Jump to content
Little General

CR250R front end out of alignment , maybe missing a spacer

Recommended Posts

As you guys know, I'm putting a 1985 CR250r back together out of a box. i put the front end back together and my front wheel points to the right. A buddy of mine tried to help me fix the problem. We tried the loosen up the triple tree bolts, the steering head bolt, axle bolt and no matter how we held the wheel straight or even to the left and tighten up all bolts, the wheel still points to the right. We didnt try the bouncing the front forks trick, I don't have any front brakes. I got to looking at the parts break down and I dont have a number 6 as shown on the Honda parts diagram. As far as the brakes, are there any other year models that will bolt up to the 1985. Parts are hard to find and I need the master cylinder , hose and caliper. 

MjA0MDQ1NA-ccb9fe42.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder why the number 6 spacer is not listed in the part breakdown list below the exploded diagram? I looked in multiple places . If the axle bolt and retaining bolts are loose, should that not take the spacer out of the equation? Here is a picture from my manual , I just looked in it. It doesn’t show a spacer on the side opposite the brake rotor 

ECA27E0A-D7A3-48AA-A119-0C078F321E62.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part “6” is not listed in your clymer manual because it does not belong on your year of bike. 
if you check the fiche online #6 is not listed, meaning it does not belong on that year. The picture is for many years, however the items listed(On right) and below are the items pertaining to your particular year. 
 

C5709084-474C-445F-9123-E0C5AC46D199.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats what I thought too, plus this Clymer Manual is ok , but not the best if you are putting back together a bike that you didnt take apart. Its very vague in many places and lots of stuff not even covered. There are quite a few parts missing and some parts don't even go with this bike that for now I am just getting it running. LAter I may find the correct parts to make it right or just keep it as a fun rider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For example I have a 05 CRF250R and my Clymer covers 2002-2005 CRF250X,CRF250R,CRF450X,CRF450R so I'll double check the correct OEM Microfiche's for the 05 CRF250R to at least get the OEM part's if I need to order OEM or as you're doing to see how things would go together.

Now with that said the front axle has the built in front right spacer then if you might have part 5 which IMO would have the dust seal/sort of small spacer like 5 on my CRF250R as an example below or maybe you have 26 (dust seal) then you would need 6?

Medium?ariz=3

Then for the 85 CR if you only

As far as aligning the front weight correctly, there is a correct procedure - basically installing the wheel while the bike is on the stand, then putting in the ground, holding the front brake, compressing the forks, then back on the stand to finish tightening. Its not a trick and should be clearly explained in the Cylmer.

Post some pics with showing the axle and space on each side of the forks and are you sure you have the OEM front axle for the 85 CR?

Sorry long post and hope this might help

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will post pics after I get front brakes. The front brake parts I have , the hose is wrong ( 2 bolt on ends ) and is way too short. I just ordered off eBay a complete front set up for an 87? , I think , anyway the master cylinder and hose  were  the same part number as my 85 and the bolt to hold the bottom hose to the caliper was the same , so I should be close to correct.  I am going to pull the front forks back off to shine them up a bit while waiting on brake parts and I may as well add the blue fork gators while I’m at it. I will report back probably after Dec first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The large shouldered area on the end of the axle is often the spacer. If #6 was supposed to be there and missing the axle would stick out to far on the other end. A missing spacer would move the wheel to the side not make it crooked. Something seems to be bent. Rotate the front end parts and look for run out. If the handlebars are rubber mounted something could be off there. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, hondamac said:

The large shouldered area on the end of the axle is often the spacer. If #6 was supposed to be there and missing the axle would stick out to far on the other end. A missing spacer would move the wheel to the side not make it crooked. Something seems to be bent. Rotate the front end parts and look for run out. If the handlebars are rubber mounted something could be off there. 

 

You are correct in that spacer 6 is  only to correct the offset built into the rims, every rim has offset . Something else is the problem with this bike. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Start looking at the frame, especially around the headstock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today upon further inspection I found the washer under the top but I’m the steering head missing. I think every time to tried to tighten the top but it got the fork trees out of wack. Anyway, I ordered a washer and a cap but for the top of the head. I will report  back in Dec how it all works out. Thanks for all the advise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 8:14 PM, Little General said:

As you guys know, I'm putting a 1985 CR250r back together out of a box. i put the front end back together and my front wheel points to the right. A buddy of mine tried to help me fix the problem. We tried the loosen up the triple tree bolts, the steering head bolt, axle bolt and no matter how we held the wheel straight or even to the left and tighten up all bolts, the wheel still points to the right. We didnt try the bouncing the front forks trick, I don't have any front brakes. I got to looking at the parts break down and I dont have a number 6 as shown on the Honda parts diagram. As far as the brakes, are there any other year models that will bolt up to the 1985. Parts are hard to find and I need the master cylinder , hose and caliper. 

MjA0MDQ1NA-ccb9fe42.png

#3,#6,#2 all keep it lined up...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

#3,#6,#2 all keep it lined up...

Yes, in the central and straight ahead position. What the op is saying is he’s got a twist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Twist?

Yes, a twist. As in not straight, out of line, askew, cock-eyed. Twisted. 

Opposed to off centre.

I was thinking bent frame or something out at the head-stock?? But not sure.

Edited by Hughie
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Little General said:

Here are a few current pics waiting on front end parts. 

6DFBBDD3-007C-4153-82D2-2DC5A0259F7C.jpeg

E2CC477E-0FD8-40CE-AB62-3F28E39B6E97.jpeg

Well obviously work in progress 🙂

At this point once you get the forks on, put on the front wheel assembly (you will not need the front caliber at this point) and at the very least you should have an approximate idea of of wheel/front end alignment.

Of course if the steering stem is bent, you'll have bigger issues but with the tank off, you should be able to eyeball that to the frame.

In the mean time if you want to post some pics of the axle as well was left/right side of the front hub with what ever spacers you have,

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hughie said:

Yes, a twist. As in not straight, out of line, askew, cock-eyed. Twisted. 

Opposed to off centre.

I was thinking bent frame or something out at the head-stock?? But not sure.

Got ch' Hoss! LOL! I thought you ment a twist like a novel. Got cha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...