RiverRat93

XR 400 for a trail bike?

8 hours ago, RiverRat93 said:

I would get the XR 250, but I’m not seeing many of those either. Which is one is likely lower maintenance, an XR or the 230?

the only weakness 96/04 xr250 stock intake valves.  The crf 230 ultra reliable  ours are bore and stroked 254 and 270 cc. We ride the crap out of them no  problems.  if your not in to doing heavy mods.  haha  skip the crf230. It will hurt you stock.

I can agree but the 230 with super mods . tight trail even hill climb . Will make xr4: riders tired real quick. no money or time for mods xr4 yessssss all good

I’m an XR fan. Sure the 400 feels heavier. It is heavier. When my boy was 13/14, (he’s only 15 now) he rode mine. If he dropped it, he couldn’t get it back up, but he was about 90 pounds of nothing then. If you like the XR, and it’s in decent shape, buy it. Mine has no telling how many thousands of miles on it, and I never did a thing but minimal maintenance on it. Give it some fresh Rotella T every now and then, and it’ll treat you well.

• Like 1

i had a XR 400, their great but their definetly suited for bigger riders. its a bitch to kickstart as well especally after a fall. id rather ride a drz 400 TBH even if its a S model. their heavier then the XR but dont feel heavier. btw Kawsaki makes a KLX 300 which is around 5k. might be worth it to put 3k down and finance the rest. youll have a new reliable bike that will last a long time.

• Like 2

The new 300 is the deal. I had planned on the new 300 but went with the new 230r as the 300 wasn’t available the week I was buying. No complaints as the 230r was 1100 less expensive and has plenty of power for me, but the 300 may be my next bike we’ll see. So much piece of mind comes with buying new.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Singletrackfoevah said:

The new 300 is the deal. I had planned on the new 300 but went with the new 230r as the 300 wasn’t available the week I was buying. No complaints as the 230r was 1100 less expensive and has plenty of power for me, but the 300 may be my next bike we’ll see. So much piece of mind comes with buying new.

I had forgotten about that 300. How peppy are those?

22 minutes ago, PopWill said:

I had forgotten about that 300. How peppy are those?

Welp seeing as how my 230r is plenty peppy IMO, the 300 must be awesome pep for most non competitive riders. Disclaimer : I mostly ride tight 2nd gear singletrack.

• Like 1