Another 3x3 question.. carb kit

Sorry I’m sure this has been answered before.. 

for starters can anyone drop the drz faq link? I can’t find that damn thing cuz I suck at forums. Thank you

alright so people are telling me I own a 2006 sm on the forums. Title says dr-Z400 fairing says sm plus it’s all stock. Why doesn’t the title say sm? Still lost

Either way to the topic of discussion

going to do the 3x3 after I order the carb kit.. but which one do I get and where do I get it? Can I get it off of rockymountainatvmc.com? If so which one? I went through the store on this app but didn’t find any kits either.. Lost and sick of looking. 
I purchased the shindy carb rebuild kit off rocky mountain. Will I possibly need this one as well, or do I return. 
drop a link to everything if you guys can. I’ll take a look at the forums on the desktop to get a better grasp of it.

thanks much

17 minutes ago, Need2BeFree said:

Tyty!

my drz came with a k&n

do i need to ditch that for another one? Thought k&n wasn’t the greatest for some reason 

You only have USA as your location and note the State which might help with this question a bit but regardless how much are you planning on riding it in the dirt and would it be for extended periods in dry/dusty/sandy conditions?

I have a K&N in my 400e and ride it about 70% street/30% dirt.

Then when I do ride it in the dirt it is rarely if ever really dry/dusty/sanding and when it is it is only for short periods of time and IMO when they are cleaned/oil correctly its perfectly fine.

Otherwise you can get a foam filter but then again, you still need to clean/oil correctly.

There is an extensive topic in the General Dirt Bike forum on K&N Filters if you search or go back about a month.

1 hour ago, Need2BeFree said:

Tyty!

my drz came with a k&n

do i need to ditch that for another one? Thought k&n wasn’t the greatest for some reason 

If you want filtered air, use a foam filter.

K&N is a fashion accessory.

3x3 and Jet Kits are also " must-have fashion items". You don't need them.

Get an open muffler first, for power mods. The standard one is choked up.

Edited by Tony Wyp

3 hours ago, Need2BeFree said:

Sorry I’m sure this has been answered before.. 

for starters can anyone drop the drz faq link? I can’t find that damn thing cuz I suck at forums. Thank you

alright so people are telling me I own a 2006 sm on the forums. Title says dr-Z400 fairing says sm plus it’s all stock. Why doesn’t the title say sm? Still lost

Either way to the topic of discussion

going to do the 3x3 after I order the carb kit.. but which one do I get and where do I get it? Can I get it off of rockymountainatvmc.com? If so which one? I went through the store on this app but didn’t find any kits either.. Lost and sick of looking. 
I purchased the shindy carb rebuild kit off rocky mountain. Will I possibly need this one as well, or do I return. 
drop a link to everything if you guys can. I’ll take a look at the forums on the desktop to get a better grasp of it.

thanks much

Put up a pic of your bike and carb for positive identification.

13 hours ago, Tony Wyp said:

Put up a pic of your bike and carb for positive identification.

I’ll post another carb picture if needed it does say Mikuni or whatever the stock carb is but didn’t look long enough for the number. I can do that later today. 
If anything I’ll be mainly street riding as there aren’t many trails around here and I’ve never been to a track in my life so idk how I’d begin to learn that.. 

I’m going to assume there’s a topic somewhere out there on open mufflers. Looked on my desktop last night and found a couple things I haven’t found on my phone so I’ll keep searching

Much appreciated

1FB263C2-A5D7-4F9D-A191-7098AA808801.jpeg

79873C84-F22B-42DC-B6EB-B8206B81BA4A.jpeg

C87AC0A1-145D-4B54-AB80-3D73EBE096E5.jpeg

8 hours ago, Dmouse said:

I agree, they are also very durable and will last a bikes lifetime

I should add that next time I'm buy parts or whatever I'll probably buy some of these just to have around in case I actually get some off road riding around the interior of BC next summer cus there are are place that get get really dry/dusty.

fsdsdfsdfs.jpg.3652cba12d937ee7c235da7e94aa4ccc.jpg

Also my buddy bough the 2003 400e new and really didn't do a lot of maintenance on the bike but mainly just road short trips on the streets. When he moved to where I currently live got him to buy a Clymer manual cus I was taking him out doing more off road and helped him do oil changes etc.

I'd never really that dusty here so never thought about his air filter until he moved to OZ 3 years ago and GAVE me the bike to take care of indefinitely.

