motocross KTM to build Green bikes next?

6 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Yes this.  It is all about the 300 2T, as I know @Drop-Bear would agree.

If we remove our personal preferences,...its what the market buys that's important for manufacturers to watch...and predict.

Edited by SlowDinoDog

20 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Yes this.  It is all about the 300 2T, as I know @Drop-Bear would agree.

I started a thread a fair while ago in the ADV section. "Yamaha Tenere T-7. Or, KTM 790". Decided the T-7 was the bike for me. A lot of it was the money. The T-7 is around 16.5K aud, OTD, the KTM is around 23K OTD. The R model.

Since really diving into the 790. I'd take the T-7 now, of it was 23K, and the KTM was 10K.

KTM is the new Apple of the motorcycle world. They literally are ruining off road riding :D

Those 790's are mutton, dressed up as lamb. An absolute, POS. 23K, and next yr, they'll be built in China. Com'on Man!

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Haha 1

The 790 has more than one on board computer. Each computer has a matching serial number/code. Pretty sure it was 3, or 4 computers.

Get this. And, It's a fact. You obviously can't repair a computer on the side of the track. So, carry spares, I hear you say. Yeah, Right, obvious solution, right?

Yeah, Nah. You can replace the computer, with a new one. But, It will not have a matching code. So, the bike won't start, or run, obviously. To get it to run, you have to take the bike to a KTM dealership, and have them unlock it all.
Great if you're out in the middle of no where 🙄

Reminding you of Apple? Yeah, I bet lol.

I won't post the video, unless anyone wants to see it. But, I follow a bloke that rides an African Twin, and is a one eyed Honda supporter. One of his mates bought a new 790, right before their annual outback, desert trip.
The electronics failed. In the middle of no where. He had to buy the closest, and cheapest ute (pick up truck), and drive the bike home, half way across the country. Would have costed him a fortune in fuel alone.

And, If that's not enough to bother you. Watch this. You will be stunned 😬.

I'll repeat, next yr, they'll be built in China.

Wonder if the price would be less, or more, with Brembo's lol

Lucky I bought my Husky 701 last yr. I wouldn't buy anything KTM related now. They're now dead to me.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MANIAC998 said:

Would Monster pull the plug like Geico did, once they feel that they have achieved market saturation??:thinking:

I think Monster is here to stay. Now Tomac on  KTEMASAKI is interesting. K....TEMASAKI. 

• Like 1

On 11/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, sheath said:

So, evidently big Green is in the red, and KHI is dumping them to the wolves.  How long do you think it will be before KTM starts building green bikes?  Hey at least they'll have a good clutch.

"Kawasaki President Hashimoto Yasuhiko said at a news conference that he hopes the motorcycle business will continue to build the strong Kawasaki brand and revitalize the market through collaboration with other companies."

Kawasaki will spin off it's motorcycle division

Think that Bell Helmet photo op, was an op for ET3 to ask CW how he likes riding an Indian? 

Apologies if this has already been covered.

Say it ain't so 😔

Kawasaki and Suzuki are my 2 favourite Japanese brands. Winning :banghead:

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

From my perspective...KTM brought the Euros back from failure after the Japanese dominated and cut back in the mid-2000s. The Japanese developed the high revving 4Ts of the late 90's and 2000s and the venerable YZ250 MX bikes...

...and the 4T, estart CRFX and WRF off-road bikes.

Isn't KTM's 'return to dominance' ...(cough cough)...simply because the Japanese never developed an estart 2T performance trail bike with a 300cc overbore?

How big of difference do the new 4T MX bikes really have?

KTM is 50% owned by Bajaj of India it, is not the KTM of the past. KTM struggled like many of the other European companies and was limping along until the Indians stepped in with their cash. It was a smart move all the way around and probably more things are manufactured in the Indian divisions than is advertised. I think they make stuff for Husky in India too. 

There was some talk of a "buy back" in 2019 but I haven't seen anything about that recently. I think that would hurt access to the Indian market for KTM these Duke 125s are pretty popular with young people in India.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

KTM is 50% owned by Bajaj of India it, is not the KTM of the past. KTM struggled like many of the other European companies and was limping along until the Indians stepped in with their cash. It was a smart move all the way around and probably more things are manufactured in the Indian divisions than is advertised. I think they make stuff for Husky in India too. 

There was some talk of a "buy back" in 2019 but I haven't seen anything about that recently. I think that would hurt access to the Indian market for KTM these Duke 125s are pretty popular with young people in India.

image.png.d715ce05d40826138ca8786ff2ad3f9a.png

The 390 ADV bikes are getting huge over there as well, and built there. Better there than China though. IMO.

• Like 3

KTM has the deal with that huge indian bike-maker; their need for a 3rd world market is handled.

Re dirtbikes, ktm took over the woods b/c the japs didnt care about it.

