Isle of Man TT Cancelled for 2021 :(

We know, not dirt, but most dirt riders have a lot of respect for the Isle of Man TT and its racers. Sad news no doubt.

November 30, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – The Isle of Man Government today confirmed the cancellation of the 2021 TT Races. The next TT Races will now take place in 2022, from Saturday 28th May to Saturday 11th June.

image.png

Laurence Skelly, MHK, Minister, Department for Enterprise, Isle of Man Government, said:

‘We do not underestimate the disappointment that this decision will cause to many people. However, we are making an early and logical decision to provide certainty and clarity to race fans and everyone else involved in our event. The TT relies on thousands of volunteers and officials across a wide range of organisations and we could not move responsibly towards operating to that date and commit to welcoming tens of thousands of people to the Island in June, despite the progress towards a vaccination programme globally and on the Island.’

‘We evaluated all possible options including moving the TT to a date later in the year but there are complexities and risks, including scaling up of certain infrastructure and critical delivery elements of the TT, as well as existing resident and visitor travel in late August, which would cause further disruption to thousands of people.’

‘We remain hopeful that the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix can take place later in the year and we look forward to welcoming visitors to our Island again.’

Paul Phillips, TT Business Development Manager, Isle of Man Government Department for Enterprise added:

‘Everyone involved with the TT is of course disappointed that the event has been cancelled in 2021, but it’s a decision that has been made as early as possible so that everyone who is impacted can plan accordingly. I am sorry for all the fans, riders, teams and volunteers who will miss another year on the Island, but we as a team will be working hard to make sure that we come back with an even better event in 2022.’

He continued:

‘We are very grateful for the continued support and loyalty shown by all our partners, as well as the event’s fans worldwide, which is a testament to the passion that people have for the event.’

The Department will continue to work with its partners towards delivering the 2021 Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix, which are scheduled to run from Saturday 21st August to Friday 3rd September. A final decision on whether those events will take place will be made in Spring 2021.

In order to help answer as many questions as possible regarding the cancellation of the 2021 Isle of Man TT Races, a specific FAQ section has added to the official website and can be found here.

Source: IOM TT Races Official

• Helpful 4
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Well the lockdowns/Covid finally saved a life. 

Honestly that went through my head but i just didn't want to say it. Then I scroll down and read it anyways lol. But being a street bike guy, I hate thinking that. Still a bummer as that event is just completely amazing to me. I can't even imagine the guts those racers have.

Edited by ah665
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, ah665 said:

Honestly that went through my head but i just didn't want to say it. Then I scroll down and read it anyways lol. But being a street bike guy, I hate thinking that. Still a bummer as that event is just completely amazing to me. I can't even imagine the guts those racers have.

It's an amazing race and the fact it still goes on in the fashion it does is a testament to something, I'm not sure what though.  But yes those guys have huge balls.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

15 hours ago, Benhameen said:

It’s on my bucket list. Not that I could go this year anyway but it’s still a bummer. 

Local hero Jimmy Moore rode it in the mid oughts when he lived a couple blocks from me.(I tried not to bother him much) He qualified for the race on his last chance in 07 on an R1, and that dude is crazy crazy fast. 97 AMA 750 champ. Now he rides dirt bikes in Alaska I guess. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, ah665 said:

I always wanted to ride the course on my R6, at my own pace. Going maxed out is obviously so far above my skill level. But if I could run it how I normally ride, I think that would be the most fun you could ever have.

open roads the rest of the year.  just don't go the week before or after as there are plenty of nutters about going way fast.

• Helpful 1

16 hours ago, ThumperTalk said:

We know, not dirt, but most dirt riders have a lot of respect for the Isle of Man TT and its racers. Sad news no doubt.

November 30, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – The Isle of Man Government today confirmed the cancellation of the 2021 TT Races. The next TT Races will now take place in 2022, from Saturday 28th May to Saturday 11th June.

image.png

Laurence Skelly, MHK, Minister, Department for Enterprise, Isle of Man Government, said:

‘We do not underestimate the disappointment that this decision will cause to many people. However, we are making an early and logical decision to provide certainty and clarity to race fans and everyone else involved in our event. The TT relies on thousands of volunteers and officials across a wide range of organisations and we could not move responsibly towards operating to that date and commit to welcoming tens of thousands of people to the Island in June, despite the progress towards a vaccination programme globally and on the Island.’

