faris114

Should i start my bike once in a while 2 stroke

Hello i have beta 300 RR year model of 2017 i was wondering what bad things could happen regarding mechanical parts due to the bike not started for a long time and would it make a difference if start once in a while and should i start like if keep it without starting it for a year could i damage the engine so basically i want to know how bad is to set a bike for  long time is for mechanical parts...! thank you 

Fuel going bad and jelling up is your only concern, Always use ethanol free fuel if you can find it, if not then no big deal. Either way always store using a fuel stabilizer and that should keep your fuel from spoiling for about a year.

The fuel will evaporate some out of the carb bowl after short periods of time and cause hard starting do to excessive oil in the bowl. To remedy this, lay the bike over on its left side and let some fuel out through the carb overflow then pick the bike up and it will start right up 

Edited by gitenby

Severe depression, among other neurological disorders can happen when you don't ride your bike for extended periods of time.

As far as the mechanical side, drain the cab DRY if it is to be stored, and possibly a fuel stabilizer in the tank to keep the fuel good for extended periods, especially important if you have ethanol added in your fuels in your Country. Best course of action is to drain off all fuel from the bike and store tank/carb empty. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

depends on what you consider a long time. weeks, months, or years. I put fuel stabilizer in all my bikes whether I ride immediately or store it. I found out the hard way here in Cali the ethanol fuel can go bad in a couple of weeks. I have an aprilia that I don't ride any more. Can't sell it because it's so beautiful to look at. keep it on a battery tender and fuel stabilizer and start it every 6 mos. no problem

• Like 1

what about a engine fog? never done it  but in cold and or wet climates i would think it would be beneficial

1 hour ago, Josh Rowe said:

pointless for a 2 stroke imo

ever tear a 2 strke down and find rusty crank brgs.? maybe a heavy fogging would help on a long storage time.def. more of a 4 strke thing i agree

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, campdirt said:

ever tear a 2 strke down and find rusty crank brgs.? maybe a heavy fogging would help on a long storage time.def. more of a 4 strke thing i agree

That’s where an exhaust plug is beneficial. 

Feul is the only real issue unless sits for 20 years the seals can dry rot. Kick it over by hand every once in awhile if can 

3 hours ago, shrubitup said:

That’s where an exhaust plug is beneficial. 

agree to agree

On 11/20/2020 at 4:06 AM, faris114 said:

Hello i have beta 300 RR year model of 2017 i was wondering what bad things could happen regarding mechanical parts due to the bike not started for a long time and would it make a difference if start once in a while and should i start like if keep it without starting it for a year could i damage the engine so basically i want to know how bad is to set a bike for  long time is for mechanical parts...! thank you 

I used to start mine up every week and let idle for a few minutes. Bad idea. It filled the chamber up with about a quart of oil. Well maybe not quite that much..DSC_0409.thumb.JPG.767f472fd8828793acf1963a52ff48b4.JPG

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, drumiv said:

I used to start mine up every week and let idle for a few minutes. Bad idea. It filled the chamber up with about a quart of oil. Well maybe not quite that much..DSC_0409.thumb.JPG.767f472fd8828793acf1963a52ff48b4.JPG

sheeshhhh

On 11/20/2020 at 6:44 PM, campdirt said:

2 stroke engines get fogged by design.

You could drop mix ratio and get the engine running "wet" prior to a long storage. 

the real issue for long term storage is fuel age and most importantly the temperature and relative humidity in the space. warm humid summer air locked in the engine will condense out water at lower temps! 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 3:55 AM, drumiv said:

So at what point do you grab a drain pan? 😜

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dhdrider said:

So at what point do you grab a drain pan? 😜

Let it flow, baby!