9 hours ago, bassjam said:

Things were different 25 years ago.  I had a 98 Ranger, same 4.0 and 5 speed.  It was a pretty good truck engine for the time with plenty of low end grunt.  I never felt like it lacked for power when I was towing or offroading.  It was far better than the 3.0, which I also had in the same 5-speed 4x4 configuration.  Maybe the  4.3 in the S10's might have done better slightly back then, but nobody put high horsepower engines in trucks then.  Even the 302 in the F150 barely put out 200hp.  I remember being jealous when Ford released the 2001 Ranger with the SOHC 4.0 putting out like 210 hp.

Things changed in 05.  Nissan had that sweet 4.0 in the Frontier, 265hp, 285 lb ft of torque.  Toyota's 4.0 put out a still respectable 240 hp.  They didn't feel like "truck" engines anymore, but they were more enjoyable for commuting.

Sold the ranger and bought first gen Tundra 4.7 v8...loved  that truck...brother still has it...2000. Ranger just wouldn't pull my little travel trailer good enough.

Got 7 mpg one stretch in a big head wind

..3rd gear...like 3500 lbs.

This new Ranger rips...like 270 hp. Havent towed yet but my buddy has.. 3k easily.

On 12/18/2020 at 6:47 AM, ratranger said:

The new rangers are cramped on the inside.  I looked at one to possibly replace my F150, but the bew ranger is almost as big as my 07 f150, but has less room everywhere.  My dad recently got a 2019 ridgeline and honestly the thing is amazing, rides great, plenty of room, and will fit full size bikes in the bed.  Prices have gotten so high on used trucks that they aren't worth looking at, so I guess I'll see how long my F150 lasts, it's an 07 with over 170k miles. 

I get that hence why im still driving my 02 f-150 with 278k on it.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:02 PM, dezracerE said:

Sold the ranger and bought first gen Tundra 4.7 v8...loved  that truck...brother still has it...2000. Ranger just wouldn't pull my little travel trailer good enough.

Got 7 mpg one stretch in a big head wind

..3rd gear...like 3500 lbs.

This new Ranger rips...like 270 hp. Havent towed yet but my buddy has.. 3k easily.

I could see a travel trailer giving it issues at highway speeds.  I towed a couple ton of gravel and sand several times with mine, and pulled countless loads of firewood and it always did fine, but I never tried to pull a big wind sail.

46 minutes ago, bassjam said:

I could see a travel trailer giving it issues at highway speeds.  I towed a couple ton of gravel and sand several times with mine, and pulled countless loads of firewood and it always did fine, but I never tried to pull a big wind sail.

True...2500 lb boat was much easier than the 3k box...although it was not real tall and had a sloped nose.

Just got my bed mat and then realized it would not fit right over the Ford plastic bedliner. Decided to cut the rubber mat to fit...what a mess...looks good now though.

1/2 inch spacer for the front struts coming...going to look at removing the rear spring pad to drop the rear a little also...make it more level for now.

Probably adjustable Kings down the road.

I dropped the rear of my F150 an inch.  It levels it some, but the biggest advantage for me was just to make it easier to load.  The shackles I have can go another inch lower which would be a full level and probably would make the height about perfect for me, I just hate the nose up in the air look when I have the bed loaded with lumber!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bassjam said:

I dropped the rear of my F150 an inch.  It levels it some, but the biggest advantage for me was just to make it easier to load.  The shackles I have can go another inch lower which would be a full level and probably would make the height about perfect for me, I just hate the nose up in the air look when I have the bed loaded with lumber!

Cant do shackles...too bad...that's easy.

They are already very short and not straight...tapered.

On 1/14/2021 at 12:50 PM, dezracerE said:

Pulled the trigger on a new Ranger 4x4.

XLT with tow. Tinted and crappy plastic bedliner.

Nice 90 mile drive home. Pretty smooth.

Like 23 mph uphill so far.

Got Bridgestones instead of the crappy Hankooks too.

Similar to this one but Sport instead of FX4...wanted the locker but not the FX4...Couldnt get it for a decent price.Doing my own suspension eventually.

Taco is for sale.

20210110_153525.jpg

These are super popular here in Aus as competition to the Toyota Hilux.

What engine does it have? They sell them here with a 2.2 diesel that has 10 gears or something.

They are very car like. My uncle bought one as a second hand govt car (actually was his personal work car before he retired)

He then sold his 1987 LandCruiser which IMO was a travesty.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:53 AM, BushPig said:

These are super popular here in Aus as competition to the Toyota Hilux.

What engine does it have? They sell them here with a 2.2 diesel that has 10 gears or something.

