New Ford Ranger

17 hours ago, dezracerE said:

Eyeballing one now.

Maybe...

4dr short box 4x4

I’d be loading bikes into the back before you pull the trigger. The 4 door has a very short box. I was looking at the extended cab longer box (if you can call it that) at a traffic light. I could see a bike possibly fitting with the tailgate down. 

Edited by Into the sunset

17 hours ago, Into the sunset said:

I’d be loading bikes into the back before you pull the trigger. The 4 door has a very short box. I was looking at the extended cab longer box (if you can call it that) at a traffic light. I could see a bike possibly fitting with the tailgate down. 

It'll absolutely fit with the tailgate down.  The new Ranger bed length with a crew cab is 60".  My crew cab Frontier bed length was 59.5" and I had 2 bikes back there on multiple occasions.

2 bikes fit fine, back tire is a little forward of mid-gate. The extened cab and slightly longer bed puts the back tire right at the bed/gate gap.  Plenty of pics on Google.

Have hauled plenty in a crew cab Tacoma, which also has a 60" bed as well. 

On 12/1/2020 at 12:37 PM, Into the sunset said:

My box now is  only 4' 8 with the toolbox.

More bike room in the Ranger for me...tailgate down...

On 12/5/2020 at 10:44 PM, dezracerE said:

Ranger can be flat towed in a 4x4 config.

Now I have to remove the driveshaft on the Taco or risk frying the rear tranny bearing.

I thought half the point of owning a Tacoma was that it never needs towed?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

On 12/9/2020 at 7:13 AM, Piney Woods said:

Why do the new Ranger and Colorado stand up so stupid tall? Stupid!

I think they don't want mid-size pickup buyers to feel emasculated, so they tried to style them like little big rigs.

I also own a full-size diesel pickup that looks the part, so I'm fine with my daily driver Taco being what it is. 

Sooo...you want a mid-size, but have been bitching about the Ranger, Colorado, and Ridgeline...it's now time for you to choose either the Taco or the Frontier. There are probably some good deals out there right now '20 or '21 Frontiers, as the updated model is coming out soon. If you go automatic, I'd rather have the Frontier's powertrain over the Taco. I went 6 speed manual on my Tacoma, so I don't have the driving issues that the auto guys do.

Edited by Sierra_moto

3 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Checked on the current Frontier just last week. They have the new engine and have jacked up the price to match, no decent deals. Yet. I am watching.

Yeah, I wasn't sure with the rest of the country. When I was searching for my current ride, I was looking hard at the Frontiers...what turned me off, was that dealers were asking new Tacoma money for a pickup that was essentially 15 years old. I figured if I was going to spend that much money, I might as well just get the Taco. It only has 30k miles on it, so too early to tell, but I'm pleased so far.

The Ranger actually had some really good deals when I was shopping, it was by far the cheapest option. However, my experience with a newer Ford has been anything but impressive, so it would be hard for me to by another FoMoCo product. It may surprise people, but my most reliable vehicle ever was a Daimler-era Dodge pickup. It had over 180k miles on it when I sold it. The only thing done that was more than just basic maintenance, was a new AC compressor and a power steering pump.

On 12/11/2020 at 1:36 PM, Sierra_moto said:

I think they don't want mid-size pickup buyers to feel emasculated, so they tried to style them like little big rigs.

I also own a full-size diesel pickup that looks the part, so I'm fine with my daily driver Taco being what it is. 

Sooo...you want a mid-size, but have been bitching about the Ranger, Colorado, and Ridgeline...it's now time for you to choose either the Taco or the Frontier. There are probably some good deals out there right now '20 or '21 Frontiers, as the updated model is coming out soon. If you go automatic, I'd rather have the Frontier's powertrain over the Taco. I went 6 speed manual on my Tacoma, so I don't have the driving issues that the auto guys do.

Up until the "facelift" the Frontier had a stellar 6-speed manual borrowed from the 350Z.  Way back in 06 I test drove a few Frontier and Taco's with a manual, in comparison the Tacoma 6 speed felt like I was shifting a tractor.  In fairness I don't know if Toyota has improved that in their many facelifts to the Tacoma since then.

2 hours ago, bassjam said:

Up until the "facelift" the Frontier had a stellar 6-speed manual borrowed from the 350Z.  Way back in 06 I test drove a few Frontier and Taco's with a manual, in comparison the Tacoma 6 speed felt like I was shifting a tractor.  In fairness I don't know if Toyota has improved that in their many facelifts to the Tacoma since then.

The manual in the 3rd gen Tacoma is a big improvement over the 2nd gen's 6 speed. I'm used to shifting a 6-speed diesel, so even the 2nd gen didn't feel that bad to me. Manual Frontiers are rare as hen's teeth around here...even my Taco was hard to find, had to drive halfway across the state to buy it.

The new rangers are cramped on the inside.  I looked at one to possibly replace my F150, but the bew ranger is almost as big as my 07 f150, but has less room everywhere.  My dad recently got a 2019 ridgeline and honestly the thing is amazing, rides great, plenty of room, and will fit full size bikes in the bed.  Prices have gotten so high on used trucks that they aren't worth looking at, so I guess I'll see how long my F150 lasts, it's an 07 with over 170k miles.