I put an hour meter on it right away, did a complete oil/filter change, flushed the rads etc etc so I knew what I was starting with.

I then looked at the K&N and I'm pretty sure he had not cleaned/oil since 2003. New type air filter for me so got the K&N recharge kit and IMO bio so really easy to clean but it can be easy to over oil the filter and less can be a bit more than you think.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with this topic BUT so sorry for the LONG reply ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhilthyX said:

I should add that next time I'm buy parts or whatever I'll probably buy some of these just to have around in case I actually get some off road riding around the interior of BC next summer cus there are are place that get get really dry/dusty.

fsdsdfsdfs.jpg.3652cba12d937ee7c235da7e94aa4ccc.jpg

Also my buddy bough the 2003 400e new and really didn't do a lot of maintenance on the bike but mainly just road short trips on the streets. When he moved to where I currently live got him to buy a Clymer manual cus I was taking him out doing more off road and helped him do oil changes etc.

I'd never really that dusty here so never thought about his air filter until he moved to OZ 3 years ago and GAVE me the bike to take care of indefinitely.

I put an hour meter on it right away, did a complete oil/filter change, flushed the rads etc etc so I knew what I was starting with.

I then looked at the K&N and I'm pretty sure he had not cleaned/oil since 2003. New type air filter for me so got the K&N recharge kit and IMO bio so really easy to clean but it can be easy to over oil the filter and less can be a bit more than you think.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with this topic BUT so sorry for the LONG reply ?

thats alright, pretty damn nice of him to give it to you :o
K&N definitely seems to be the way to go for most motorcycles. I opted out of it with my cb1100 for some reason, dont remember lol
damn i wish i had my parts so i could get to work. still on the hunt for a few things. 
i too plan to flush the rad and such. inspect everything i can just so i can learn and know right when the maintenance has been done.  figure i should change most of the lines while im at it even if theyre in good condition. guess im somewhat of a freak. rather cover all bases and make sure but damn theyre surprisingly expensive for such small hoses. currently using babbits oem parts not sure if theres a better website out there
still tryn to figure out what kit i need >.< 
currently using the cyclepedia manual myself. not a huge fan of clymer manuals but id definitely buy one if i had the spare cash

2 minutes ago, Need2BeFree said:

thats alright, pretty damn nice of him to give it to you :o
K&N definitely seems to be the way to go for most motorcycles. I opted out of it with my cb1100 for some reason, dont remember lol
damn i wish i had my parts so i could get to work. still on the hunt for a few things. 
i too plan to flush the rad and such. inspect everything i can just so i can learn and know right when the maintenance has been done.  figure i should change most of the lines while im at it even if theyre in good condition. guess im somewhat of a freak. rather cover all bases and make sure but damn theyre surprisingly expensive for such small hoses. currently using babbits oem parts not sure if theres a better website out there
still tryn to figure out what kit i need >.< 
currently using the cyclepedia manual myself. not a huge fan of clymer manuals but id definitely buy one if i had the spare cash

He gave me the BIKE (signed it over to me for $0 so I could plate/insure) and K&N just came with it

IMO getting the 400e might have been the best gift EVER ?

Funny but I just download the 400e Suzuki shop manual (like 350 pages) and IMO the Clymer manual the covers 2000-2012 E, S & SM is actually better but to each there own.

Out of interest where roughly in the USA do you live and you should update your location profile to show the state.

Anyway good luck with your project and enjoy it cus I love mine ?

3 hours ago, Need2BeFree said:

I’ll post another carb picture if needed it does say Mikuni or whatever the stock carb is but didn’t look long enough for the number. I can do that later today. 
If anything I’ll be mainly street riding as there aren’t many trails around here and I’ve never been to a track in my life so idk how I’d begin to learn that.. 

I’m going to assume there’s a topic somewhere out there on open mufflers. Looked on my desktop last night and found a couple things I haven’t found on my phone so I’ll keep searching

Much appreciated

1FB263C2-A5D7-4F9D-A191-7098AA808801.jpeg

79873C84-F22B-42DC-B6EB-B8206B81BA4A.jpeg

C87AC0A1-145D-4B54-AB80-3D73EBE096E5.jpeg

That's the stock carb.

MRD ZPro (SSW) is the only exhaust system available today that works well for a mostly stock engine but won't restrict peak HP and top end on all out engine builds 

You can buy the pipe and jet kit from the Thumpertalk store 

I recommend ordering a factory service manual from your local Suzuki shop. I think you will find the trouble shooting tree most helpful. 

