SDP76

XR/CRF80 Piston wont fit, what should I do???

Hello all, I recently came across a 2002 Honda xr80r project. It did not run and came with a piston and I had no idea if it was the correct one or not. I put the serial code of the piston into google and it said that it was a Wiseco 49mm and when doing some research I thought that it would fit. I thought that it was great and I proceeded to order everything for a brand new top end. I took everything off today and pulled the cylinder, tried to put it in and it does not fit. What should I do? Order a new stock piston top end kit, or bring the cylinder to a shop and get it bored out to proper specs? Also if I get the cylinder bored out to fit the 49mm piston what other things will I need to do in order for it to work properly? Any help and/ or comments are appreciated. I am in a little bit of a rush so the sooner the better, I don't like working in the cold, haha, thanks.

Edited by Scott Palmer

4 hours ago, SDP76 said:

Hello all, I recently came across a 2002 Honda xr80r project. It did not run and came with a piston and I had no idea if it was the correct one or not. I put the serial code of the piston into google and it said that it was a Wiseco 49mm and when doing some research I thought that it would fit. I thought that it was great and I proceeded to order everything for a brand new top end. I took everything off today and pulled the cylinder, tried to put it in and it does not fit. What should I do? Order a new stock piston top end kit, or bring the cylinder to a shop and get it bored out to proper specs? Also if I get the cylinder bored out to fit the 49mm piston what other things will I need to do in order for it to work properly? Any help and/ or comments are appreciated. I am in a little bit of a rush so the sooner the better, I don't like working in the cold, haha, thanks.

Take your bike to a mechanic if you can't do the basics brother.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Momus said:

Take your bike to a mechanic if you can't do the basics brother.

I have had no problem with any of the tear down process, I was just looking for some guidance on what to do with an over-sized piston haha.

2 hours ago, SDP76 said:

I have had no problem with any of the tear down process, I was just looking for some guidance on what to do with an over-sized piston haha.

That's why I made the suggestion.

You are struggling to identify what you have and don't know the differences between the 80 and the 100.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Momus said:

That's why I made the suggestion.

You are struggling to identify what you have and don't know the differences between the 80 and the 100.

That makes sense, I do know about the engine I just am trying to make sure that I am doing the right thing. Thank you for your help.

Edited by SDP76

I'm pretty sure the stock cylinder can be bored to accommodate that piston you bought....

Next up would be to buy an OEM Honda Service manual for your bike... That's always the best insurance $$$ ever spent!

2 minutes ago, mixxer said:

I'm pretty sure the stock cylinder can be bored to accommodate that piston you bought....

Next up would be to buy an OEM Honda Service manual for your bike... That's always the best insurance $$$ ever spent!

I have one downloaded online and it is a life safer haha. It has all of the torque values and is just all around great. I have heard that the boring of the cylinder would be cheaper (and faster) than getting an oem setup. Thanks for the info. 

You gotta get a real paper copy so you can fold pages and write notes on it...

Pdf is for kids with cell phones using youtube videos to see which end of a ratchet to hold....😁

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

Pdf is for kids with cell phones using youtube videos to see which end of a ratchet to hold....😁

Lol, I’ll compare the prices to print it vs buying one. Thanks for the suggestion. 

1 hour ago, mixxer said:

I use sticky notes. Slightly extending them outside the page creates handy reference tabs. 

• Helpful 1

2 hours ago, motrock93b said:

I use sticky notes. Slightly extending them outside the page creates handy reference tabs. 

I try to be very organized and this might be the tip that I needed to stay on task. Thank you!

1 hour ago, burntvalves said:

don't go oversize unless the hole is damaged, or worn out.  

worn looking is not to be confused with worn out.  

When I took off the cylinder this is what I saw. No rings on the piston and a cir-clip missing. Looking into the bottom end I saw many metal filings. I already flushed the bottom end out and found the cir-clip and got the metal filings out. I will closely examine the cylinder more.Thanks for the tip.

4 hours ago, SDP76 said:

When I took off the cylinder this is what I saw. No rings on the piston and a cir-clip missing. Looking into the bottom end I saw many metal filings. I already flushed the bottom end out and found the cir-clip and got the metal filings out. I will closely examine the cylinder more.Thanks for the tip.

Post more pics of everything 👍

54 minutes ago, mixxer said:

Post more pics of everything 👍

I already flushed out the cylinder with gas but I will do a full video on all the parts of the engine... would you like pictures or a video?

37 minutes ago, SDP76 said:

I already flushed out the cylinder with gas but I will do a full video on all the parts of the engine... would you like pictures or a video?

I think pics would be best