Isle of Man TT Cancelled for 2021 :(

I did 9 Manx GPs and was third at the midway of the 1985 Newcomers race beating Carl Fogarty and James Whitham.  Then the bike packed up 5 miles from the end at the 32nd.  I pushed home for a finish....well pushed two uphill bits, you don't really think I'd really push a bike for 5 miles do you!  

If you want to visit you need to book the ferry with 364.5 days to go to your day of leaving.  thems is the rules.  If popping in for 2-3 days = no chance except oddly enough to do it in the middle.  The Monday and the Wednesday of racing.  go in after it has started, come off when it is still going.  Never plan one days racing = It'll rain.  Plan a days racing and the next rest day = after the rain = that's when you'll be watching it.  

Irish Road Racing is in real trouble but for a different reason; they can't get insurance!  also they can't charge an admission fee  as road racing is free and setting up to take money is all but impossible.  Irish RR is in a tight spot.  

I think after Covid a lot of peopel in all walks of life will be 'making a change'.  20-30 years of the annual TT visit and maybe a few will move on to other holidays so some spaces will come up but hardly anyone stays in a Hotel on Douglas Seafront now.  It is spread throughout the Island and they do this thing called 'homeshare' that would be my advice for anyone visiting.  Basically a lot of houses have Granny annex's etc and during TT week the people of the Island make your breakfast and put you up.  

Perhaps someone can find a photo of people on the inside of the corner just before the Gooseneck (a left) taking photos!  they are doing only about 100mph there but braking hard for the Gooseneck Corner.  Photographer and rider are less than a metre apart.  

regards
Taffy

ballaugh '89.jpg

1989.  It doesn't pay to jump Ballaugh Bridge as it snaps chains and the fuel tanks rupture with 24 litres crash landing.  That goes for anyone with a 'made' bike proddie bikes are OK.  

I broke down here in 1986.  Went in The Raven, bought a Pint, Landlord gave me 'the' free pint (its a custom) and I sat looking miserable.  Everyone left me alone so after an hour of being teetotal - this and the racing still going on I just shouted out; "look, I haven't got any money left on me is anyone going to be me a drink or what?".  Everyone stacked beers at the bar after that and wanted to know how I'd got on for the fortnight.  I had no team with me as I'd been let down by my 'mechanics' so it fell on another team sharing the workshop to find me on the course and collect me.  They found me necking a Bolton lass, (so they) loaded me up (I remember nothing) and took me back to the digs.  I slept for a record for me 13 hours.  I was knackered too....

Edited by Taffy
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Haha 2

You will not regret it. It is one of the most spectacular race meeting you will see, we normally go for two weeks to watch the evening practice and site see during the day, then race week. You must book well in advance for bed and board and of coarse the ferry. 

• Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Taffy said:

I did 9 Manx GPs and was third at the midway of the 1985 Newcomers race beating Carl Fogarty and James Whitham.  Then the bike packed up 5 miles from the end at the 32nd.  I pushed home for a finish....well pushed two uphill bits, you don't really think I'd really push a bike for 5 miles do you!  

If you want to visit you need to book the ferry with 364.5 days to go to your day of leaving.  thems is the rules.  If popping in for 2-3 days = no chance except oddly enough to do it in the middle.  The Monday and the Wednesday of racing.  go in after it has started, come off when it is still going.  Never plan one days racing = It'll rain.  Plan a days racing and the next rest day = after the rain = that's when you'll be watching it.  

Irish Road Racing is in real trouble but for a different reason; they can't get insurance!  also they can't charge an admission fee  as road racing is free and setting up to take money is all but impossible.  Irish RR is in a tight spot.  

I think after Covid a lot of peopel in all walks of life will be 'making a change'.  20-30 years of the annual TT visit and maybe a few will move on to other holidays so some spaces will come up but hardly anyone stays in a Hotel on Douglas Seafront now.  It is spread throughout the Island and they do this thing called 'homeshare' that would be my advice for anyone visiting.  Basically a lot of houses have Granny annex's etc and during TT week the people of the Island make your breakfast and put you up.  

Perhaps someone can find a photo of people on the inside of the corner just before the Gooseneck (a left) taking photos!  they are doing only about 100mph there but braking hard for the Gooseneck Corner.  Photographer and rider are less than a metre apart.  

regards
Taffy

ballaugh '89.jpg

1989.  It doesn't pay to jump Ballaugh Bridge as it snaps chains and the fuel tanks rupture with 24 litres crash landing.  That goes for anyone with a 'made' bike proddie bikes are OK.  

I broke down here in 1986.  Went in The Raven, bought a Pint, Landlord gave me 'the' free pint (its a custom) and I sat looking miserable.  Everyone left me alone so after an hour of being teetotal - this and the racing still going on I just shouted out; "look, I haven't got any money left on me is anyone going to be me a drink or what?".  Everyone stacked beers at the bar after that and wanted to know how I'd got on for the fortnight.  I had no team with me as I'd been let down by my 'mechanics' so it fell on another team sharing the workshop to find me on the course and collect me.  They found me necking a Bolton lass, (so they) loaded me up (I remember nothing) and took me back to the digs.  I slept for a record for me 13 hours.  I was knackered too....

I love watching the "Real Road Racing Series" that is sometimes on TV. I believe it is through towns in England and Ireland. Is that the stuff you are referring to? I always wondered how they are still able to put on events like that. You just don't see that here is the States. But it is so rad to watch. Again, I would love to do something like that but I just could never do that at full race pace. And it blows my mind watching those guys shred those streets at that pace.

I think Hillier is on a wide line here.  he could probably have cleaned their lenses while he was there....

Hillier-Tower-Bends-2016.jpg

James Hillier 2016 TT Races.  at the left before the Gooseneck

Edited by Taffy
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, MANIAC998 said:

The cancellation of the 2021 Isle of Mann isn’t so much as for the racers and team personnel, as it’s generally for the populace. The vast majority of them would not be in compliance with the 6’ mandate and/or mask requirements.

of course, the gooberment knows best and should protect the stupid voters who can't judge the danger for themselves.. ??

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

The cancellation of the 2021 Isle of Mann isn’t so much as for the racers and team personnel, as it’s generally for the populace. The vast majority of them would not be in compliance with the 6’ mandate and/or mask requirements.

Heaven forbid people aren’t in “compliance” 

We should just cancel life, it isn’t safe and eventually it kills you. That’s a 100 percent death rate.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

of course, the gooberment knows best and should protect the stupid voters who can't judge the danger for themselves.. ??

42 minutes ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Heaven forbid people aren’t in “compliance” 

We should just cancel life, it isn’t safe and eventually it kills you. That’s a 100 percent death rate.  

91884179_2841298495977855_7478073996945129472_n.jpg.7b35282ef273c2102b7fc438e4a4251e.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

I don't really understand this race.  It's not a MotoGP race, so who rides it?  What governing body specifies the classes and rules?  Do factories get involved to win?  Is it like LeMans where the prestige lures in big teams?  Is it more like Superbike where they are production based bikes?

It’s been going on since the 1920s I believe. It’s a tourist trophy race so anyone can enter, and they do.  I don’t believe any MotoGP guys enter the race, it’s incredibly dangerous and they have deaths regularly. 
it’s probably the most prestigious race you can enter besides f1.

watching the side cars Bikes go that fast is incredible.  

• Like 2