Re mx, ktm is tiny, so they can make changes quickly.  And they hired decoster and made his changes.  I love CRF 450's and YZ 2T, but that 2016 450sxf raised the bar.  Actually it broke the bar.  Had its forks not been impossible, who knows how much more damage the japs wdve suffered.

Honda should just scrap its current CRF and look at this growing "modded CRF230" market...put a punched up 230 engine into a 2005 CRF250 chassis and sell the living crap out of them to 50% of the vet classes.  Then bring the CR250 back too, for me..no matter on the year, I like'm ALL lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

KTM has the deal with that huge indian bike-maker; their need for a 3rd world market is handled.

Re dirtbikes, ktm took over the woods b/c the japs didnt care about it.

Re mx, ktm is tiny, so they can make changes quickly.  And they hired decoster and made his changes.  I love CRF 450's and YZ 2T, but that 2016 450sxf raised the bar.  Actually it broke the bar.  Had its forks not been impossible, who knows how much more damage the japs wdve suffered.

Honda should just scrap its current CRF and look at this growing "modded CRF230" market...put a punched up 230 engine into a 2005 CRF250 chassis and sell the living crap out of them to 50% of the vet classes.  Then bring the CR250 back too, for me..no matter on the year, I like'm ALL lol.

Hasn't Honda already punched up the 230 with a new 250 version? I thought the crf250f was FI and air-cooled.

• Like 1

To be competitive, they are gonna hv to do better than 23 measly hp...vets r big boys, man! lolol

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

To be competitive, they are gonna hv to do better than 23 measly hp...vets r big boys, man! lolol

Isn't that what the crf250rx is for? It's rare that I see one but when I do it's always a 50+ year old on it.

You want an engine that will last 10+ years with just oil changes get the 250f, you want 40hp in a 250 woods bike get the 250rx. You can't have both... not even KTM has both. Horsepower robs reliability... period.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

45 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Hasn't Honda already punched up the 230 with a new 250 version? I thought the crf250f was FI and air-cooled.

It's also heavy.  265 pounds with 1.6 gals fuel.  So 255 with an empty tank.

My 87 XR200 was around 220 lbs with an empty tank.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1

Too much tech/cost...i mean something like that SSR SR300 but with a carb'd xr400 engine...tho time will tell what this 'thumpstar' turns into...!  Supposedly Gas Gas WAS helping with it...(sorry pic is so big, i cd not get it to shrink?)  I have a 2008 pitster/clone racing pitbike with actual cartridge fast-ace 01 forks on it and they are simply amazing, and the rear is darned good, so...

image.png.b1378daf9347f19b477e61ac81c33b56.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

It's also heavy.  265 pounds with 1.6 gals fuel.  So 255 with an empty tank.

Ya that is kinda high about the same as my old xr400. But for $5k you can't have everything I guess.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Ya that is kinda high about the same as my old xr400. But for $5k you can't have everything I guess.

Yeah I'm just disappointed that the XR200 and KDX200 aren't around anymore.  They'd still sell, and both were good.  The KDX was especially good.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

Too much tech/cost...i mean something like that SSR SR300 but with a carb'd xr400 engine...tho time will tell what this 'thumpstar' turns into...!  Supposedly Gas Gas WAS helping with it...(sorry pic is so big, i cd not get it to shrink?)  I have a 2008 pitster/clone racing pitbike with actual cartridge fast-ace 01 forks on it and they are simply amazing, and the rear is darned good, so...

It has the same engine as the new Jotgas 300 enduro that Clay's Importing.

The owner of Thumpstar is from my area. He was a kid when he started the company, 16 tops. He started with Pit Bikes, as far as they went, his were among the best. In Oz that is.

Edited by Drop-Bear

11 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

The bike above has been out for years in the form of a GPX TSE250R.  It has sported Husky bodywork, but this year changed to a Ktm body.  The engine design is from Yamaha and the suspension is now SZC.  Not sure who makes the brakes, but I'm told they're excellent and the suspension very good.  China can build a lot of crap, but it takes a good, quality driven U.S. importer to ensure the bikes are spec'd the way THEY want them.  

image.thumb.png.08ffea8a21b66f46e8e4d106362abe1e.png

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OUTERLIMITS said:

The bike above has been out for years in the form of a GPX TSE250R.  It has sported Husky bodywork, but this year changed to a Ktm body.  The engine design is from Yamaha and the suspension is now SZC.  Not sure who makes the brakes, but I'm told they're excellent and the suspension very good.  China can build a lot of crap, but it takes a good, quality driven U.S. importer to ensure the bikes are spec'd the way THEY want them.  

image.thumb.png.08ffea8a21b66f46e8e4d106362abe1e.png

Japan started the same as China, all their stuff was crap to begin with as well. 

In saying that. Screw China.

• Like 3