Jump to content
tim2007

Holcombe does it again

Recommended Posts

steve_holcombe_201114_endurogp_portugal_2703.jpg.bb675ffd42e5a5a70dc5f35850265df3.jpg

Steve Holcombe has become the 2020 EnduroGP World Champion after a dramatic final day’s racing saw Brad Freeman lead the entire day only to dramatically run out of fuel in the last test – Andrea Verona grabs the E1 World Championship and EnduroGP bronze medal while Jane Daniels smashes the Women’s World Cup class.

EnduroGP final day in a nutshell:

Tough, tough riding conditions brought out the best in Brad Freeman on the decisive day’s racing in the 2020 EnduroGP championship. The chips were down in the contest between the Beta teammates and in horrible riding conditions Freeman rode his socks off.

A decisive moment on lap three saw Brad nearly 10 seconds fastest overall while Holcombe lost almost 30 seconds and it looked like the moment the 2020 EnduroGP world title had been won and lost.

But the pendulum swung back in favour of Holcombe as first Freeman’s bike spluttered through test eight before finally giving up the game in the ninth and final test having ran out of fuel.

That final twist in the plot handed Josep Garcia the GP day win and second place to Holcombe who was able to claim the overall title. “Honestly I don’t deserve to win after the way I rode today but after how I have ridden all season, I do.” Said the now seven-time World Champion.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to Beta going 1-2 OA in enduro GP, and TM getting 3rd and 5th OA.  

Sure hope that KTM and Husky bring back the factory teams to enduroGP.  Josep Garcia got 6th OA, only racing 2 of the 4 rounds!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don't tell me the poor mpg of a carburetor just cost Freeman and the 3002t the Championship? What the heck happened? What are the rules for refueling? Apparently they knew going into test 9 there was a problem but weren't allowed to add fuel away from the pits? That had to suck for Brad knowing he was doomed.

Anybody find any updates?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Please don't tell me the poor mpg of a carburetor just cost Freeman and the 3002t the Championship?

On a similar note, Mika Ahola missed out on the overall championships when he was riding VOR due to a faulty sparkplug cap!  How frustrating!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Factory Beta had their favorite rider they they wanted to win the championship 😮

 

BTW- that was a joke, I have no idea what happened 🤷🏻‍♀️

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Please don't tell me the poor mpg of a carburetor just cost Freeman and the 3002t the Championship? What the heck happened? What are the rules for refueling? Apparently they knew going into test 9 there was a problem but weren't allowed to add fuel away from the pits? That had to suck for Brad knowing he was doomed.

Anybody find any updates?

There’s no poor mpg of carbs. But yeah.. what happened? Where did you see going in 9 tests they weren’t allowed to add fuel away from the pits?? But why can’t go to the pits?? Why do you say Brad knew he was”doomed”??? Please link sources when  you make statements like this? 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see many europeans worried about fuel consumption as the riding areas are not as big. From what I know the loop for that GP was 60km. Fueling on course was permitted but by riders only, this was a very strict rule from people first hand at the event. I would imagine most pros don't run full tanks (Especially in wet muddy events) and use far more fuel than all of us. I think just a really bad miscalculation on the final lap/tests.

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There’s no poor mpg of carbs. But yeah.. what happened? Where did you see going in 9 tests they weren’t allowed to add fuel away from the pits?? But why can’t go to the pits?? Why do you say Brad knew he was”doomed”??? Please link sources when  you make statements like this? 

 During test 8 the bike was sputtering, so they knew of the problem, but were apparently not allowed to do anything about it even though there was plenty of time. It appears that Brad made a decision to run less fuel to lighten the load and underestimated?

https://www.endurogp.org/en/holcombe-endurogp-champion-dramatic-finale

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neomxdave said:

I don't see many europeans worried about fuel consumption as the riding areas are not as big. From what I know the loop for that GP was 60km. Fueling on course was permitted but by riders only, this was a very strict rule from people first hand at the event. I would imagine most pros don't run full tanks (Especially in wet muddy events) and use far more fuel than all of us. I think just a really bad miscalculation on the final lap/tests.

60km is a little over 37 miles. Not surprised if he ran out - we're lucky to get 40 miles on a tank without twisting the throttle the way Freeman does. Unforced error on the team's part.

  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

 During test 8 the bike was sputtering, so they knew of the problem, but were apparently not allowed to do anything about it even though there was plenty of time. It appears that Brad made a decision to run less fuel to lighten the load and underestimated?

https://www.endurogp.org/en/holcombe-endurogp-champion-dramatic-finale

So again there’s no mention of Brad making s decision to run less fuel. Thanks for the link though..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Neomxdave said:

I don't see many europeans worried about fuel consumption as the riding areas are not as big. From what I know the loop for that GP was 60km. Fueling on course was permitted but by riders only, this was a very strict rule from people first hand at the event. I would imagine most pros don't run full tanks (Especially in wet muddy events) and use far more fuel than all of us. I think just a really bad miscalculation on the final lap/tests.

Maybe?? That was a brutal course though snd raining..,

 

 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta just posted about it on Fb , they just say that Freeman ran out of gas , I'm sure he will post a video about on his youtube channel to explain better what happened.

Respect to Holcombe who is a great rider , I understand that races are also strategy ,  but Freeman is the winner and I'm sure that 99% of Beta owners in the world are with him .

Hurray to Freeman , the world champion !

GO BETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ged93 said:

Beta just posted about it on Fb , they just say that Freeman ran out of gas , I'm sure he will post a video about on his youtube channel to explain better what happened.

Respect to Holcombe who is a great rider , I understand that races are also strategy ,  but Freeman is the winner and I'm sure that 99% of Beta owners in the world are with him .

Hurray to Freeman , the world champion !

GO BETAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

It’s racing. No excuses. Holcombe fought all year long like Freeman did. Holcombe is the champion.  If you or I didn’t put enough gas racing and we ran out it’s our fault. We lost because we weren’t prepared. Both are champions anyway. It’s amazing that a tiny company like  Beta has 2 top champions. It’s fun to watch. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes , I'm joking a bit ...

 

Is it Garcia back with a satellite team ? Did he left the Factory ktm team ? He was riding with the Hard enduro team but he wasn't looking so comfortable , he is still made for speed I guess...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holcombe led the points the whole 8 dayrace season IIRC? He won 4 days, Freeman won 2 and Garcia won 2. No apologies needed from Steve, Brad was on the gas because he had to make up points and Steve didn't. That's how it goes sometimes. I'm glad for such great racing and the fact that they even pulled off the last ABC promoted EnduroGP in this CV10 World, unlike WESS which is why Garcia was there.

 Great to have KTM back and Garcia was super fast just like when he left the series. He also benefited from winning the 2 mud days where it turned more like Hard Enduro his specialty now. WESS Champ Letti also showed up but was a non factor, not sure what happened? I expect even harder competition next year with the FIM bringing the promotion in house and KTM/Husky likely returning to the series.

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...