PopWill

Beta2Stroke Question for the Beta 200 owners.

My son is progressing a lot quicker than I ever imagined. He’s riding enduro/hare scramble type  stuff, and wanting to move into racing pretty soon. Right now he’s on an 04 YZ 125, with a big bore kit, FWW, all the goodies to set him up better for the woods. It’s a nice bike that’s set up for him, and is about as strong as you’ll find in any 125/150. And he runs the guts out of it. I figured it would be another year before he was at the point he is now. He wants more power, and, I think he’s at the point he could handle a little more.
We ran into an old friend of mine by accident a couple weeks ago, and we both had the chance to try a YZ250X, which we both loved, but it was evident he had no business with that bike. He’s 15, more balls than brains, and was smiling way too much after 5 minutes of flogging that 250. 
I’ll get to the point now. He wants more than his 125 is gonna give, but I’m not gonna be that dad that got his kid killed on something he’s not ready for. Plus, he has his eye on the Beta 200. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as it’ll do what he needs. It’ll be 4 plus hours of driving one way for us to even look at one. Will it do what he needs? (Wants) Do that have that lightweight handling of a decent 125, with more grunt and low end of a decent off-road motor? Will it pick the front end up over logs easily, or is it work like a 125? And what type of top speed will it have? His YZ is a 5 speed, and he’s limited to around 50 MPH. It’s not often, but at times he needs something faster on top, along with that torque on the bottom. The KDX 200 has also crossed my mind, but he rarely asks for anything, so I’m considering the splurge on a new Beta. Will it be what he needs?

• Helpful 1

I would say 200 reminds me more of a 250 down low and middle than 125 but on top its closer to 125 than a 250. I have had no issues in lack of power/torque with the 200 getting over logs. 200 beta is an awesome machine, maybe you could test drive it somewhere and see how your son feels about it?

• Like 1

What is increasingly.y annoying me about my 200 is the lack of aftermarket parts and spares. Pistons and so on are still not being sold by Vertex and Pro-X , for example, and OEM prices are ridiculous. If you like aftermarket goodies or do a lot of riding, go for a 250 and "grow into it".

Edited by Hubert Carpet
  • Like 5

How big is he? How fast is he growing? This will have an impact on what you consider, we have young friends with a 14 yo boy that has been on a 300XT this past summer. He's tall and very athletic (already high school varsity soccer), not racing but trail riding (racing?) with the very fast group we camp and ride with. Anyway, he tried everybody's bikes out toward the last of the summer and decided he liked the YZ's the most and was able to find a 09 in good shape so his Mom got her 300 back. He'll do fine on it and I wouldn't consider it any harder to control than a 144 or whatever that is being wrung out. 

15 year old Son was last on the same bike 04 YZ125. Didn't work great for slow woods. Bike had some mechanical issues and it enjoyed fouling plugs no matter what. Sold it!

Found a older trail oriented 450 (07 Husaberg FE450) that was lowered two inches already. It's only 41 HP tops so a far far cry from a mx style 450 that puts out 60 HP. Purchased in August this year.

He is on my back tire constantly now. I'm not a fast rider but I believe he's ready to pass me sometimes now whereas before I'd clean a section and then get far enough ahead and he was way back there so I'd turn around to check on him and he either lost traction, confidence, or fouled a plug again (not Yamaha's fault - this bike was clapped!).

He told me flat out before I bought it that it would be too heavy and that the bike would simply end up sold or in my possession. He's 5-7 and 145 and after the first ride he immediately said it was a keeper. :ride:

Edited by shrubitup
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My boy is 15, 6’ tall and a little over 150.  Plays football, constantly lifts weights and works out. He’s about to the point now that all Ole Dad has on him is the bluff! 

Thanks for all the replies guys. Hopefully we can find a 200 for him to test out. If not a 250 isn’t out of the question, I’ll just hafta stay on that ass about being sensible. 

@shrubitup, are parts getting harder to find for the Husaberg stuff?

2 minutes ago, PopWill said:

Yes indeed! However, we aren't racing anything so I don't anticipate much need to refresh things often. My point is a lowered older four stroke can get it done well too. Older KTM RFS, WRF, CRFX, etc. The bike was made by KTM in Austria so I don't anticipate massive issues. I have a 15 Beta 300 that I've had for 3 years and no issues plus an older 02 KTM 520 that I just nabbed too. Husaberg definitely a boutique bike but things like wheels, sprockets, and suspension are mostly interchangeable with KTM. It's no Japanese OEM regarding parts availability by any means - lots of preventive maintenance (planning ahead) instead of reacting to broken parts. Motor has 180 hours on it now, figured I'd go another 200 and then take it down for full rebuild just because.

• Like 1

the motor will be an awesome upgrade, chassis will be cramped at 6', suspension will need tuning ... but it's an awesome woods bike. i rarely miss my 250 with the grunt that little 200 puts to the ground (14/49 gearing)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PopWill said:

My boy is 15, 6’ tall and a little over 150.  Plays football, constantly lifts weights and works out. He’s about to the point now that all Ole Dad has on him is the bluff! 

Thanks for all the replies guys. Hopefully we can find a 200 for him to test out. If not a 250 isn’t out of the question, I’ll just hafta stay on that ass about being sensible. 

