Isle of Man TT Cancelled for 2021 :(

Just now, KTMRider4Life said:

I had an Ireland trip planned this year that obviously got canceled, it was with my wife and another couple. I think I've got them bought into doing what you said, touring Ireland with two days on the Isle of Man to tour and watch some motorcycle racing. Thanks for the tips. 

Best advice I can give you is dress like its going to be 40 and raining.  Anytime of the year.

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, kcposty said:

its all about liability, they still see personal accountability as as thing.

you gunna get me started on a rant if yo arn't carefull.

If personal accountability isn't ones thing, then they be wrong. 

And liability is an insurance thing...  you do know that at one time in the USA, insurance was illegal, it was called "Racketering" (think Mafia)...   Now it's mandated... and laws in place to minimize insurance firms "payout" of your money, now restrict your options....

OOPS... I better stop now....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, daled said:

And liability is an insurance thing...  you do know that at one time in the USA, insurance was illegal, it was called "Racketering" (think Mafia)...   Now it's mandated... and laws in place to minimize insurance firms "payout" of your money, now restrict your options....

not arguing, just observing that you can't blame anyone else for your own intentional actions over there.  

• Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, daled said:

The Government doesn’t enjoying getting screwed over, so they studied the Mafia methods and learned how to do it even better, much to our detriment!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kcposty said:

not arguing, just observing that you can't blame anyone else for your own intentional actions over there.  

Agreed...

If you are standing on the side of a group B rally in the 80's, and a drive losses control and kills you (as you were trying to touch his car at full tilt). How do you lay any blame !

Damn... I wish I would have gone to an event prior to it's demise !!

3 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

The Government doesn’t enjoying getting screwed over, so they studied the Mafia methods and learned how to do it even better, much to our detriment!

Yes indeed....

There was a day when i would say that this is our fault because we voted them in...

Now im not so sure exactly what, who, or even how voting works (or doesn't)

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Meanwhile, back at the races.......😎

All is not lost. I really have enjoyed the IOMTT since I first saw it as a kid on ABCs "Wide World of Sports". I was amazed then, and am still amazed now. I've wanted to go for years, but the mob scene thing combined with other things has taken some of the desire out of it for me. I'm just not a crowd guy. I could handle it when I was younger, but now it is pretty close to a deal breaker. If I have to trip over people to enjoy something, I'm not enjoying it. Nt just mobs, but the clueless/"all-about-me" attitude so common these days tends to make it less appealing , at least for me. 

Whining notwithstanding, I'll say that this just finished MotoGP season has been one of the best and perhaps the scariest in many years. (The scary part being Morbidelli's "ghost rider" bike almost center-punching Valentino Rossi at close to 200 MPH.) 

I'm sure there was lost revenue at the tracks and at Dorna, but the racing was very good, if not the best yet. Suzuki is not only back in MotoGP, but took the top spot. KTM is now a serious force, and Dovitsioso is oddly unemployed. 

If the IOMTT group does some planning, perhaps they can do the same as Dorna. 

Meanwhile, we can also follow Wayne Rainey's Moto-America races.  For those not in the know, it is to find and prepare American riders to compete at MotoGP. Big gap there to fill.

And one last unrelated topic: I just received the last print Cycle World magazine, so be aware and grab a copy. It really is a very good send-off. Some new group has acquired CW and Motorcyclist (already gone) from Bonnier, who seemed determined to kill all of their print magazines. Hopefully the new group will do a fine job on-line. To compensate for the loss of the two mentioned above, I subscribed to Roadracing World, a very good magazine not available in any newsstand locally. If you haven't put the pieces together yet, I enjoy jet about all of motorcycling. Not much of a cruiser or Gold Wing guy and the big meets don't appeal, but everything else hold some interest. I started riding when the super-specialized bikes we now have didn't exist. You could take the lights off of your AT1 and at least finish at the local MX track. YZs didn't exist yet and the only threats were the few Pentons and even fewer CZs and Maicos. The Spanish bikes seldom ran long enough to be a threat. 

New racing season was announced on NBC sports starting in January. If you get that channel, they have most of it, and MAVTV has the rest.  

• Helpful 2

17 minutes ago, Yamaguy55 said:

Meanwhile, back at the races.......😎

All is not lost. I really have enjoyed the IOMTT since I first saw it as a kid on ABCs "Wide World of Sports". I was amazed then, and am still amazed now. I've wanted to go for years, but the mob scene thing combined with other things has taken some of the desire out of it for me. I'm just not a crowd guy. I could handle it when I was younger, but now it is pretty close to a deal breaker. If I have to trip over people to enjoy something, I'm not enjoying it. Nt just mobs, but the clueless/"all-about-me" attitude so common these days tends to make it less appealing , at least for me. 

