RoostnRev

Is it worth buying? Or looking at a headache

2004 crf250r on Facebook marketplace only wants $1500 description says “Has low hours needs new spark plug to run other than that no problems” I messaged the seller and asked if I could bring a new spark plug and tools to see if it will run any good, he said that was fine, do you guys think it’s worth it to look at it?

B05C65B3-020F-49E9-81BC-36445020A1C0.png

AADCBF73-C2C1-4266-81DB-A4DE9073FBEB.png

8C93A962-5412-4710-987A-5DA12EBEC023.png

29A8D4D9-E04B-48C1-B3D3-FF7D3F05B1F3.png

Edited by RoostnRev

It's always worth at least a look! OEM plastics/graphics may be a good sign but the other randoms are a little off putting. 

Low hours on an 04 could mean 10 hours per year with very minimal maintenance; for the past 16 years. I'd be sure to ask about the maintenance schedule, valve checks, etc. A look at the air filter would be valuable. One owner? 

Hard to tell by the photos but it looks pretty clean.

And is that a Kubota zero turn? He's got good taste at least. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

If somebody writes, "other than that no problems," it probably has problems. If somebody is too lazy to replace a spark plug, they are probably too lazy to change the oil, change the piston, and so on.

Bring a sparkplug and test ride it if you really want to buy the bike. If it's clapped, walk away

Edited by lil_squid
  • Like 13
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

If somebody writes, "other than that no problems," it probably has problems. If somebody is too lazy to replace a spark plug, they are probably too lazy to change the oil, change the piston, and so on.

Bring a sparkplug and test ride it if you really want to buy the bike. If it's clapped, walk away

That’s kind of what I was thinking as well just wanted to see some other peoples opinions thanks guys 

• Like 1

Run away. What legit seller would not put in a $10 spark plug to have a perfectly run bike that will sell for hundreds of dollars more.
There is way more wrong than just the sparkplug.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, RoostnRev said:

2004 crf250r on Facebook marketplace only wants $1500 description says “Has low hours needs new spark plug to run other than that no problems”

So why doesn't he just spend a couple bucks for a new spark plug? From what I've read, Facebook Marketplace is supposed to be so much more trustworthy than Craigslist. No one told that to this sleazebag advertising there.

7 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

Run away. What legit seller would not put in a $10 spark plug to have a perfectly run bike that will sell for hundreds of dollars more.
There is way more wrong than just the sparkplug.

Ones that don't give a crap.

I've sold stuff like that. Sold a 330 BMW last month for 300 bucks, super clean car. Needed a battery.  I didn't have the time or want to deal with it.  It was my "get it out of my garage" price. Took 1 hour from ad, to a guy driving it away, and thats how I like to sell stuff. Quick n cheap. Like my girls.

I think that bike might be a win. Obviously ridden by a choad. Choads aren't hard on bikes except for the maintenance.  They never do any. 

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, RoostnRev said:

That’s kind of what I was thinking as well just wanted to see some other peoples opinions thanks guys 

10 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

So why doesn't he just spend a couple bucks for a new spark plug? From what I've read, Facebook Marketplace is supposed to be so much more trustworthy than Craigslist. No one told that to this sleazebag advertising there.

Check the dude's Facebook profile. Look at some of his videos/photos of him riding the thing to see whether it was treated good or abused.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

Check the dude's Facebook profile. Look at some of his videos/photos of him riding the thing to see whether it was treated good or abused.

A 17 y.o. racing 4 stroke that's advertised as just needing a spark plug? Taking a look at the brake lever, grips and chain tells me it's either a money pit or a bike waiting to be parted out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

A 17 y.o. racing 4 stroke that's advertised as just needing a spark plug? Taking a look at the brake lever, grips and chain tells me it's either a money pit or a bike waiting to be parted out.

Yeah, its probably clapped. These bikes aren't hard to come by, you should probably look for another one in better condition

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

Yeah, its probably clapped. These bikes aren't hard to come by, you should probably look for another one in better condition

From what we know?... It needs a spark plug, grips, and a lever or two... that means its in bad condition? Lots of assumptions floating around here. Id firmly say its at least worth looking at. Maybe it is whipped but maybe not either.. Maybe some kid putts around on it and his dad changes the oil once a month... who knows. 

My youngest boys 19' CRF50 needs grips and has a bent lever. Guess I should just chuck it in the ditch and go buy a new one.. 

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, 76xtdrvr said:

Lol, look at the bike. Nobody is /was racing that thing. Its a field burner. Those are probably the original tires. 

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 1

28 minutes ago, Wayne Main said:

My youngest boys 19' CRF50 needs grips and has a bent lever. Guess I should just chuck it in the ditch and go buy a new one.. 

No comparison, but that's your opinion. My advice to the O.P. is to avoid the potential of a "Bought a bike a week ago and now it won't run" type of thread here. He said the seller would put a plug in it, and he'd go look at it. I hope things work out for him either way. I'm out. 

• Like 2

If you are looking to buy a bike that just needs a spark plug, move on. If you are looking to buy a bike that you can hear running and maybe test ride to get yourself a winter project go look at it and make an offer based on what you find.

• Like 1

I want the OP to go look at it and show up with a spark plug and try to get it to run.  My prediction.  99.9999995% chance after kicking 150 + times, he never gets it started.  Fuel has probably been sitting in carb for last 4 years, valves are probably tight, etc. and the odds of it being spark plug only related are incredibly slim.  Could be bad coil, could be gummed up carb, could be tight/worn valves.  But literally a spark plug the only problem and the owner knows this but hasnt tried that yet.  Almost zero chance he is right.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, RoostnRev said:

Has low hours needs new spark plug to run other than that no problems”

SO, the guy won't spend $6 to sell a running bike?

• Like 1

That's a $500 bike IF it actually starts for me. SO much wear there, if that much is apparent on the exterior imagine what the insides look like. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Beta300REcat said:

SO, the guy won't spend $6 to sell a running bike?

Thats the issue. A good bike owner would replace all the bearings and fluids or at least replace the wear parts on a bike before selling it, yet he hasn't even replaced a small thing like the spark plug.

• Like 3