Amy Vaughan

Best bike for intermediate lady rider

I'm looking for a forever dirt bike. I've grown out of my beginners bikes. I'm posting this to try and get an idea of what to buy next. Any one care to throw some ideas out there? I'm an intermediate rider,  I'm small but athletic, I like the 250s but I've been on things like KTMS 520, it's kinda like I'm stuck in the middle. I want more power than the 250s but the KTM sent me to the moon and back, so any I'm put? I'd love to pick your brain;) 

9 minutes ago, Amy Vaughan said:

I'm looking for a forever dirt bike. I've grown out of my beginners bikes. I'm posting this to try and get an idea of what to buy next. Any one care to throw some ideas out there? I'm an intermediate rider,  I'm small but athletic, I like the 250s but I've been on things like KTMS 520, it's kinda like I'm stuck in the middle. I want more power than the 250s but the KTM sent me to the moon and back, so any I'm put? I'd love to pick your youhhh

That's awesome! U will prob want a 300 or a 500. I have a beta 300rr that I enjoy. I have the race edition so suspension is stiffer and I find that my speeds have def gone up because it can soak up the rocks. I feel like I can do anything on this bike. 

I also have the xtrainer, but I feel like I've grown out of it lately.  

I have also tried my friends ktm 500, and I think that is a total cheater bike. Was so easy to ride. Actually I struggled at first because I have only ever been on 2 strokes. 

Not sure what type of riding u do. But kudos for asking on here for yourself. 

I'm old, fat and lazy, and I ride a lot of single track and trail, so I will ride just about any size bike and enjoy it.  My main rides are all Husqvarnas, a WR125, WR300 two strokes, and a four stroke, FE501.  They all do the job just fine, although the 300 probably does the best job overall for tighter trails.  250s are nice, unless you want more bottom end.  I think two strokes work much better in technical situations than four strokes, so unless you are riding tracks and open, fast areas, the two stroke is the way to go.

Edited by dirt duchess

Is recommended a yz 250 there lighter and plenty of power  you could ever go wrong with a yz250f Lehigh is a teeny heavier but not mixing gas.

Edited by Glamissince4

When you say you want more power than the 250s, do you mean 250f or 2-stroke?  A 250 2-stroke is a whole different beast than a 250f.  Also, what type of bike are you moving up from?  Lastly, what kind of riding do you do?  Sorry for the all the questions, but I want to tailor my advice!

I ride the four strokes;) 

I’m jumping up from the klx 125 and kdx, I love the 125s I can throw them around. I do technical riding, climbing and such. More torque than speed.

On 11/23/2020 at 10:06 AM, Amy Vaughan said:

I'm looking for a forever dirt bike. I've grown out of my beginners bikes. I'm posting this to try and get an idea of what to buy next. Any one care to throw some ideas out there? I'm an intermediate rider,  I'm small but athletic, I like the 250s but I've been on things like KTMS 520, it's kinda like I'm stuck in the middle. I want more power than the 250s but the KTM sent me to the moon and back, so any I'm put? I'd love to pick your brain;) 

4 ever bike? Such a commitment, that's quite a long time, lets seee...

big-kawasaki-kmx-200-1989-200116.jpg

Bradshaws 1991 YZ250.jpg

f7fa2bf9f2a7126f0ab8e76fb2229602.jpg

Honda%20XR350R%2085%20%2001.jpg

th9MUT72V5.jpg

1 hour ago, Amy Vaughan said:

I’m jumping up from the klx 125 and kdx, I love the 125s I can throw them around. I do technical riding, climbing and such. More torque than speed.

I have the Xtrainer too. I also have a KDX. I moved up from the KDX to the xtrainer.  The xtrainer has more power and is a great bike for technical riding.  Plenty of torque and has way more power than the KDX.  I also own the beta 300 rr and find I ride that more now.  I can do everything on the RR that I can do on the xtrainer- but the rr is bigger and heavier and I don't have as much long term endurance on the rr because its a more aggressive machine and I get a little more fatigued.  The Xtrainer is lighter and it only lacks in suspension with the faster speeds.  The Xtrainer is a very purposeful bike like the kdx.  Is a modern woods weapon in my opinion.   I also think the Xtrainer and the KDX are very close to the same weight- or at least feel the same weight.  But on paper the Xtrainer is supposed to be lighter.   The xtrainer is not really a beginner bike- and it gets a lot of torque and is easy to loop out.  I have not had any issues with any of my betas.  But they are not as bomb proof as the KDX.  Really nothing is as bomb proof as a KDX. 

On 12/1/2020 at 10:49 AM, Amy Vaughan said:

If you've ridden a KDX, you must be familiar with two strokes, then.  Are you open to going the two stroke route?  I'd recommend looking for a 200, 250, or 300 enduro bike (GasGas, KTM EXC/XC-W, Husky, Beta).  These woods-built bikes will be perfect for your technical trail riding.  The 300 has a lot of torque for hill climbing and is a bigger and heavier bike than a 200 (more-so just in the way it feels when riding, rather than on paper).  A 200cc two stroke makes about the same power as a 250cc four stroke, and the 250 and 300cc two strokes make more.  So, if the 250f power isn't enough for you, look into the 250 and 300cc two strokes.  

If for some reason you're opposed to a two stroke, I can make a different recommendation, but this is my best suggestion!

You are not an intermediate rider, first of all:

You  should test, try and have several bikes with different engines and brands. Then try to adapt them to your needs or style.

You'll find your perfect bike along the way and it will change with your riding style. From the words that you wrote i guess that you want something with a lot of low end and grunt, well that's fine, but maybe after that the suspensions, the frame, the seat and the reactions of the bike won't suit your style. 

Test, test and test, that's the only way.

When you ride something that you like the engine response, you'll have a foot on the door.

Good luck!!

Edited by xtremeslide21