‘We evaluated all possible options including moving the TT to a date later in the year but there are complexities and risks, including scaling up of certain infrastructure and critical delivery elements of the TT, as well as existing resident and visitor travel in late August, which would cause further disruption to thousands of people.’

‘We remain hopeful that the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix can take place later in the year and we look forward to welcoming visitors to our Island again.’

Paul Phillips, TT Business Development Manager, Isle of Man Government Department for Enterprise added:

‘Everyone involved with the TT is of course disappointed that the event has been cancelled in 2021, but it’s a decision that has been made as early as possible so that everyone who is impacted can plan accordingly. I am sorry for all the fans, riders, teams and volunteers who will miss another year on the Island, but we as a team will be working hard to make sure that we come back with an even better event in 2022.’

He continued:

‘We are very grateful for the continued support and loyalty shown by all our partners, as well as the event’s fans worldwide, which is a testament to the passion that people have for the event.’

The Department will continue to work with its partners towards delivering the 2021 Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix, which are scheduled to run from Saturday 21st August to Friday 3rd September. A final decision on whether those events will take place will be made in Spring 2021.

In order to help answer as many questions as possible regarding the cancellation of the 2021 Isle of Man TT Races, a specific FAQ section has added to the official website and can be found here.

Source: IOM TT Races Official

wonder how this will affect the other road course races like Knockhill or Irish road racing

Edited by kcposty

31 minutes ago, kcposty said:

open roads the rest of the year.  just don't go the week before or after as there are plenty of nutters about going way fast.

I was checking out the schedule, how is it touring around the island if you want to sight see during that week and watch the race a day or two? Not worth it or not too bad?

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

It's an amazing race and the fact it still goes on in the fashion it does is a testament to something, I'm not sure what though.  But yes those guys have huge balls.

Testament that somewhere in the world there is still a "land of the free and brave"  and it ain't Merica.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I was checking out the schedule, how is it touring around the island if you want to sight see during that week and watch the race a day or two? Not worth it or not too bad?

The Island gets pretty plugged up during race week and lodging everywhere is at a premium but it is certainly do-able.  Important logistic to include is the ferry ride to the island. While Douglas is the center of action Ramsey Peel or Castletown will serve well but during the race only have access to portions of the course.  Be ready for wet weather.

Riding in either England or Ireland is superb as well do not discount those options with a ferry ride for a race day or two.

image.png.de09289f1c343762c0c6bd950ba1a9b7.pngimage.png.cc664fc515b70587a813e6515594f91a.png

• Helpful 2

6 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

Rest assured, I’m going to spectate! I always wanted to race it when I was younger/dummer, but now I’m just old and watch!!!

video is dramatic, but sitting roadside behind a stone wall with a pint in hand is another level.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 2

33 minutes ago, daled said:

Testament that somewhere in the world there is still a "land of the free and brave"  and it ain't Merica.

its all about liability, they still see personal accountability as a thing.

Edited by kcposty
  • Helpful 1

13 minutes ago, kcposty said:

The Island gets pretty plugged up during race week and lodging everywhere is at a premium but it is certainly do-able.  Important logistic to include is the ferry ride to the island. While Douglas is the center of action Ramsey Peel or Castletown will serve well but during the race only have access to portions of the course.  Be ready for wet weather.

Riding in either England or Ireland is superb as well do not discount those options with a ferry ride for a race day or two.

image.png.de09289f1c343762c0c6bd950ba1a9b7.pngimage.png.cc664fc515b70587a813e6515594f91a.png

I had an Ireland trip planned this year that obviously got canceled, it was with my wife and another couple. I think I've got them bought into doing what you said, touring Ireland with two days on the Isle of Man to tour and watch some motorcycle racing. Thanks for the tips. 

• Like 3