Randy K

Homemade "race gas" experiences

usually 3 grade's of av, for older planes lots of lead but lower octane. 100ll (low lead) is best for this kind of stuff. Even though it's called low lead it's enough to turn the oil grey , saw that and wore gloves from then on out. Burned it in a certified stove to heat the hanger, if the neighbors only knew.....

Don't what the op is riding but he said slow tight trails, may not even benefit from more octane?

Lost about 2 gallons of toulene by the cap not fitting up tight . Didn't take than long either. The 5 gal can was empty and already rusting as the dry metal surface was stripped clean.  So I used the can for used motor oil, it leaked at one of the rusted seams.   Makes you wonder how long the volatile s actually lasted in a vented gas tank

21 minutes ago, Randy K said:

But seems like it isnt too problematic in your bike, what bike has a cat?                  What is the average price for c12 in your area?

Sport bike  and many other motorcycles, I even think the Honda dual sport 450 has a cat.  I wouldn't recommend leaded fuel at fuel strength with a cat, too much material would pass through too quickly. But at my ratio never seen an issue or even an 02 read issue.

I actually came across someone who did  6 grams per gal with a cat, and ofcourse there were running issues as a result.  

• Like 1

The first bike I had that had cats was my ‘85 RZ 350. Yep, two stroke with cats. When I say had cats, well they were there from the factory, must’ve fallen off and all I could find to replace them were these expansion chambers 🤷🏼‍♂️ That bike had some dodgy shit to pass smog, exhaust would recirculate when you let off the gas. It was a damn fun bike though once it was sorted. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lil_squid said:

This sounds super redneck.. and dangerous..

sign me up!

Hold my beer and watch this!

I watched a dude about 25 years ago dump a bunch of stuff in his tank on his 250R right before heading out on the track. When he got to the line, and wound that bitch up, it burned straight through the center of the head. Almost looked like a torch burnt through it. 

• Haha 3

nobody mentioned that lead wrecks o2 sensors in short order.  Guess that does not apply to us at this point in time.  

1 hour ago, burntvalves said:

nobody mentioned that lead wrecks o2 sensors in short order.  Guess that does not apply to us at this point in time.  

Ive not see that with low ratio at all, if anything is keeps the 02's clean and decarboned  ,  as I have a motorcyle 02 sensor with 115,000 miles subjected to lead its whole life(zero 02 issues) .  But if running Full strength heavy leaded fuel with 6 grams per gallon, it could effect their read ,, that would produce way too much LEADed SNOW FLAKES in the exhaust path, which could effect the reading of the o2 sensor.

Like the Guy I mention, that tried to run full strength vp leaded on a R1 with a cat, Thats not gonna work, that cause him issues.

• Helpful 1

23 hours ago, burntvalves said:

Im running a carburetor so im in the clear, but good to bring that up too

23 hours ago, PopWill said:

Hold my beer and watch this!

I watched a dude about 25 years ago dump a bunch of stuff in his tank on his 250R right before heading out on the track. When he got to the line, and wound that bitch up, it burned straight through the center of the head. Almost looked like a torch burnt through it. 

Seen a lot of warning of running race gas in 2 strokes. Sounds like it is warranted advice. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:50 PM, Clutch44 said:

I put avgas in a new generator just because it keeps so well. After 3 days of running there was a ton of lead on the plastic where it exhausts, and the bricks that the exhaust was blowing onto. That made me a firm believer of using the right octane for the motor in question.

Seeing lead sprayed on some bricks made you a believer in correct octaine?

I don't see the relationship.

My generator has like a gazillion hours on whatever fuel I have laying around. I think it ran for about an hour on mouthwash one time. Ran out of gas at night, but had about 2 liters of Scope.

Edited by Turn,TheScrew
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

My generator has like a gazillion hours on whatever fuel I have laying around. I think it ran for about an hour on mouthwash one time. Ran out of gas at night, but had about 2 liters of Scope.

I can understand being unsure of using avgas if you have a chance of lead exposure to kids mainly would be my concern. Otherwise im in the same boat of how they are connected too. 

5 hours ago, Turn,TheScrew said:

I assume the low compression motor was building up lead on the head and spark plug from not burning hot enough. I don't ever see any lead build up on the exhaust or spark plug of my bike which has a high compression head. Although it's mixed 50/50 with sunoco 110 and 87, which is still probably around 2grams/gallon. Am I wrong? Shouldn't a higher compression burn off all that lead?

I think lead deposit builds up no matter what, I run a very conservative 20% race fuel mix for an average of about 95 octane (R+M/2)

(20% Sunoco Standard 110 to 80% ethanol-free pump premium 91)

and even in a high revving, high load application, a sand track ridden YZ125

I still observe small deposits on the plug's base ring ID and, on the piston's crown

which I think are from the very brief to/from staging area to track trips at lower speeds/rpms.

Edited by mlatour
  • Helpful 1

The residue on the brick was most likely soot from running rich, not "lead deposits".

• Like 1

On 11/21/2020 at 4:47 PM, Randy K said:

Seen a lot of warning of running race gas in 2 strokes. Sounds like it is warranted advice. 

Buddy runs 50% VP110, I run 20%; never any problems.

Not saying that vp110 is bad, but what im saying is making your own "race gas" in 2 strokes sound dangerous with adding acetone or zylene in  to increase octane, i personally just bought 5 gallons of 100LL avgas to try against my homemade stuff in a 12:1 compression 4 stroke

11 hours ago, Randy K said:

100LL avgas

Avgas is intentionally low volatile, but I'm sure it could be blended for benefit in some engines.

Remember, a fuel is a lot more than it's Octane rating.