My dad is getting 28-29mpg highway with his ridgeline.  IMO they look better with the update and are a pretty good alternative to the few midsize trucks on the market.  The ranger and canyon are about the size of a 90s fullsize with less room.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/7/2020 at 7:28 AM, bassjam said:

I thought half the point of owning a Tacoma was that it never needs towed?

Toad....

Secondary vehicle towed behind the RV.

RV for sleeping, toad for sightseeing...

• Like 1

For those comparing the new Ranger to an F150...all I can say is BULLSHIT.

No way they are the same size...unless you are comparing it to a gardener regular cab...and even those are way wider....I have owned both.

Even my 2000 Tundra was bigger...and got shittier mileage. No freakin way I am chasing around the dez in a Ridgeline.

I would buy another Taco if I could flat tow it without removing the drive shaft...and dont post up the driveshaft disconnect nonsense.

• Like 1

I've parked my 07 F150 crew cab next to a new ranger, the new ranger is as tall, almost as long and skinnier.  It's way bigger than the old ranger and more cramped. The taco and frontier are the only body on frame midsize trucks that haven't grown to be oversize for what they are. The ridgeline is a great option for someone that wants to haul a bike and some junk while not going down anything more than a fire road.  If you are going way off the roads then there are better options.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 4:42 AM, ratranger said:

I've parked my 07 F150 crew cab next to a new ranger, the new ranger is as tall, almost as long and skinnier.  It's way bigger than the old ranger and more cramped. The taco and frontier are the only body on frame midsize trucks that haven't grown to be oversize for what they are. The ridgeline is a great option for someone that wants to haul a bike and some junk while not going down anything more than a fire road.  If you are going way off the roads then there are better options.

Look at the specs. I have...I need to fit it in my garage with some space left. F150 crew...no way...Ranger and Colorado...no problem.

I have a regular cab Taco now. My Taco is wider with TRD wheels.

I would probably buy another Taco if I didnt have to take the freakin drive shaft off to flat tow. I am tired of doing that...and I ain't getting a coupler...dont trust them for what I do. 

211 inches long, 71.5 tall and 77.8 wide with mirrors folded on a 2020 ranger.  My 07 f150 crew cab is 224 long, 73.5 tall, 79.9 wide no mirrors.  So the new ranger is not much smaller than my crew cab f150. 

On 12/23/2020 at 8:23 PM, ratranger said:

211 inches long, 71.5 tall and 77.8 wide with mirrors folded on a 2020 ranger.  My 07 f150 crew cab is 224 long, 73.5 tall, 79.9 wide no mirrors.  So the new ranger is not much smaller than my crew cab f150. 

Width Is 73.3. Half a ft narrower and a ft shorter than an F150 is not the same size...unless you failed math.

I owned an 07 F150 4x4...it was much bigger. 

I'll pull the taco and Ridgeline specs next. Probably not much different.

On 12/23/2020 at 8:23 PM, ratranger said:

Width Is 73.3. Half a ft narrower and a ft shorter than an F150 is not the same size...unless you failed math.

I owned an 07 F150 4x4...it was much bigger. 

I'll pull the taco and Ridgeline specs next. Probably not much different.

Taco...212, 75.2, 70.6 tall in TRD 4or short bed crew. Longer and wider than the Ranger.

Ridgeline.

210, 78.6, 70.2 tall.

1 inch shorter. 5 inches wider and 1 inch lower than the Ranger.

2022 F150.

231.7, 80 wide, 77.2 tall.

Ranger is 20 inches shorter, 7 inches narrower. 5.5 lower than new F150.

No comparison.

07 F150 crew short bed

224.3 long, 79 wide. 76 tall. Still much bigger than a new Ranger

Edited by dezracerE
  • Like 1

lets not forget the ridgeline is a unibody. No frame, which is ok until you get in a fender bender. my brother has one and loves it. but he uses his truck for camping and urban use.

Edited by randysoo

Pulled the trigger on a new Ranger 4x4.

