Bill_B

Trading one bike for another, how to do it? 

Anyone have experience trading a bike you own with someone else's bike?  Is there a DMV form? I've looked but not finding it on DMV site.  

Long story short, and total bone head move on my part. I went to look for the title for my son's current 2005 YZ125 as we are thinking of selling it to get him a new bike.  The bike he had before the YZ was a 2008 TTR125.  When selling the TTR I gave the buyer the WRONG title 🤬 DUUUUUP! So technically & legally we still own the TTR and he owns our YZ125, and yes that means we are both paying each other's registration since then. That was 4 years ago.  Lucky I actually still had the text from the guy I sold it to, I contacted him, explaining my total bone head mistake and he's like no problem we'll get it worked out.  "Moto peps" are awesome!  Glad I still have the text and he's so cool about it.  

Is it possible to do trade, swap titles, and change ownership?  How do you do it? 
or is it better to do the standard title transfer? 
What option is cheaper?
Hoping to get input and avoid going to DVM, 

Don’t know the answer but I almost did the same thing , almost signed over the wrong pink to a guy when I had two bikes and was selling one. Luckily the guy noticed it before I handed him the title to my newer bike.  Ya know ya get talking and handing money over and you pick the wrong pink ....  bone head move but you’re not the only bone head .  Seems like going to the DMV is the only way 

Edited by bigbob

8 hours ago, bigbob said:

Don’t know the answer but I almost did the same thing , almost signed over the wrong pink to a guy when I had two bikes and was selling one. Luckily the guy noticed it before I handed him the title to my newer bike.  Ya know ya get talking and handing money over and you pick the wrong pink ....  bone head move but you’re not the only bone head .  Seems like going to the DMV is the only way 

Ya avoiding DMV probably not going to happen on this one. Unless some other lame ass did the same thing here and has gone threw it.  Even lamer is the fact that I’ve renewed the reg and did not notice I was registering the wrong bike.   

I/we have to many cars and bikes I guess I bound to make a mistake.  

double doop! 🥴

13 hours ago, KcDavis said:

How many different ways are there to get a title in one's name?  

Not sure.

• Haha 1

I'd explain the situation to dmv first and see if they can do a correction. If not, easiest thing will be to just sign over each pink as though your selling each other the bikes back. 2 separate dmv transactions. sticking point might be the sales price. You could try to say your gifting each other the bikes or try a small sale price to reduce the sales tax. No matter what, I see a trip to the dmv in your future.

When I bought my ford ranger in '96 I got called back to the dealer the next day because the salesman had written up the transaction on a different truck that I had test driven but not the one I ended up buying. I think he got fired.

• Like 1