Hyh Gyg

Hey guys i am new to dirt bikes and i just want your opinion

Hey guys i have never rode a dirt bike or a motorbike with clutch.I have rode in the past an automatic scooter 125 for maybe 3 times and an automatic suzuki 50cc landie for 3 times again.I don't have any experience with dirt bikes and clutch of motorcycles but i really want to get into it.What do you suggest me to do? I mean how to learn to ride? And what dirt bike to get? I have been checking the prices here for dirt bikes and for like yzf 250 and crf 250 of 2008 is like 2000 to 2500 euros.Do you think it will be worth it to get such an expensive one for first time? Any help is good.

Edited by Hyh Gyg

Start small. I’ve owned 85s, 125s, 250s, and it’s not the speed of the bike it’s the skill of the rider. I’d start out with a smaller honda xr/crf100f or crf150f depending on your budget. If you’d rather have a 2 stroke, seek out an 85 possibly with a big wheel setup (rm85l, cr85rb, kx100, etc) depending on your height. You can always sell the bike and make your money back once you gain the confidence to handle more power. 

Appears clutch control is your  biggest fear and hurdle to overcome. 

Depending on maturity level and body size,  I think you can easily start off on a 250 motocrosser, but a CRF 125  big wheel would be more ideal for a 4T

Plug in Maintenance factors of a used 250 motocrossing scoot you may get easily frustrated.

Small bored clutch controlled 4T from any of the big four is what you need to look for.

Also you can look for small bored big wheeled 2T's ... but you still need to be careful until you get used to power delivery. 

Do you have any friends that ride? It would be a difficult thing to do starting out without some help.

Going through the motorcycle safety classes through your DOL to get your moto license is a great way to learn the basics of operating a moto safely. The beginner classes will teach you everything. Plus once you get through it you can get your license if you are ever interested in riding on the road. A dirt bike class is also a good option. I think it's kind of an expensive way to learn to use a clutch though, I would highly recommend taking a class after a few hours of seat time that way you can spend time in the class learning how to turn and brake and position your body rather then just how to clutch. 

For a bike if you think you are the type that takes to things quickly and are good at similar things like riding a bicycle, or are generally good at physical sports a 250 might be okay to start on. Otherwise a ttr230 or similar smaller less powerful bike will be easier to manage. Think of your first bike as a temporary tool to learn on, don't worry about it being perfect a year from now, if you like riding you will likely want something different after you get some good seat time no matter what. 

Also invest in some decent gear. Boots are not optional. I learned that from experience. 

Have Fun! 

• Like 1

You should get a slightly newer bike (or brand new), lets say 2010+. You'll do more riding and less smacking yourself in the face with a wrench in the garage.

Also, since this is your first bike, don't get a race bike (like the ones you see on TV). 

Look into a trail bike. They are cheaper, easier to control, and require barely any maintenance.

A Crf230f, Klx230r, or Ttr230 will be your best bet.

If you are confident that your can handle a slightly more powerful engine, a Yz85, Cr85, Kx85/100, or Rm85 can also suit you.

230's are mid size trail bikes, while the 85's are youth race bikes that have slightly more power than a 230 and have better suspension.

Edited by lil_squid
  • Helpful 1

23 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

You should get a slightly newer bike (or brand new), lets say 2010+. You'll do more riding and less smacking yourself in the face with a wrench in the garage.

Also, since this is your first bike, don't get a race bike (like the ones you see on TV). 

Look into a trail bike. They are cheaper, easier to control, and require barely any maintenance.

A Crf230f, Klx230r, or Ttr230 will be your best bet.

If you are confident that your can handle a slightly more powerful engine, a Yz85, Cr85, Kx85/100, or Rm85 can also suit you.

230's are full size trail bikes, while the 85's are youth race bikes that have slightly more power than a 230 and have better suspension.

Actually, the 230's are more of a mid size.  Slightly smaller than full size and slightly bigger than youth.

Just now, KcDavis said:

Actually, the 230's are more of a mid size.  Slightly smaller than full size and slightly bigger than youth.

thats what i meant bike "full size trail"

ill fix it

There's also more types of racing than motocross.  Mid size trail bikes can make fine race bikes if you're running in the woods.  

