MotorBoatin

Moto Mt Rushmore

Most of them think history started when they were born but the Troll Train got it right and surprisingly Barcia knows his history 

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Helpful 2

34 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

Most of them think history started when they were born but the Troll Train got it right and surprisingly Barcia knows his history 

I'd go with Hannah over Stanton though I think.  It's tough to pick only 4.

IDK about JS7 either.  He chose a reality show over defending his one 450 MX title.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

I'd go with Hannah over Stanton though I think.  It's tough to pick only 4.

IDK about JS7 either.  He chose a reality show over defending his one 450 MX title.

I've got a whole list of guys I would put above James. Great rider, probably the best ever, but he wasn't a great racer 

• Helpful 1

“His one Mx title”

Mx title being 24-0

Still not sure if I’d put him up there though. But at the same time the fun part about these things is the subjective interpretation. James made a huge impact on the sport and outside of it and that can warrant a spot. 

Similarly people outside of F1 think of Senna as one of the greatest. Despite not having the most wins and championships. 

JS7 is up there, lets not play games on that, and belongs in the top 4, if you could get ALL riders in their prime on any race track in any era, he would PODIUM or win.

THAT puts him on MOTO MOUNTAIN!!!  RC4 would be next,  but positions 3-4 are VERY difficult to place, depending on your bias etc. Based on wins in SX, would be McGrath, based on Longevity or Racing, and Championships, AC222. 

Other riders of consideration - ONE RACE any track any era,,, JMB, JH84, ET3, Rick Johnson.  MX Des Nations, Jeff Stanton.

Im leaving out some Great Riders, like Stefan Everts, RV, Jeff Ward, RD5, and TG 🙂

Edited by KABLEXXL TRUMP 2020
  • Like 1

James reminds me of a number of stick and ball sport teams that could dominate the regular season but then get smoked when it was time to name a champion.

Its hard to win any race at the pro level, but its even harder to win a championship - something that James had a hard time doing.  So there's no way that he'd get a spot.

Personally I think that to get a spot they needed to not only win a championship but they also needed to move the sport forward, that said, here's my 4 rider pick:

Also note, its a US monument so I'm only picking US riders:

Marty Smith

Bob Hannah

Jeremy McGrath

Ricky Carmichael

Sure, Barnett, Stanton, Villipoto and others are multi champions but they were just "better" than everyone else, maybe they didn't have to do more but the 4 riders above really did change the way other racers had to think about it if they wanted to win.

Edited by zig06
  • Helpful 4

22 minutes ago, 150dirtcomber said:

His one Mx title”

Mx title being 24-0

Still not sure if I’d put him up there though. But at the same time the fun part about these things is the subjective interpretation. James made a huge impact on the sport and outside of it and that can warrant a spot. 

Yes, and he chose to make a boring TV show instead of defending his lone 450 MX title.  That automatically excludes him from the list.

Not one other person (from the pool of potential names) ever noped out of defending a championship in the premier class (not counting retirement).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KABLEXXL TRUMP 2020 said:

JS7 is up there, lets not play games on that, and belongs in the top 4, if you could get ALL riders in their prime on any race track in any era, he would PODIUM or win.

But put him in any series with those greats and he isn't top 5 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 3

17 minutes ago, zig06 said:

James reminds me of a number of stick and ball sport teams that could dominate the regular season but then get smoked when it was time to name a champion.

Its hard to win any race at the pro level, but its even harder to win a championship - something that James had a hard time doing.  So there's no way that he'd get a spot.

Personally I think that to get a spot they needed to not only win a championship but they also needed to move the sport forward, that said, here's my 4 rider pick:

Marty Smith

Bob Hannah

Jeremy McGrath

Ricky Carmichael

Sure, Barnett, Stanton, Villipoto and others are multi champions but they were just "better" than everyone else, maybe they didn't have to do more but the 4 riders above really did change the way other racers had to think about it if they wanted to win.

This^^^^

To make it on MX Rushmore, you have to do more than defeat your opponents. You have to change way that everyone trains/competes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

Yes, and he chose to make a boring TV show instead of defending his lone 450 MX title.  That automatically excludes him from the list.

Not one other person (from the pool of potential names) ever noped out of defending a championship in the premier class (not counting retirement).

Once he got a taste of the couch it was all over..... For him. 

• Helpful 1

I know it is frowned upon but I can only comment on riders that I have watched on a regular basis. It wouldn't be fair for me to add guys that I've only seen bits and pieces from highlights etc. So that is going to be AMA riders only and people since I've been alive and watching. Anyways, RC, MC, JS7 and RV. I'd love to put someone from the late 80s in there but it's tough for me to do that. Stanton and RJ are right there. And also tough leaving out Dungey and potentially Reed. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zig06 said:

Marty Smith

Bob Hannah

Jeremy McGrath

Ricky Carmichael

He has like 10 championships

I don't Bubba's choices either but this forum his KING of cherry picking.

Just now, 150dirtcomber said:

He has like 10 championships

I don't Bubba's choices either but this forum his KING of cherry picking.

10?  I count 2 125 MX + 2 450 SX + 1 450 MX (regional SX isn't shit, nobody counts those).

So that's 5.  Are you rounding up?

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Once he got a taste of the couch it was all over..... For him.

Yes.  The prolific badass MX racer known as Bubba transformed into JS7 that summer.  Oh what might have been.....

Bubba was such a gnarly dude on a bike.  JS7 had flashes of brilliance, but never returned to form.