12 minutes ago, PhilthyX said:

He gave me the BIKE (signed it over to me for $0 so I could plate/insure) and K&N just came with it

IMO getting the 400e might have been the best gift EVER ?

Funny but I just download the 400e Suzuki shop manual (like 350 pages) and IMO the Clymer manual the covers 2000-2012 E, S & SM is actually better but to each there own.

Out of interest where roughly in the USA do you live and you should update your location profile to show the state.

Anyway good luck with your project and enjoy it cus I love mine ?

right! my best gift was 1500.00 for gear from my father friend. picked up a shoei rf1200 rumpus red graphics on sale for 480.00 safety first man!
id love to look at the shop manual for a diagram reference. i like to try and break them down learn all the terminology so i dont sound like a fool (currently do) lol
actually just updated my profile, im out in Illinois currently
Thanks man! 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

That's the stock carb.

MRD ZPro (SSW) is the only exhaust system available today that works well for a mostly stock engine but won't restrict peak HP and top end on all out engine builds 

You can buy the pipe and jet kit from the Thumpertalk store 

I recommend ordering a factory service manual from your local Suzuki shop. I think you will find the trouble shooting tree most helpful. 

alright good
havent heard the mrd zpro was hoping to get the fmf powercore exhaust. might just end up keeping stock idk.. so only certain exhausts will work with the stock engine huh?
is it the JD Jetting Jet Kit i need? https://shop.thumpertalk.com/jd-jetting-jet-kit-dr-z400s-sm-jds005.html

will do! probably like 80 bucks huh. troubleshooting is what my manual lacks. gives some stuff but not enough for an inexperienced guy like myself to understand.. plus it shows diagrams thatll break down the carburetor showing each individual piece correct? cuz thats just what im hoping for

I'm by no means an expert with the bikes, different models, carbs etc but I find looking at the correct OEM microfiche can ID parts and maybe help with assembly.

For example pick the 2006 SM (S is another option) but you need to confirm model and carb if someone has not already.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-suzuki-dr-z400sm/o/m9748

06sudrz400sm006.gif

Parts list for above

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-suzuki-dr-z400sm/o/m9748#sch510006

Hope this help and I'm assuming its getting cold and will snow soon in Illinois so not sure if you'll be doing any riding over the winter.

1 minute ago, Need2BeFree said:

alright good
havent heard the mrd zpro was hoping to get the fmf powercore exhaust. might just end up keeping stock idk.. so only certain exhausts will work with the stock engine huh?
is it the JD Jetting Jet Kit i need? https://shop.thumpertalk.com/jd-jetting-jet-kit-dr-z400s-sm-jds005.html

will do! probably like 80 bucks huh. troubleshooting is what my manual lacks. gives some stuff but not enough for an inexperienced guy like myself to understand.. plus it shows diagrams thatll break down the carburetor showing each individual piece correct? cuz thats just what im hoping for

That's it.

The MRD Z Pro, (formally known as the SSW edition) was built to replicate the performance of the discontinued Yoshimura titanium TRC. This was the high water mark as far as DRZ400 exhaust systems go. Nearly all other exhausts, while much better than stock, limit mid to top end power.  As mods progress, the more significant the difference. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, PhilthyX said:

I'm by no means an expert with the bikes, different models, carbs etc but I find looking at the correct OEM microfiche can ID parts and maybe help with assembly.

For example pick the 2006 SM (S is another option) but you need to confirm model and carb if someone has not already.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-suzuki-dr-z400sm/o/m9748

06sudrz400sm006.gif

Parts list for above

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2006-suzuki-dr-z400sm/o/m9748#sch510006

Hope this help and I'm assuming its getting cold and will snow soon in Illinois so not sure if you'll be doing any riding over the winter.

holy crap thank you! yeah im still waiting on a confirmation of my drz. still kinda lost on it..
that diagram makes everything super simple
looking in my cyclepedia book it says the DR-Z400SM has a 120/70R17 tube type for front and 140/70R17 for the rear while the DR-Z400S has a 80/100 - 21 front and 120/90 - 18 Rear which is what i believe i have. ill have to go doublecheck the tires. but couldnt the previous owner just throw that wheel set on? I do also have inverted forks if you take a look at the pic i left. heard that a telltale sign of a SM was the inverted.
thanks again youve been a huge help
edit: also will be doing a little bit of winter riding for a few minutes at a time. low speeds in the bean fields :D

Edited by Need2BeFree