XLT with tow. Tinted and crappy plastic bedliner.

Nice 90 mile drive home. Pretty smooth.

Like 23 mph uphill so far.

Got Bridgestones instead of the crappy Hankooks too.

Similar to this one but Sport instead of FX4...wanted the locker but not the FX4...Couldnt get it for a decent price.Doing my own suspension eventually.

Taco is for sale.

20210110_153525.jpg

• Like 4

On 12/9/2020 at 9:02 AM, JimiPanDemic said:

The new Rangers are still ugly AF. Not quite as bad as G.M's equivalent. 

Heyy!!! 😁

20210116_085327.jpg

18 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Those wheels gotta go. Sorry.

Oh well, I like them. I get alot of people asking me about the truck. It's a RockyRidge edition. Came new like this. I'm sure they did some market research. Probably needs to be washed up and some new rubber. 

Edit: this is what it would look like if I waxed it and put some new tires on it. I think they look pretty tough. 300 HP too

ae21a5f2c8b0322607d8686228d72f58.jpg

Edited by jcross312
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2021 at 8:20 PM, dezracerE said:

Pulled the trigger on a new Ranger 4x4.

XLT with tow. Tinted and crappy plastic bedliner.

Nice 90 mile drive home. Pretty smooth.

Like 23 mph uphill so far.

Got Bridgestones instead of the crappy Hankooks too.

Similar to this one but Sport instead of FX4...wanted the locker but not the FX4...Couldnt get it for a decent price.Doing my own suspension eventually.

Taco is for sale.

20210110_153525.jpg

Nice! I have been on the fence about picking up a new Ranger for a while. Just can’t seem to reconcile the unavailability of a manual transmission option. Picked up a used ‘10 F150 FX4 instead and can’t stand the 6R80E characteristics. Hopefully the 10R80 in the Ranger is much improved! 

8 hours ago, Grimlock said:

Nice! I have been on the fence about picking up a new Ranger for a while. Just can’t seem to reconcile the unavailability of a manual transmission option. Picked up a used ‘10 F150 FX4 instead and can’t stand the 6R80E characteristics. Hopefully the 10R80 in the Ranger is much improved! 

I had a 95 Ranger 4.0 with a 5 spd. Not very good IMO.

These new ones with the 10 spd, manual mode and sport are pretty freakin good.

270 hp...rips.

Time to set up to tow, toad and race chase. Very nice 90 mile drive home.

Edited by dezracerE

On 12/22/2020 at 5:42 AM, ratranger said:

Yep. The Ranger and Colorado are stupid narrow and too long/tall. My 01 Dakota was the perfect midsize and had a v-8. The '22 Ranger is said to be much improved, almost complete redo.

Edited by Piney Woods

5 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Yep. The Ranger and Colorado are stupid narrow and too long/tall. My 01 Dakota was the perfect midsize and had a v-8. The '22 Ranger is said to be much improved, almost complete redo.

This thing is super smooth, quick and handles almost like a car. Its slightly taller in the rear than my Taco unloaded...like 1 inch at the tailgate.

On 1/16/2021 at 8:59 PM, dezracerE said:

I had a 95 Ranger 4.0 with a 5 spd. Not very good IMO.

Things were different 25 years ago.  I had a 98 Ranger, same 4.0 and 5 speed.  It was a pretty good truck engine for the time with plenty of low end grunt.  I never felt like it lacked for power when I was towing or offroading.  It was far better than the 3.0, which I also had in the same 5-speed 4x4 configuration.  Maybe the  4.3 in the S10's might have done better slightly back then, but nobody put high horsepower engines in trucks then.  Even the 302 in the F150 barely put out 200hp.  I remember being jealous when Ford released the 2001 Ranger with the SOHC 4.0 putting out like 210 hp.

Things changed in 05.  Nissan had that sweet 4.0 in the Frontier, 265hp, 285 lb ft of torque.  Toyota's 4.0 put out a still respectable 240 hp.  They didn't feel like "truck" engines anymore, but they were more enjoyable for commuting.