I still remember a MX race on a 125, when Bubba stood the bike straight up and wheelied an entire whoops section.  We saw Tomac do something similar at Daytona once, but Bubba's was more impressive.

Edited by redrider144

34 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

10?  I count 2 125 MX + 2 450 SX + 1 450 MX (regional SX isn't shit, nobody counts those).

So that's 5.  Are you rounding up?

Wikipedia must be trippin, ah I see they're including the FIM "World" Supercross titles.

Anyways 5, 5 is still plenty. He had trouble getting championships post reality show IMO. I think it's negative bias to disregard the first half of his career because he fell from grace in the second half.

Overall, people who actually participate in the sport respect him more than people on the internet.

14 minutes ago, 150dirtcomber said:

Anyways 5, 5 is still plenty. He had trouble getting championships post reality show IMO. I think it's negative bias to disregard the first half of his career because he fell from grace in the second half.

Overall, people who actually participate in the sport respect him more than people on the internet.

We're talking MX Mt Rushmore.  There are a ton of potential names and only 4 spots.  I would auto exclude anyone that noped out of defending (aside from retirement) a premier class championship.  Has nothing to do specifically with JS7.

Edited by redrider144

DeCoster, Hannah, Ricky (Carmichael, not Johnson), Everts.  Done.

DeCoster is the Man.  Across the board for everything he has done in the sport worldwide both on the bike and off, he is the first person to go on and it shouldn't be a question.  

Hannah was the first truly dominant Amercian for any race he entered.  Honestly, this is the least solid of my group of 4, but for his legacy (at least US side) I have him on the list.  Maybe Geboers or Jobe here?  I am open to have my opinion changed.

Ricky Carmichael simply made EVERYONE go to a new level of training and fitness and won everything.  Even when he "semi-retired" he won all the races he entered.

Stefan Everts just simply elevated everyone in Europe the same way that Ricky did over here.  Without Everts, you don't have Antonio doing what he is doing, etc...  And Antonio is still 1 short of matching Stefan...

For as good as Jeremy was at SX, he didn't change the game.  He was just that much better than everyone else.  No one has really copied his style and used it to throttle their competitors (pun intended) the same way he did.  Was he dominant?  Absolutely.  But not Mount Rushmore.

James is arguably the most talented individual to ever race a dirt bike, but he didn't alter the game like Ricky did.  For as talented as he was, he should have won a lot more.  That is a no on the list.  I can at least say that James ALWAYS tried to ride that talent to a win, and if he didn't win he was on the ground.  Hard.  Unlike the second most talented guy to ever ride a dirt bike, Lechien, who when he didn't feel it just didn't really even try (but when he wanted to, no one could touch him).

Reed, Dungey, etc... I just don't see how any of them elevated the sport, or what was required of someone to compete/win at it the way that any of the others on this list did before they did (over overshadowed them while they were racing).  Don't get me wrong, I totally admire and respect everything that they did.  Just not top 4 overall.

• Helpful 2

14 minutes ago, eastreich said:

DeCoster, Hannah, Ricky (Carmichael, not Johnson), Everts.  Done.

DeCoster is the Man.  Across the board for everything he has done in the sport worldwide both on the bike and off, he is the first person to go on and it shouldn't be a question.  

Hannah was the first truly dominant Amercian for any race he entered.  Honestly, this is the least solid of my group of 4, but for his legacy (at least US side) I have him on the list.  Maybe Geboers or Jobe here?  I am open to have my opinion changed.

Ricky Carmichael simply made EVERYONE go to a new level of training and fitness and won everything.  Even when he "semi-retired" he won all the races he entered.

Stefan Everts just simply elevated everyone in Europe the same way that Ricky did over here.  Without Everts, you don't have Antonio doing what he is doing, etc...  And Antonio is still 1 short of matching Stefan...

For as good as Jeremy was at SX, he didn't change the game.  He was just that much better than everyone else.  No one has really copied his style and used it to throttle their competitors (pun intended) the same way he did.  Was he dominant?  Absolutely.  But not Mount Rushmore.

James is arguably the most talented individual to ever race a dirt bike, but he didn't alter the game like Ricky did.  For as talented as he was, he should have won a lot more.  That is a no on the list.  I can at least say that James ALWAYS tried to ride that talent to a win, and if he didn't win he was on the ground.  Hard.  Unlike the second most talented guy to ever ride a dirt bike, Lechien, who when he didn't feel it just didn't really even try (but when he wanted to, no one could touch him).

Reed, Dungey, etc... I just don't see how any of them elevated the sport, or what was required of someone to compete/win at it the way that any of the others on this list did before they did (over overshadowed them while they were racing).  Don't get me wrong, I totally admire and respect everything that they did.  Just not top 4 overall.

It's hard to argue against that list.  But when you look what Gary Jones accomplished not just with winning 4 championships, but changing the bikes and influencing the factories, I can't think of anyone that influenced the entire sport globally except perhaps DeCoster.  So who comes off your list?  Everts and Carmichael were far too dominant to eliminate.  Hannah is possibly my favorite rider of all time.  DeCoster inspired a bazzilion Americans to ride, then he managed them and took them on the world stage.  Unfortunately I think Hannah comes off, even though he's my favorite, just because Jones did so much beyond just win championships.  Tough call, I'm torn.  Hard to imagine leaving McGrath off the list too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, daled said:

1.   J-Law

2.  Hanny

3.  Sorby

4.  Healey

Now thats a mountain !

As soon as someone finds a straw or rolls up that hundo, there will be a lot less of the mountain!

• Helpful 2
  • Haha 2