoatin said:

:applause::applause:

51 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

That's because your the hostile one 

Lol  hostile 

Your still wrong 😂

4 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I'd agree with you, BUT THEN WE'D BOTH BE WRONG 😈😈😈

Paradox.