Edited by KcDavis

9 minutes ago, KcDavis said:

There's also more types of racing than motocross.  Mid size trail bikes can make fine race bikes if you're running in the woods.  

motocross, supercross, trail, cross country, enduro, freestyle, supermoto, trials, flat track

a beginner probably won't do freestyle, though. :D

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

thats what i meant bike "full size trail"

ill fix it

Weight of bike fully laden should also  be major factor in considering a first bike.

My KX 100 big wheel  (SUPPOSEDLY) weighs in at 145 dry. And I can't really doubt those specs when moving around our other ohv's

This has helped me immensely going from 4 wheelers back to two as a 61 year old fart 

1 minute ago, Rod21 said:

My KX 100 big wheel  (SUPPOSEDLY) weighs in at 145 dry. And I can't really doubt those specs when moving around our other ohv's

A kx100 is just a kx85 with a big bore kit and big wheels

It really goes down to height.

If he's tall, Kx100.

If he's shorter, Kx85,

2 hours ago, Hyh Gyg said:

Hey guys i have never rode a dirt bike or a motorbike with clutch.I have rode in the past an automatic scooter 125 for maybe 3 times and an automatic suzuki 50cc landie for 3 times again.I don't have any experience with dirt bikes and clutch of motorcycles but i really want to get into it.What do you suggest me to do? I mean how to learn to ride? And what dirt bike to get? I have been checking the prices here for dirt bikes and for like yzf 250 and crf 250 of 2008 is like 2000 to 2500 euros.Do you think it will be worth it to get such an expensive one for first time? Any help is good.

A word of advice.  I was looking not too long ago for my first dirt bike and received a lot of help from replies on this forum.  Some of these guys have been doing this since moments out of the womb it seems and have an abundance of knowledge on the subject.  That being said, they will require more information from you to really dial in an appropriate choice.  There is a thread in the "What bike should I buy" forum that you should read, then put that information in your post.  You size, height and weight, your build (are you athletic or mushy couch potato), and what type of terrain do you have available to ride (trails, dessert, MX parks).  The answer to these things will help these guys make a more informed recommendation for you.

And definitely look into and get appropriate safety gear!  There are plenty of threads that can inform you about what is deemed required, those things that are highly recommended, and even some good to haves.

• Like 2

It's an expensive sport. 

Most of the cost is initial, such as getting gear, a trailer, and a bike. Gear is a minimum of $800, bike is about $2500, and a working trailer is about $500 - 1000.

You'll spend a lot repairing crash damage, replacing regular wear parts, changing fluids, and paying track/trail fees.

Edited by lil_squid
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/20/2020 at 11:40 PM, Bigfatredpig said:

Do you have access to trails or just motocross tracks? Do you know someone who rides that can teach you? How tall are you?

I am 6 feet 2 inches and muscular at 85 kg.I know some guys but i haven't talked to them for like 10 years.I have access to some forest which look for motocross tours😂😂.Because i don't really know very good english i don't know whst you mean by trails but there are some forests nearby and some good places with dirt which you can drive i think and have fun.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:33 PM, Hyh Gyg said:

Edit:i am 6 feet and 2 iches and 85 kg.I am pretty strong i will say.

On 11/20/2020 at 11:58 PM, Drzjosh125 said:

Start small. I’ve owned 85s, 125s, 250s, and it’s not the speed of the bike it’s the skill of the rider. I’d start out with a smaller honda xr/crf100f or crf150f depending on your budget. If you’d rather have a 2 stroke, seek out an 85 possibly with a big wheel setup (rm85l, cr85rb, kx100, etc) depending on your height. You can always sell the bike and make your money back once you gain the confidence to handle more power. 

I am 6 feet and 2 iches.I mean i would like more an rmz 125 or a yzf 125.But thet are very expensive.I have found some rmz 125 of 06 at 3000 and another one from 01 for 2000.Then found a yzf 125 01 for 2100 and another yzf 125 01 for 3000.But all of those motorbikes were looking very good for there age.

23 hours ago, Rod21 said:

Appears clutch control is your  biggest fear and hurdle to overcome. 

Depending on maturity level and body size,  I think you can easily start off on a 250 motocrosser, but a CRF 125  big wheel would be more ideal for a 4T

Plug in Maintenance factors of a used 250 motocrossing scoot you may get easily frustrated.

Small bored clutch controlled 4T from any of the big four is what you need to look for.

Also you can look for small bored big wheeled 2T's ... but you still need to be careful until you get used to power delivery. 

Well yeah i think so too that clutch would be a hard think to learn.By the way i am 6 feet and 2 inches.