Moto Mt Rushmore

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

Meyer was basically saying, it's not a "most talented" list.  If that were the case, Ron Lechien should be up there, and nobody is talking about him.

People are STILL talking about Bob Hannah.  Part of the reason is, he's a great person to interview.  He also still cares about fans all this time later.  I was in Idaho a few years ago and looked him up.   Bob was willing to meet up with me if I could make it.  I was unfortunately a bit too far away.  

JS7 more or less disappeared and I don't expect that to change much.  I don't fault him for that at all, he's certainly earned it.  But he's no Hannah, DeCoster, etc and there's too many other people that are more deserving of being on a mountain.

He’s won more races than Hannah and one less title. I get your argument, but again, his accolades go far beyond talent and riding. 
 You can make an argument for Hannah over James, and I might agree, but James definitely deserves to be in this debate 

You guys short sell him because you don’t like him, not because he wasn’t great, because he for sure was one of the greats. 

• Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, GBow521 said:

You guys short sell him because you don’t like him, not because he wasn’t great, because he for sure was one of the greats. 

James wasn't the problem, it was his swingers.  Sorta like when radio stations over play a song you used to like, and now you can't stand listening to it.  But I still don't dislike him.  He seems like a nice guy.

I used to get super frustrated with how boring he made several championships though, by crashing out of the points.  I put him in about the same category as Herlings.  Both super gnarly dudes, both had the rare ability to go from dead last to first on a MX track.  But crashed themselves out of too many championships to be put on a mountain where there's only 4 spots.    

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 150dirtcomber said:

I think that’s fair. But the “It’s MX list not Riding” is speaking like something subjective is objective fact. I think a better response would be like “I value championships the most so my racers are x x x and x instead of James.”

But there’s a lot of ‘James doesn’t meet my personal requirements so nobody else should put him up there either’ talk going on. Kind of one of those circular topics that plays out like: you can’t tell me who to pick but I can tell you who to pick lol. 

It's the Motocross Mt Rushmore and in my book that means all aspects of motocross and the highest honor in MX/SX is championships.  James changed the way guys ride....Bubba Scrub....but McGrath changed the way they raced

Like I said he's the most talented SX rider I've ever seen but I don't believe that warrants placing him up there above Ricky Johnson, Bob Hannah, Ryan Villopoto, Jeff Ward, Jeff Stanton and dare I say Ryan Dungey :jawdrop:

And if MX/SX championships aren't how you evaluate greatness then a whole new slew of riders deserve a spot above James. Guys like Malcolm Smith and Steve McQueen have done far more for the sport than any other riders in history and I would place Rodney Smith above James any day  

Edited by MotorBoatin
  • Helpful 2

24 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

It's the Motocross Mt Rushmore and in my book that means all aspects of motocross and the highest honor in MX/SX is championships.  James changed the way guys ride....Bubba Scrub....but McGrath changed the way they raced

Like I said he's the most talented SX rider I've ever seen but I don't believe that warrants placing him up there above Ricky Johnson, Bob Hannah, Ryan Villopoto, Jeff Ward, Jeff Stanton and dare I say Ryan Dungey :jawdrop:

And if MX/SX championships aren't how you evaluate greatness then a whole new slew of riders deserve a spot above James. Guys like Malcolm Smith and Steve McQueen have done far more for the sport than any other riders in history and I would place Rodney Smith above James any day  

So it’s motocross Mt. Rushmore, did current participating motocross racers who dedicate their lives to being the best in the sport choose James Stewart? Yes they did. 

Seems a bit silly to go on about how professionals in the sport are wrong. But hey, I like the call about Steve McQueen - maybe I’d put him up there. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, 150dirtcomber said:

So it’s motocross Mt. Rushmore, did current participating motocross racers who dedicate their lives to being the best in the sport choose James Stewart? Yes they did. 

Not all of them and like I said some of them think motocross started when they discovered it. Like Eli  

• Helpful 1
  • Angry 1

17 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

Not all of them and like I said some of them think motocross started when they discovered it. Like Eli  

Of course people will choose based on their life experience. The intent of the video was to be subjective so that each racer might choose 4 different guys. If they told the racers “pick the top 4 championship winners” everyone would choose the same 4 guys and there’d be no point in the video.

But yet you and red seem to be determined to gatekeep anyone from choosing James. 

23 minutes ago, 150dirtcomber said:

But yet you and red seem to be determined to gatekeep anyone from choosing James. 

We aren't gatekeeping.  You're allowed to choose whomever you want, as long as it isn't JS7 lol.

His swinger cult army, combined with blowing off a championship defense ruined it for him.  Take it up with the cult and whomever convinced him that couching it for the summer wouldn't hurt his career (it did, no more championships after that).

Edited by redrider144
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, MotorBoatin said:

It is my thread 

Start your own Bubba Gobbler thread 

You should look into becoming a mod, then you can go around touting this is my forum.

Anyways, during Bubba's show and his subsequent bone head wrecks I was a full on hater. But then it was a decade of incessant dogging of him, and that got even more obnoxious to me. I'm just glad there's no more JS7 thread at the top anymore, that was going for years. Then that got replaced with the endless YZ bad threads and I'm not sure what's worse.

I have come to the completely factual conclusion in your thread:

1. James "Bubba" Stewart Jr.
  2. Ricky Carmichael
  3.  Steve McQueen
  4. Roger DeCoster

5 minutes ago, 150dirtcomber said:

You should look into becoming a mod, then you can go around touting this is my forum.

Anyways, during Bubba's show and his subsequent bone head wrecks I was a full on hater. But then it was a decade of incessant dogging of him, and that got even more obnoxious to me. I'm just glad there's no more JS7 thread at the top anymore, that was going for years. Then that got replaced with the endless YZ bad threads and I'm not sure what's worse.

2. Ricky Carmichael
  3.  Steve McQueen
  4. Roger DeCoster

Ricky

Jeremy

Malcolm...Smith not Stewart

Everts.....if we let foreigners on an American monument 

• Helpful 1

1 minute ago, MotorBoatin said:

Ricky

Jeremy

Malcolm...Smith not Stewart

Everts.....if we let foreigners on an American monument 

Yeah I was thinking is it just a hypothetical "who'd you carve in a mountain" question, or who would you make an American Monument to. I'd choose Everts on there as well, I think the Euro guys get slept on a lot here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 150dirtcomber said:

Yeah I was thinking is it just a hypothetical "who'd you carve in a mountain" question, or who would you make an American Monument to. I'd choose Everts on there as well, I think the Euro guys get slept on a lot here. 

I was a fan of his dad but what Stefan did on a bike was special to watch 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Are you gonna click your heels three times and say HDR, HDR, HDR?

He is gonna click his heels three times and hope the rest of us old guys forget that he was once one of the big JS7 sac swingers. If you catch him on good day he will even admit he watched that stupid "reality" tv show...?

3 hours ago, 150dirtcomber said:

2. Ricky Carmichael
  3.  Steve McQueen
  4. Roger DeCoster

Those YZ threads were spot on, just took the yamaboys a while to admit it. Once they did it calmed down fast. 

5 hours ago, 150dirtcomber said:

Seems a bit silly to go on about how professionals in the sport are wrong. But hey, I like the call about Steve McQueen - maybe I’d put him up there. 

It's like picking some pop star of the moment over the beatles.  Most of these kids racing don't know who Joel Roberts or Gary Jones are, how would they pick them?