Jump to content
Laura Woodard

The perfect bike 5'2" 95 pounds

Recommended Posts

We are looking to buy my girlfriend a bike again. She used to ride about 12 years ago. Then she rode a 75 Honda Redwing. She currently rides an ATV  Honda 300x) used to race a 400 quad but now wants to go back to a bike. She has great balance and is coordinated on a bike BUT still needs to get reacquainted with a bike again. She would like an electric start if possible along with a kick start.  Wouldn't be racing but maybe a hare scramble here and there. MOSTLY trails and some motor cross tracks. The parks that we go to have quite a few hill climbs and hill descents and don't her having any issues with those either. We aren't too worried about having to do adjustments to the bike to cut it down to her size or put a bigger tire on it or something to make it the right height. Just don't want to get a bike that she will be bored on super fast but with her being small I'm afraid a lot of the things we are looking at will be so little power. Also don't want her to be overwhelmed while getting reacquainted with a bike. If you have any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think she really needs the time to get reacquainted, check out any of the 4 bikes @JustinXR mentioned above. For the KLX140: it comes in 3 flavors which should help with finding the right fit, and the KLX140R F model has full sized 18"/21" wheels. The TTR125-LE and CRF125F Big Wheel do not. All have beginner-friendly engines, including the XRs, and if ridden right, can make it up and down those hills.

If having both feet on the ground and/or the learning factor is less of a concern (meaning she has enough knowledge, however rusty, to not loop it out on the first go) I would think (I could be wrong) that a faster bike would bring more smiles to her face on a dirt bike. In this case, the E-start will be a bit of a limiting factor for bikes that will ergonomically fit her. I immediately thought CRF150R Expert. It's faster, but no E-start and 19"/16" wheels. I'm 5'4", and the ergonomics were quite nice for my height. I could still comfortably touch the ground with both feet. For perspective/comparison, it was pretty snotty/torquey, for me, a first time dirt rider, at the time. I should have gotten one of the 4 models mentioned above at that skill level.

I would maybe have a conversation with her first. How comfortable does she think she'll be getting back on dirt? Does she think she needs to "start all over" or will she think it's "like riding a bike"?

If you haven't already, visit some dealerships if they're open. Have her sit on a couple at least to get a feel for size.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Chemx said:

If you think she really needs the time to get reacquainted, check out any of the 4 bikes @JustinXR mentioned above. For the KLX140: it comes in 3 flavors which should help with finding the right fit, and the KLX140R F model has full sized 18"/21" wheels. The TTR125-LE and CRF125F Big Wheel do not. All have beginner-friendly engines, including the XRs, and if ridden right, can make it up and down those hills.

If having both feet on the ground and/or the learning factor is less of a concern (meaning she has enough knowledge, however rusty, to not loop it out on the first go) I would think (I could be wrong) that a faster bike would bring more smiles to her face on a dirt bike. In this case, the E-start will be a bit of a limiting factor for bikes that will ergonomically fit her. I immediately thought CRF150R Expert. It's faster, but no E-start and 19"/16" wheels. I'm 5'4", and the ergonomics were quite nice for my height. I could still comfortably touch the ground with both feet. For perspective/comparison, it was pretty snotty/torquey, for me, a first time dirt rider, at the time. I should have gotten one of the 4 models mentioned above at that skill level.

I would maybe have a conversation with her first. How comfortable does she think she'll be getting back on dirt? Does she think she needs to "start all over" or will she think it's "like riding a bike"?

If you haven't already, visit some dealerships if they're open. Have her sit on a couple at least to get a feel for size.

There is an internal investment and commitment that comes from researching a bike on her own too. Nothing going to work perfect and there is going to be some struggle. Girls can figure this out too given the need and enough want. It might even be empowering to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, pussywagon said:

There is an internal investment and commitment that comes from researching a bike on her own too. Nothing going to work perfect and there is going to be some struggle. Girls can figure this out too given the need and enough want. It might even be empowering to them. 

I don't disagree with you, but there's no harm with just being encouraging. No need to tell someone the question is dumb. All that does is potentially makes someone not feel welcome or want to ask a question again. 

OP, I think it's great you're being supportive and helping with bike selection, and do tell your girlfriend she is welcome to come on here and chat with folks herself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chemx said:

I don't disagree with you, but there's no harm with just being encouraging. No need to tell someone the question is dumb. All that does is potentially makes someone not feel welcome or want to ask a question again. 

OP, I think it's great you're being supportive and helping with bike selection, and do tell your girlfriend she is welcome to come on here and chat with folks herself!

I didnt say anyone's question was dumb btw. I asked if mY question was? And I don't have a girlfriend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pussywagon said:

I didnt say anyone's question was dumb btw. I asked if mY question was? And I don't have a girlfriend. 

Girlfriend statement was was directed at the OP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think with her experience, she'll get tired of the beginner bikes in a hurry. I'd look at a beta xtrainer and maybe lower it. they have lowering kits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...