A 200 is great but really going from a 125 to a 250 is normal and natural. That is the classic transition of bikes  of kids going up through the ranks riding and racing. I was exactly the same with my Dad racing 125’s and being 15 years old and 6 feet and around 155 and then getting a 250 KTM and racing that. Your son is tough and fit and plays football. Pad him up and a 200 or 250 or bigger will be fine. Watch him bloom. A 200 might even be anemic for him. Young kids like to be on the gas . On a 125 you had to have the bike pinned to have momentum so when going to the 250 and riding similarly it’s a small adjustment to go a gear higher and not as heavy on the throttle. Know your kid will be fine on a 250 too. 300... He’ll be fine.

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

I came from an FX to the Beta 200. I find the power is pretty comparable, just different. I think if he is racing he will need better suspension. Probably the RE with the KYB.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 1:57 AM, PopWill said:

My son is progressing a lot quicker than I ever imagined. He’s riding enduro/hare scramble type  stuff, and wanting to move into racing pretty soon. Right now he’s on an 04 YZ 125, with a big bore kit, FWW, all the goodies to set him up better for the woods. It’s a nice bike that’s set up for him, and is about as strong as you’ll find in any 125/150. And he runs the guts out of it. I figured it would be another year before he was at the point he is now. He wants more power, and, I think he’s at the point he could handle a little more.
We ran into an old friend of mine by accident a couple weeks ago, and we both had the chance to try a YZ250X, which we both loved, but it was evident he had no business with that bike. He’s 15, more balls than brains, and was smiling way too much after 5 minutes of flogging that 250. 
I’ll get to the point now. He wants more than his 125 is gonna give, but I’m not gonna be that dad that got his kid killed on something he’s not ready for. Plus, he has his eye on the Beta 200. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as it’ll do what he needs. It’ll be 4 plus hours of driving one way for us to even look at one. Will it do what he needs? (Wants) Do that have that lightweight handling of a decent 125, with more grunt and low end of a decent off-road motor? Will it pick the front end up over logs easily, or is it work like a 125? And what type of top speed will it have? His YZ is a 5 speed, and he’s limited to around 50 MPH. It’s not often, but at times he needs something faster on top, along with that torque on the bottom. The KDX 200 has also crossed my mind, but he rarely asks for anything, so I’m considering the splurge on a new Beta. Will it be what he needs?

I don't know...if he was 'flogging' a 250 2T after 5 minutes...I'd think he's ready for it.

You gotta ask him...you can't guess. We all ride small bores for a certain 'feeling'...and 250 2Ts have a different kind of fun feeling...as do big bores.

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, dieseleveryday said:

If he's really maxing out a 144 I would think a 200 would not really be a step up for where he's progressing to if you're really looking for a stepping stone kind of bike I'd give a 350 4 stroke a serious think.

That may be true, a 200 might not be much of a jump, but I was hoping it would have some more torque on the bottom he doesn’t have on the YZ. He had a nice KTM 250 xcf-w, and he hated it. I wish he didn’t, that was an excellent bike, and I’m sure the 350 would be better.

9 hours ago, SlowDinoDog said:

I don't know...if he was 'flogging' a 250 2T after 5 minutes...I'd think he's ready for it.

You gotta ask him...you can't guess. We all ride small bores for a certain 'feeling'...and 250 2Ts have a different kind of fun feeling...as do big bores.

Yeah, that’s probably right too. He’s ready. And I’m not.  That’s what it is I think. 

I did stumble across an 03 KTM 200 exc though. We’ll check it out when the owner is available.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

A 200 is great but really going from a 125 to a 250 is normal and natural. That is the classic transition of bikes  of kids going up through the ranks riding and racing. I was exactly the same with my Dad racing 125’s and being 15 years old and 6 feet and around 155 and then getting a 250 KTM and racing that. Your son is tough and fit and plays football. Pad him up and a 200 or 250 or bigger will be fine. Watch him bloom. A 200 might even be anemic for him. Young kids like to be on the gas . On a 125 you had to have the bike pinned to have momentum so when going to the 250 and riding similarly it’s a small adjustment to go a gear higher and not as heavy on the throttle. Know your kid will be fine on a 250 too. 300... He’ll be fine.

You’re right too. That’s how I came up as well. YZ80, IT175, CR125, CR250, WR250. I guess it’s time to quit holding him back.

• Like 1

Flogging a 250 for 5min with no 'consequences' doesn't mean much...

The 200 is more the adequate for your son and I personally consider it one of the best 2 stokes you can buy today. The motor and chassis are great, the suspension could use some minor work...but overall I wouldn't hesitate to own one. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PopWill said:

You’re right too. That’s how I came up as well. YZ80, IT175, CR125, CR250, WR250. I guess it’s time to quit holding him back.

he's running the guts out of a YZ144 and wants more power?

gotta get a 250...👍

• Like 1

If he's into racing and is a fast young gun you're gonna spend a lot more setting up a 200RR to perform 9/10 as good as the yz250x will out of the box. Im a 200rr owner and very tempted to get a 250x and sell my 200rr until I can save for a 250rr.

• Like 1

It sounds like a 250X is the way to go, and I’m sure that’ll make him smile. That definitely means I need to step up my game. He’ll be waiting on me with a bike that size.

• Haha 1