They are very car like. My uncle bought one as a second hand govt car (actually was his personal work car before he retired)

He then sold his 1987 LandCruiser which IMO was a travesty.

2.3 gasser turbo 4 cyl.

270 hp.

10 spd auto with tow lockup and a sport mode...manual option also.

Get the extended warranty if you plan to keep it past the original. Unless things have changed you can get it up to the last day.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, Piney Woods said:

Get the extended warranty if you plan to keep it past the original. Unless things have changed you can get it up to the last day.

Never buy extended warranties.

If it's a POS...I'll sell it...get something that is not...like the Taco I just sold.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dezracerE said:

If it's a POS...I'll sell it...get something that is not...like the Taco I just sold.

Yep, I traded my last newish car in before the warranty was up. Warranty or not, I didn't want the POS anymore. The Tacoma I have now, I have no intention of selling it even once the warranty is up. It's still early on in ownership, but I'm pretty optimistic with its reliability. My diesel truck hasn't been in warranty for years, but it's super reliable and I have no intention of messing that up on something newer.

8 hours ago, Sierra_moto said:

Yep, I traded my last newish car in before the warranty was up. Warranty or not, I didn't want the POS anymore. The Tacoma I have now, I have no intention of selling it even once the warranty is up. It's still early on in ownership, but I'm pretty optimistic with its reliability. My diesel truck hasn't been in warranty for years, but it's super reliable and I have no intention of messing that up on something newer.

My last 2 Fords were good though...95 Ranger and an 04 F150.

Bought the lower tech XLT...as were my other Fords. Way too much tech for a truck out there on the up level units.

I only put like 4k a year on my trucks. Use the RV a lot...car for road trips.

14 hours ago, dezracerE said:

Yup.  If you keep whatever the warranty would cost in a savings account you'll have enough to cover 95% of the repairs it'll likely ever need and still have money left over when you buy a replacement.

8 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Savings acct,,,at .05% int??? Might be a better choice out there somewhere. 😉

Warranty company will probably deny any claims anyway...notorious for that...excuses galore....I'll fix it myself.

2 hours ago, dezracerE said:

Warranty company will probably deny any claims anyway...notorious for that...excuses galore....I'll fix it myself.

I always figured the extended warranty stuff was a scam anyway. The Toyota dealer I bought my Tacoma from, had some some third-party extend warranty and service plan rolled into the advertised price of the pickup. I don't even know that Toyota wants its dealers doing shady stuff like that, but I saved nearly $4k just by having them remove that plan.

Edited by Sierra_moto
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 5:25 AM, dezracerE said:

My last 2 Fords were good though...95 Ranger and an 04 F150.

Bought the lower tech XLT...as were my other Fords. Way too much tech for a truck out there on the up level units.

I only put like 4k a year on my trucks. Use the RV a lot...car for road trips.

wife's 18 f150 is an XLT sport - nice amount of comforts.  Not sure if they are putting apple car play as standard equipment or it applies to you, but it sure is nice using mapping apps like WAZE instead of the shitting standard Ford navigation.

Edited by soylent_green

9 hours ago, soylent_green said:

wife's 18 f150 is an XLT sport - nice amount of comforts.  Not sure if they are putting apple car play as standard equipment or it applies to you, but it sure is nice using mapping apps like WAZE instead of the shitting standard Ford navigation.

I can connect my phone directly...no need for nav in the truck. Extra 1k for the tech package which Inc's that and adaptive cruise radar which I hate...and that unit blocks the bumper hole where I want to put a light bar.

Finished adding a 1/2 inch spacer to the front and removed the 1/4 inch spacer from the rear for s 3/4 switch to ease up on the downward rake.

20210127_104328.jpg

Edited by dezracerE
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, dezracerE said:

I can connect my phone directly...no need for nav in the truck. Extra 1k for the tech package which Inc's that and adaptive cruise radar which I hate...and that unit blocks the bumper hole where I want to put a light bar.

Finished adding a 1/2 inch spacer to the front and removed the 1/4 inch spacer from the rear for s 3/4 switch to ease up on the downward rake.

20210127_104328.jpg

I see you have snow too...can you fully disable the traction control? I find the traction control and stability control in my Taco to be unnecessarily intrusive in snow.

It freaks out in low-traction situations and it actually makes the front push in corners if I'm driving at a 'spirited pace' in the snow...the other day I was able to pitch it sideways into a turn, but it would not let me use the throttle to try and drift through the turn/control the slide...I ended up just sliding off the road into the snow berm. I was just playing around, but I could see how somebody could accidentally get into a slide, but not be able to use the throttle to try and correct. I can full disable both systems, but I have to be parked to do so.