KTM to build Green bikes next?

Just now, Drop-Bear said:

Japan started the same as China, all their stuff was crap to begin with as well. 

In saying that. Screw China.

Yeah I know, it's the human rights thing.  They are not the only ones though.  But to say screw China you have to be all in.  Chinese parts and components are so completely woven into our lives without really knowing it people would have a hard time buying most anything without it. 

• Like 1

Just now, Piney Woods said:

What does/will a GPX owner do for parts when each batch of bikes coming across the pond has different components? No way a dist could support that. Is that just the risk you have to accept for buying a bike from china?

They don't have different parts and everyone raves about how responsive the distributor in Utah is.  There is not much chatter about the bikes here, but there are lots of threads on adventurider.  They are not for everyone, certainly not someone that does not already do basic maintenance on their bike.

• Like 2

I know PitsterPro is an excellent dealer for pitbikes.  The real deal.  They also did like outer posted above: they kept a very tight rein on the chinese and did not tolerate substitutions.  Their racing pitbikes are high quality.

Fwiw, more on that aforementioned woods 2T, per the Dirt Bike mag 2020 buyers guide:  GPX TSE250R: $4699
"This motorcycle’s roots can be traced back to the Yamaha WR200 of the mid-’90s. The rights to the design are now in the hands of the guys at Pitster Pro, who have launched the bike under the GPX name. It’s now a 250cc two-stroke with electric start and oil injection. It even has a counterbalancer."

Hmm...

Edited by txkawboy
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Drop-Bear said:

As if this thread wasn't already depressing enough. Now we're talking about Chinese pit bikes ?

Gawd. Somebody just shoot me, please.

Blame the Japanese, they aren't doing their part to keep up with KTM. So now we get to talk about second tier bikes, well maybe third tier. 

Edited by KTMRider4Life
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Blame the Japanese, they aren't doing their part to keep up with KTM. So now we get to talk about second tier bikes, well maybe third tier. 

It's crazy to think that as recently as 2014, the 250 SXF wasn't particularly light.  KTMs being the lightest happened after that.

It seems like around 2016 ish or somewhere around in there, KTM really doubled down, and the Japanese mfgs stood by and watched it happen.

Edited by redrider144

1 minute ago, redrider144 said:

It's crazy to think that as recently as 2014, the 250 SXF wasn't particularly light.  KTMs being the lightest happened after that.

It seems like around 2016 ish or somewhere around in there, KTM really doubled down, and the Japanese mfgs stood by and watched it happen.

It was just before that they stated they wanted to have the lightest bikes in the industry, and they had features that added weight. It really is pretty incredible. Oh yeah the link added weight too. 

• Helpful 1

The aer really helps ,nothing you can do drops weight like the airfork

Just checked and it's 2kg (2% of bike total weight on a 250f) lighter  to a comparable 48mm cc type fork 

A full ti bolt setup and silencer will probably not be the same in weight saving 

Edited by mog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

There's something magical about 200cc bikes I tell ya. 

if someone made a 180 pound 200cc bike with 10" of travel they'd sell 1,000,000 of them the first year....if they could make them fast enough.....it's not about peak horsepower....I had more fun on a 125 than I ever did on an open class bike in the desert...except in sand washes although my 125 Husky was no slouch there...  in the mid 90's i had a KDX200....That pig was about 40 pounds over weight at least...took all the fun out of it.....my yz125 was a ton better

28 minutes ago, Budlite said:

if someone made a 180 pound 200cc bike with 10" of travel they'd sell 1,000,000 of them the first year....if they could make them fast enough.....it's not about peak horsepower....I had more fun on a 125 than I ever did on an open class bike in the desert...except in sand washes although my 125 Husky was no slouch there...  in the mid 90's i had a KDX200....That pig was about 40 pounds over weight at least...took all the fun out of it.....my yz125 was a ton better

You sound like a candidate for KTM 200. They were more than 180lbs but they aren't pigs. 

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

You sound like a candidate for KTM 200. They were more than 180lbs but they aren't pigs. 

I don't care who builds them...I'm color blind.....I've owned Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, KTMs, Montessas, Puchs....etc,,,,,,I'm color blind when  it comes to bikes. I think the closest production bike to this was a mid 70's yz175.....as I remember the orginal KDX's were very light......powerbands can be modified but losing weight is really tough....and expensive.  If anybody builds what I posted they'll get rich....

1 hour ago, Budlite said:

I don't care who builds them...I'm color blind.....I've owned Yamahas, Hondas, Kawasakis, Suzukis, KTMs, Montessas, Puchs....etc,,,,,,I'm color blind when  it comes to bikes. I think the closest production bike to this was a mid 70's yz175.....as I remember the orginal KDX's were very light......powerbands can be modified but losing weight is really tough....and expensive.  If anybody builds what I posted they'll get rich....

You're asking for a lot. A 150sx is 200lbs with fuel or 192 without fuel. So you're asking for 12-20lbs less than a no frills mx bike. A bike that has no estart, no fi, no mode selection, traction control etc.. as basic as it gets in a chassis with suspension that is as light as you can get in a oem bike.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

You're asking for a lot. A 150sx is 200lbs with fuel or 192 without fuel. So you're asking for 12-20lbs less than a no frills mx bike. A bike that has no estart, no fi, no mode selection, traction control etc.. as basic as it gets in a chassis with suspension that is as light as you can get in a oem bike.

I think my 2020 TE150i with battery, estart, TPI, headlight/tail light, plate, etc...is 230 lbs with fuel rolling out the garage.

• Like 1

But, tho it wd still not be 180lbs curbed, I have always wondered what it would take to cast an "IT200-like" ~175cc air-cooled cylinder for the modern YZ125 would sell, and would shave a little weight off is 192 to boot.  A modern YZ125 with the personality of the IT200/DT175...yum.  Those skinny low bikes were tons of fun to play on in the tight slick woods around here.  I know Eric Gorr said a Polaris 800 cylinder fits on the 2002 CR250, so...??

• Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

But, tho it wd still not be 180lbs curbed, I have always wondered what it would take to cast an "IT200-like" ~175cc air-cooled cylinder for the modern YZ125 would sell, and would shave a little weight off is 192 to boot.  A modern YZ125 with the personality of the IT200/DT175...yum.  Those skinny low bikes were tons of fun to play on in the tight slick woods around here.  I know Eric Gorr said a Polaris 800 cylinder fits on the 2002 CR250, so...??

Yep. Perfect for our E TX--LA stuff.