The Showdown: Metric vs. SAE? Cast your vote!

Metric or SAE?  

546 members have voted

1. 1. If you were king of the world and you had to pick the ONE system of measurement, what would it be?

• SAE. You skeered of fractions or something???
    • Metric. Get with the program 'Merica!

If you were king of the world and you had to pick the ONE system of measurement, what would it be: the metric or SAE? Vote in our poll so that we can see how the numbers stack up!

image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Are even Indians and Harley still SAE? All the Euro and Japanese bikes have always been metric. The entire car world has gone Metric, as has all of science. There is a modest case to be made for keeping SAE and fractions for carpentry, 2-by-4 and all that. Some say that cooking is easier with teaspoons and cups, but I don't buy it.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 3
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, motovita said:

Whitworth.

I've been riding for more than 50 years. When I first started, the old timers talked about the evils of Whitworth. Said old British bikes came with them. I was too poor at the time to think about Brit bikes, I had a Ace 90 Hodaka. I've heard the stories, but have never seen a real Whitworth bolt or wrench.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Americans only use metric for ammunition and drugs? Lol.

I'm in the great white north, so it's all metric. Except at McDonalds and subway. 1/4 lb (with cheese of course), Foot long. Etc.

"I'd like a 113.5 gram burger.....hold the mustard please"

Or a "tenth of a kg burger"?

Doesn't have the same ring.

But yet we still say things like " 2 miles of ditch for every mile of highway!"

Edited by DirtySnowHusq
  • Like 4
  • Haha 8

I voted metric for pure practicality but the imperial system will always have a place in my heart. For some reason I just have an easier time visualizating with it...

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DirtySnowHusq said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Americans only use metric for ammunition and drugs? Lol.

Not really. All manufacturing is global. Nothing with a global supply chain is SAE. And a 38 or 45 automatic is still SAE. Even American scientists and engineers switched to metric decades ago.

• Like 1

I grew up using both, I still do now and then. But I can tell you for sure the metric system is way easier to understand and use than imperial.

I mean just the fact you use 1 measurement for everything (in engineering anyhow) Like we say a sheet of steel/ally/whatever is 2400X1200 (mm) you guys say 8'X4', then we cut 25mm off, you cut of an inch. We shave .1mm off it, you go to thous (of an inch of course). It's the little shit like that that's so much easier, and of course the round numbers too.

But each to their own, like I said, I can use both no worries.

2 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

And a 38 or 45 automatic is still SAE.

Aren't some of the big aero guns in mm? Or was that just the Germans?

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, DirtySnowHusq said:

I'm in the great white north, so it's all metric. Except at McDonalds and subway. 1/4 lb (with cheese of course), Foot long. Etc.

Doesn't have the same ring.But yet we still say things like " 2 miles of ditch for every mile of highway!"

"This is a 10.9mm magnum and can blow your head clean off"

image.png.4398cb024e0b8651a933d36fcd2909a3.png

Nah, I don't think so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

For what I do, it really doesn't matter. I'm used to using imperial for linear measurement and weight. For example, I can visualize what 72 inches looks like and I have a pretty good idea what 5lbs feels like...metric doesn't have the same level of normalization to me. That being said, metric just makes more sense.  Besides, it's not like I couldn't trade my 35' tape measure for a metric one and just use that. Besides my old pickup I'm working on, all my stuff is metric.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Sierra_moto said:

For what I do, it really doesn't matter. I'm used to using imperial for linear measurement and weight. For example, I can visualize what 72 inches looks like and I have a pretty good idea what 5lbs feels like...metric doesn't have the same level of normalization to me. That being said, metric just makes more sense.  Besides, it's not like I couldn't trade my 35' tape measure for a metric one and just use that. Besides my old pickup I'm working on, all my stuff is metric.

That's because it's what you've grown up with. Everyone on this side of the world, bar england, is the same with metric.  For estimates it's not that different, a metre is just over a yard, and a 1/2 kg is just over a lb, 4" is near enough to 100mm, an inch is real close to 25mm. It wouldn't take long to get the hang of it.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

2 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

That's because it's what you've grown up with. Everyone on this side of the world, bar england, is the same with metric.  For estimates it's not that different, a metre is just over a yard, and a 1/2 kg is just over a lb, 4" is near enough to 100mm, an inch is real close to 25mm. It wouldn't take long to get the hang of it.

I heard that women in NZ have difficulty adapting to the metric system because you guys keep telling them that this 

|----------------------------------------| is 150mm.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 6

14 minutes ago, motovita said:

I heard that women in NZ have difficulty adapting to the metric system because you guys keep telling them that this 

|----------------------------------------| is 150mm.

There are some things where imperial still has it's place  laugh.gif.85b40676dd6a3611b9ed7284eaab2197.gif

• Like 3

I just want to know why a 10mm socket isn't called a 1 centimeter socket.  That way I could say, "Where the fnck is my 1 centimeter socket?"

Doc

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, DirtySnowHusq said:

Doesn't have the same ring.

But yet we still say things like " 2 miles of ditch for every mile of highway!"

I'm super tired of old guys asking for a teener. 

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I just want to know why a 10mm socket isn't called a 1 centimeter socket.  That way I could say, "Where the fnck is my 1 centimeter socket?"

Doc

Because cm is for chippies.

• Haha 1

The metric system is fine for those that were and are being raised on it. For now, those of us raised on the Imperial system will just have to convert when we need to.

• Like 3