PDiddy66

Yamaha YZ250X E-start petition

I’d rather have a headlight. They kick over very easily.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

12 minutes ago, elrontx said:

I’d rather have a headlight. They kick over very easily.

They gotta bring us a WR125 and WR250 2 stroke.

Just 2-stroke versions of the existing WR250f/450f.

• Like 3

I would buy a YZ250x with e start over a KTM any day.

Pantera Motorsports makes an e-start kit, but it's really expensive and there is no reason that Yamaha hasn't already put a stock e-start on all of their 2 strokes.

Edited by lil_squid

3 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

They gotta bring us a WR125 and WR250 2 stroke.

Just 2-stroke versions of the existing WR250f/450f.

That would work, the new WRs are real nice. 

4 minutes ago, elrontx said:

That would work, the new WRs are real nice. 

Same thing with the MX lineup. They need to take both 2-stroke engines and put them into the Yz-f and Yz-fx frames and they would sell like crazy.

It wouldn't cost them much, either. They already have existing designs that they need to put together.

Edited by lil_squid

11 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

Same thing with the MX lineup. They need to take both 2-stroke engines and put them into the Yz-f and Yz-fx frames and they would sell like crazy.

It wouldn't cost them much, either. They already have existing designs that they need to put together.

Agreed, I have a 250x and I like it but the frame and egros on my buddy’s 2019 wr 250 a lot more. It feels more modern and spacious.

• Like 1

Estart means nothing to me. A real wide ratio trans and a counterbalanced engine would have more appeal to me for the 250. 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 1

Unfortunately, demand simply is not there for a company like Yamaha. Where as KTM sees 5,000 units sold in a year as booming, Yamaha see 5,000 as a low sales number. Yamaha needs 10X that to justify a market. Which is why for the most part, the Yamaha 2S are more or less unchanged in 20 years. The only reason they still sell them is the tooling exists, parts in the pipeline exist and it is 'free money'. But R&D is all but non-existent.

• Like 8
  • Helpful 1

My aging knees are pushing me toward e-start. As bad as I hate to say it, I may have to give in before long, and I wish Yamaha had more options. If they’d do as mentioned above, stick the two stroke in the WR frame, update it a little with e start and I would ride it for the next 20 years. Maybe call it an IT? Too bad it won’t happen.

• Like 3

As cool as it would be to have an estart YZ250, I'm with William on this. I can see Yamaha doing the WR 4T gearset as a factory option as the parts already exist... But I wouldn't bet money on it.

I would love to see a factory lighting coil option with decent output. My DT200's single wave 12vac coil easily runs a 45/55 halogen, a 40+w LED would be blinding. The coil design could be reused... To fit a coil that size though would probably require a new stator plate, flywheel, and cover - Likely boiling down to too much r&d cost.

• Like 1

Not going to happen. Bite the bullet, put the Panthera with lighting coil on and be happy it’s not orange. OP didn’t mention the Beta 2 strokes with E-start. 

Edited by YZDOC
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Crosspower said:

Estart means nothing to me. A real wide ratio trans and a counterbalanced engine would have more appeal to me for the 250. 

:applause:

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, YZDOC said:

Not going to happen. Bite the bullet, but the Panthera with lighting coil and be happy it’s not orange. OP didn’t mention the Beta 2 strokes with E-start. 

what about the beta with e-start?  Isn't that machine 12k?  

An E-Start on a YZ250X would be more likely to see me buying a BETA.

Not everyone wants, or needs, an E-leg.

Ya don't fix what's not broken. Plenty of people are buying X's, without kickers. "Profit before people".

If you want an E-leg, buy a kit. Or, make one yourself.

Edited by Drop-Bear
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, burntvalves said:

A 250 Beta is $9000. 

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, lil_squid said:

A mate has actually built one. But, wasn't easy. He has the 325cc engine, and had to put EFI on it. Because, you know, the location of the YZF air-box.

He worked in Japan for Yamaha. They sent him the roller for free :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crosspower said:

A 250 Beta is $9000. 

30 minutes ago, burntvalves said:

Looks like Crosspower Beta me to it. 

So, lets do this: 

YZ250 around 7-7.5K or even less.

Panthera complete starter w/power stator 1,500

Oh look, a $9,000 Yamaha YZ or YZX, and you can even do it to the 03 up older ones.

WINNING!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, YZDOC said:

Looks like Crosspower Beta me to it. 

So, lets do this: 

YZ250 around 7-7.5K or even less.

Panthera complete starter w/power stator 1,500

Oh look, a $9,000 Yamaha YZ or YZX, and you can even do it to the 03 up older ones.

WINNING!!!!

My mate actually designed their starters, The 500cc ones and the YZ. Same bloke that built the 325cc EFI.

He's a freaking genius.

• Like 3