Headlight protection from debris?

I'm looking for some kind of protection material for a 2021 TE300 front headlight plastic.  Stick on?

I've seen TE's with colored headlight plastic but dont know if its protective material or just colored plastic.

I had a DS bike with a glass headlight that cracked from flying rocks...  Expensive fix.

You could get some chicken wire or thin mesh metal or even plastic screen and fab up a guard depending on how big the rocks are vs effect of the head light output if you really need the light.

chicken-wire-plaster-mesh.jpg

thin-and-light-style-metal-mesh-screens-

Literally 100s of cheap options.

Edited by PhilthyX
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, steveatpa said:

I'm looking for some kind of protection material for a 2021 TE300 front headlight plastic.  Stick on?

I've seen TE's with colored headlight plastic but dont know if its protective material or just colored plastic.

I had a DS bike with a glass headlight that cracked from flying rocks...  Expensive fix.

Yeah happened to my DRZ, $100 dollar headlight lense! Have you checked out Procycle? I think they might have a clear protector. They did for my EXC atleast, worth a look.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I found this company and might give it a try.  lamin-x.com 

Still allows visual transparency but should give some cushioning...maybe.

Years ago for my dualsport bikes I'd get purpose-built, rimmed metal screens (some designed to clip on but I didn't use them that way) for off-road-use trucks/Jeeps, split some neoprene smaller fuel hose to pad between the screen and headlight at the screen's outer rim, drilled 4 zip-tie-sized holes at headlight housing corners and zip-tied the padded screen to the headlight housing.  Never had a headlight lens crack after that---but honestly never had one crack before that, and haven't had any crack on the 5+ un-screened dualsport bikes I've had since then.  Guess alot of it depends on the places you ride/group(s) you ride with?

Edited by BSAVictor
more detail
  • Like 2

You can get clear film like they use on cars for rock chip protection. 3M makes some good stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BSAVictor said:

Never had a headlight lens crack after that---but honestly never had one crack before that

You must like the way it looks then?

7 hours ago, Dmouse said:

You must like the way it looks then?

If you mean I "liked how a cracked headlight looks", I guess I should have written more clearly---I've never had a cracked headlight on a motorcycle, just was trying to protect against a cracked headlight on a motorcycle.

If you mean how the finished screened headlights that I had on my bikes looked at that time, yes they looked good to me, not cobby.

Edited by BSAVictor

3 minutes ago, BSAVictor said:

not cobby.

Never heard of this, is that a new, west coast term?

2 hours ago, Dmouse said:

Never heard of this, is that a new, west coast term?

Cobby---Actually a term that came to be en vogue in this context in America some 40+ years ago---meaning unrefined, crude---subject word was sometimes used in, e.g., motorcycle enthusiast magazines when evaluating customizations, mods, etc.  Contrast "cobby" here with "sano".

I would say that the etymology of the term "cobby" stems from a cob-ination of the New Zealand place name of Roto Rua, sewer cleaning service Roto Rooter, and the rural American anus-cleaning devices in common use up to about the mid 20th Century. I personally preferred Sears catalog pages.  Today if I was using an outhouse I'd pick most any rag that dares to call itself a newspaper for wiping.

Edited by BSAVictor
cleaning up
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 3

I use to cut a piece of plexiglass the shape of the headlight, then a few drops from a hot glue gun around the edges to secure to the headlight. 

Don't press tight, leave a gap between plexi and glass.

2 hours ago, BSAVictor said:

Cobby---Actually a term that came to be en vogue in this context in America some 40+ years ago---meaning unrefined, crude---subject word was sometimes used in, e.g., motorcycle enthusiast magazines when evaluating customizations, mods, etc.  Contrast "cobby" here with "sano".

I would say that the etymology of the term "cobby" stems from a cob-ination of the New Zealand place name of Roto Rua, sewer cleaning service Roto Rooter, and the rural American anus-cleaning devices in common use up to about the mid 20th Century. I personally preferred Sears catalog pages.  Today if I was using an outhouse I'd pick most any rag that dares to call itself a newspaper for wiping.

It’s a good word. Even though I’ve never heard it before, I knew exactly what you were saying. I assumed it came from “cobbled”, as in something was cobbled together. You make a good case for the beloved corn cob, though.😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolls7 said:

It’s a good word. Even though I’ve never heard it before, I knew exactly what you were saying. I assumed it came from “cobbled”, as in something was cobbled together. You make a good case for the beloved corn cob, though.😅

You know, your assumption about the "cobbled" derivation probably is more on the money!  I was partially a-practicifying on my story-tellin'.

Edited by BSAVictor
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here's an ebay ad for rectangular, screen/mesh-type headlight guards that can be made to stand off a bit from the headlight kinda like I adapted mine to do (if the chrome later rusted/pitted and you didn't like that, etch/clean  them and prime/paint them):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-STONE-GUARD-Headlight-Covers-6-X7-Rectangular-1-set-Car-Truck-Jeep/274105317107?hash=item3fd1f336f3:g:7rYAAOSwqIld2iad

Looks like there are a lot more of round screen mesh ones available than rectangular ones.  Somehow I'd be skeptical of film-type or panel-type guards---seems like they'd be prone to loosening, clouding, etc.?

Edited by BSAVictor