Jump to content

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Sierra_moto said:

I see you have snow too...can you fully disable the traction control? I find the traction control and stability control in my Taco to be unnecessarily intrusive in snow.

It freaks out in low-traction situations and it actually makes the front push in corners if I'm driving at a 'spirited pace' in the snow...the other day I was able to pitch it sideways into a turn, but it would not let me use the throttle to try and drift through the turn/control the slide...I ended up just sliding off the road into the snow berm. I was just playing around, but I could see how somebody could accidentally get into a slide, but not be able to use the throttle to try and correct. I can full disable both systems, but I have to be parked to do so.

 

My Frontier had a rudimentary traction control system that sucked and IMO made things worse.  There was no way to disable it, but when I put a truetrac in the rear end that alleviated a lot of the problems because the electronic "limited slip" no longer detected a one wheel peel and rarely kicked in.  I could do donuts for days if I wanted.

I'm actually impressed with the traction control in my 2014 F150 though.  I've tried to get it to kick the rear end around or dive the nose into a turn on snowy roads, and the electronics kick in and straighten me out almost immediately.  I can still turn it off while driving if needed, but I never have because it works so well.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dezracerE said:

I can connect my phone directly...no need for nav in the truck. Extra 1k for the tech package which Inc's that and adaptive cruise radar which I hate...and that unit blocks the bumper hole where I want to put a light bar.

Finished adding a 1/2 inch spacer to the front and removed the 1/4 inch spacer from the rear for s 3/4 switch to ease up on the downward rake.

 

20210127_104328.jpg

The stock jacked up rear is due to a simple spacer that can be removed? Simple, one man removal? Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 8:28 AM, Into the sunset said:

I used to have a 1987 Ranger with a long box. I remember I could haul 2 full size bikes and gear with the tailgate closed. Can you haul a bike in the new model tailgate open? 

The 2001-2011 Ranger Standard Cab was available with a 6-ft box or a 7-ft box. If you could fit 2 bikes with the gate closed, you had 7ft.

You won't get a box longer than 6ft on any midsize truck these days. The Ranger is not available with a standard cab - Crew with a 5-ft box or extended with 6-ft box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sierra_moto said:

I see you have snow too...can you fully disable the traction control? I find the traction control and stability control in my Taco to be unnecessarily intrusive in snow.

It freaks out in low-traction situations and it actually makes the front push in corners if I'm driving at a 'spirited pace' in the snow...the other day I was able to pitch it sideways into a turn, but it would not let me use the throttle to try and drift through the turn/control the slide...I ended up just sliding off the road into the snow berm. I was just playing around, but I could see how somebody could accidentally get into a slide, but not be able to use the throttle to try and correct. I can full disable both systems, but I have to be parked to do so.

 

Not sure...I know in low range its automatic.

Will play around next time out.

Not into whipping it around in the snow...this is my cruiser.

I have the golf cart for that.

I know my manual Taco would have been better in the slop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

The stock jacked up rear is due to a simple spacer that can be removed? Simple, one man removal? Thanks.

It's only. 3 of an inch...took it out...you have to remove the center pin and shave a little of the pin and overload dowel pin...takes about 45 min to an hr per side. added .5 to the front for .8 difference...looks a lot better. I did have to reset the tow but camber looks pretty good...only a .5 spacer in the front.

Also...in the rear...there is a 1/4 inch plate on the driver's side...they probably put it in to level it since the fuel tank is on that side...leave that in or the level will be off.

 

Edited by dezracerE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

👍👍

21 hours ago, dezracerE said:

I can connect my phone directly...no need for nav in the truck. Extra 1k for the tech package which Inc's that and adaptive cruise radar which I hate...and that unit blocks the bumper hole where I want to put a light bar.

Finished adding a 1/2 inch spacer to the front and removed the 1/4 inch spacer from the rear for s 3/4 switch to ease up on the downward rake.

 

20210127_104328.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2021 at 9:26 PM, Sierra_moto said:

I see you have snow too...can you fully disable the traction control? I find the traction control and stability control in my Taco to be unnecessarily intrusive in snow.

It freaks out in low-traction situations and it actually makes the front push in corners if I'm driving at a 'spirited pace' in the snow...the other day I was able to pitch it sideways into a turn, but it would not let me use the throttle to try and drift through the turn/control the slide...I ended up just sliding off the road into the snow berm. I was just playing around, but I could see how somebody could accidentally get into a slide, but not be able to use the throttle to try and correct. I can full disable both systems, but I have to be parked to do so.

 

Just tried it in 2wd...no  problem.

What I hate is ABS. Tried to pull the fuse on the Taco but it threw a code that would not go away without a reset...so I left it on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dezracerE said:

Just tried it in 2wd...no  problem.

What I hate is ABS. Tried to pull the fuse on the Taco but it threw a code that would not go away without a reset...so I left it on.

I don't like the ABS in the snow on the Taco. It works great for general driving on wet roads, but is akin to ABS on a motorcycle in the dirt... instead of allowing for some slippage, it tries to eliminate it completely and doesn't apply the brakes hard enough. 

I grew up driving old trucks w/o abs and traction control in the snow/off road, so I'm not scared of a little slippage in the snow or ice.

Overall, I do like Taco for the inclement were weather up here. With the 4door and super short bed, it has good weight balance for the snow. I also like manual's for the snow and the locker has been used in my driveway when I have a buncha snow on it. It's way better at this than my CCLB diesel pickup. That truck works great on plowed, flat roads, but isn't that great everywhere else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sierra_moto said:

I don't like the ABS in the snow on the Taco. It works great for general driving on wet roads, but is akin to ABS on a motorcycle in the dirt... instead of allowing for some slippage, it tries to eliminate it completely and doesn't apply the brakes hard enough. 

I grew up driving old trucks w/o abs and traction control in the snow/off road, so I'm not scared of a little slippage in the snow or ice.

Overall, I do like Taco for the inclement were weather up here. With the 4door and super short bed, it has good weight balance for the snow. I also like manual's for the snow and the locker has been used in my driveway when I have a buncha snow on it. It's way better at this than my CCLB diesel pickup. That truck works great on plowed, flat roads, but isn't that great everywhere else.

I know I am going to miss my manual Taco...but I cant keep 2 trucks around ..i wanted a comfortable distance cruiser that can tow and can be towed...got tired of pulling the driveshaft on the Taco to flat tow.

Next up...C8 Corvette in a few years when i can convince the wife...been working on her since they were announced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dezracerE said:

I know I am going to miss my manual Taco...but I cant keep 2 trucks around ..i wanted a comfortable distance cruiser that can tow and can be towed...got tired of pulling the driveshaft on the Taco to flat tow.

Next up...C8 Corvette in a few years when i can convince the wife...been working on her since they were announced.

If you wait too long you won't be able to get in and out. Old dirt bikers don't fold well.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

If you wait too long you won't be able to get in and out. Old dirt bikers don't fold well.

My wife's complaint.

I'm good except my RT shoulder...and my RT knee from time to time...and my tennis elbow...and then there's the hip...

I see what you mean now...

At least I'm not as bad as Ud...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or me. In due time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Piney Woods said:

Or me. In due time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 🤣

Beats the alternative...below ground and prone...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...