PopWill

Beta2Stroke Question for the Beta 200 owners.

1 hour ago, PopWill said:

It sounds like a 250X is the way to go, and I’m sure that’ll make him smile. That definitely means I need to step up my game. He’ll be waiting on me with a bike that size.

Well that’s one bike. There’s a pile to choose from. 

• Like 1

For a young strong kid that wants to race harescrambles/enduros,  just get a 250X and be done with it.   Best bang/buck for a no nonsense harescrambles bike and cheap to live with.  My son is 21 now but always a strong athlete and could easily ride my 250s for a day out at 15.  His buddy came up through the ranks to A in his teens on 250Xs and FXs.   If you need a plate, lights, and do more extreme stuff where the estart is handy then the Beta. 

Edited by GP
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

As a owner of a 2021 200rr I say get a 250. That's what I just did.

What flavor?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Singletrack_rider said:

🍊

now that could be seen as a orange or a lemon. which one ? suspens full

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, campdirt said:

now that could be seen as a orange or a lemon. which one ? suspens full

From the citrus growing region of Austria? Naw, citrus grows better in Italy. :thinking:

• Like 2

Well, it appears the orange 200 I spotted is gonna work out. It pulls a lot harder off the bottom, and seems to have just a touch more on top. I’m an old Yamaha fan, but for the price, and what he needs, I think this was a good decision for now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PopWill said:

Well, it appears the orange 200 I spotted is gonna work out. It pulls a lot harder off the bottom, and seems to have just a touch more on top. I’m an old Yamaha fan, but for the price, and what he needs, I think this was a good decision for now. 

KTM 200?

• Like 1

I have a 2020 200rr and I love it. Much more fun to ride than my husky 350 fe. But, I'm on the other side of the curve being an older rider happy to be on a smaller bike. Your son would probably grow into a 250 or 300 2 stroke just fine. I do like the torque of the 200rr. You can lug it if you feel like it 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 12:57 AM, PopWill said:

My son is progressing a lot quicker than I ever imagined. He’s riding enduro/hare scramble type  stuff, and wanting to move into racing pretty soon. Right now he’s on an 04 YZ 125, with a big bore kit, FWW, all the goodies to set him up better for the woods. It’s a nice bike that’s set up for him, and is about as strong as you’ll find in any 125/150. And he runs the guts out of it. I figured it would be another year before he was at the point he is now. He wants more power, and, I think he’s at the point he could handle a little more.
We ran into an old friend of mine by accident a couple weeks ago, and we both had the chance to try a YZ250X, which we both loved, but it was evident he had no business with that bike. He’s 15, more balls than brains, and was smiling way too much after 5 minutes of flogging that 250. 
I’ll get to the point now. He wants more than his 125 is gonna give, but I’m not gonna be that dad that got his kid killed on something he’s not ready for. Plus, he has his eye on the Beta 200. I don’t have a problem with that, as long as it’ll do what he needs. It’ll be 4 plus hours of driving one way for us to even look at one. Will it do what he needs? (Wants) Do that have that lightweight handling of a decent 125, with more grunt and low end of a decent off-road motor? Will it pick the front end up over logs easily, or is it work like a 125? And what type of top speed will it have? His YZ is a 5 speed, and he’s limited to around 50 MPH. It’s not often, but at times he needs something faster on top, along with that torque on the bottom. The KDX 200 has also crossed my mind, but he rarely asks for anything, so I’m considering the splurge on a new Beta. Will it be what he needs?

You're overthinking it, get him a 250 already. Lots of us rode 250 2 strokes as kids, I rode one when I was 13 and 125lbs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

xcw?

XC, I like linkage better than pds. Found a 2019 with 28 hours that was like new. The deal was to good to pass up. Better than pre covid price. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, PopWill said:

Yessir. An 03 EXC. 

Honestly, if hes flat out making the yz144 sing all day you better off getting a 250 2 stroke. 

• Like 2

Just now, HeavyRotationClassic said:

Those are butter smooth too. Aer fork? 

Yep Aer. They feel better than the 17 I had. Went up 2 rates on the shock set the forks at 135psi and done. Rides so smooth ,better than my 150.

I'm going to play with the 200 some more. If I don't push it hard it works good for the most part. With the kyb forks the front feels good now. I dropped back to a 5.6kg shock spring today. The shock felt the best it has so far. I can run it at a fast trail riding pace. If I try to go full speed bad things start to happen. The 250xc is going to be my race bike. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dogs Bollocks said:

Honestly, if hes flat out making the yz144 sing all day you better off getting a 250 2 stroke. 

I’m sure everyone is right, and I’m being too much Dad. I’m gonna let him try this 200 KTM for awhile though. It’s too good to pass up, and if he wants more it’ll sell. Or I may keep it myself. It’s a damn good hare scramble bike for this area, and a lot lighter than my XR 400. That old pig is getting a rebuild, and I’m going back to Zinging!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Singletrack_rider said:

XC, I like linkage better than pds. Found a 2019 with 28 hours that was like new. The deal was to good to pass up. Better than pre covid price. 

was that the one in Snohomish on FB Marketplace? If so, it was way low hours like what you listed.

1 hour ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

You're overthinking it, get him a 250 already. Lots of us rode 250 2 strokes as kids, I rode one when I was 13 and 125lbs.

Friend had a 78 KX250 and a 79 CR250 and then an old beat down Suzuki TS250. Spent many spring/summer/fall seasons flailing around like a rag doll at age 12 and 13 like you said. The year was 1983/1984. Quite fun. Started my 13 year old son on a KX85 two years ago and now he's on a 450 (albeit a slow one). :ride:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, shrubitup said:

was that the one in Snohomish on FB Marketplace? If so, it was way low hours like what you listed.

No it was local from Cliffs cycle. It's funny how the dealer prices can be a lot lower than a private sale nowadays. It pays to have a good relationship with your local dealer.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1