Whining notwithstanding, I'll say that this just finished MotoGP season has been one of the best and perhaps the scariest in many years. (The scary part being Morbidelli's "ghost rider" bike almost center-punching Valentino Rossi at close to 200 MPH.) 

I'm sure there was lost revenue at the tracks and at Dorna, but the racing was very good, if not the best yet. Suzuki is not only back in MotoGP, but took the top spot. KTM is now a serious force, and Dovitsioso is oddly unemployed. 

If the IOMTT group does some planning, perhaps they can do the same as Dorna. 

Meanwhile, we can also follow Wayne Rainey's Moto-America races.  For those not in the know, it is to find and prepare American riders to compete at MotoGP. Big gap there to fill.

And one last unrelated topic: I just received the last print Cycle World magazine, so be aware and grab a copy. It really is a very good send-off. Some new group has acquired CW and Motorcyclist (already gone) from Bonnier, who seemed determined to kill all of their print magazines. Hopefully the new group will do a fine job on-line. To compensate for the loss of the two mentioned above, I subscribed to Roadracing World, a very good magazine not available in any newsstand locally. If you haven't put the pieces together yet, I enjoy jet about all of motorcycling. Not much of a cruiser or Gold Wing guy and the big meets don't appeal, but everything else hold some interest. I started riding when the super-specialized bikes we now have didn't exist. You could take the lights off of your AT1 and at least finish at the local MX track. YZs didn't exist yet and the only threats were the few Pentons and even fewer CZs and Maicos. The Spanish bikes seldom ran long enough to be a threat. 

New racing season was announced on NBC sports starting in January. If you get that channel, they have most of it, and MAVTV has the rest.  

Wow I had not seen this. 

11 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Wow I had not seen this. 

Pretty intense. Rossi was very spooked (as well he should have been) and spent quite a bit regaining his composure. It happened so quick there was no way to get ahead of it. 

I would have been shaking the poop out of my leather's legs for three days after that. Rossi's last season with the premier team, he and Quartaro swap places for next year. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

I'll never understand how they do it, at my age I pull a muscle just picking my bike up when I tip over.

I'd say everyone that can ride at that level is on that track in most races. It makes for some impressive viewing. I forget when I got re-interested in roadracing, maybe 2004-5, something like that. I've been watching when I can ever since. I enjoy most motorcycle racing. I find flat track less interesting than I did years ago, but I can't say I understand why.

I was fortunate enough to have done a track day wayyyy back in the early 70s when the Yamaha shop I worked at took the employees out for a treat: TD and TR two stroke race bikes, on the track no less. No mufflers on the open expansion chambers, and most of us had nowhere near the skill to take advantage of the 500 RPM wide powerband. But it sure was fun. Two sided double-leading-shoe front drum brakes. Use the brake heavily enough and the drum would heat up, swell, and make the spokes loose. Even more fun! I remember the 350 won Daytona against much bigger bikes in 69 or 70. Impressive. Really crude but really light. 

Now I'm lucky not to do myself in kicking over the grandkid's PW80. 😇  After Peter Eagan's story of a partial stroke kickstarting one of his bikes a few years back, I've been paying more attention, as he's only a few years older than me. I suppose that's a better way to go than choking on a pretzel, but still....

I've been toying with getting another pure dirt machine, but am admittedly addicted to the happy button. Key on, button pushed, engine running. What's not to love?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Yamaguy55 said:

I'd say everyone that can ride at that level is on that track in most races. It makes for some impressive viewing. I forget when I got re-interested in roadracing, maybe 2004-5, something like that. I've been watching when I can ever since. I enjoy most motorcycle racing. I find flat track less interesting than I did years ago, but I can't say I understand why.

I was fortunate enough to have done a track day wayyyy back in the early 70s when the Yamaha shop I worked at took the employees out for a treat: TD and TR two stroke race bikes, on the track no less. No mufflers on the open expansion chambers, and most of us had nowhere near the skill to take advantage of the 500 RPM wide powerband. But it sure was fun. Two sided double-leading-shoe front drum brakes. Use the brake heavily enough and the drum would heat up, swell, and make the spokes loose. Even more fun! I remember the 350 won Daytona against much bigger bikes in 69 or 70. Impressive. Really crude but really light. 

Now I'm lucky not to do myself in kicking over the grandkid's PW80. 😇  After Peter Eagan's story of a partial stroke kickstarting one of his bikes a few years back, I've been paying more attention, as he's only a few years older than me. I suppose that's a better way to go than choking on a pretzel, but still....

I've been toying with getting another pure dirt machine, but am admittedly addicted to the happy button. Key on, button pushed, engine running. What's not to love?

I hadn't heard that about Egan.

40 minutes ago, Yamaguy55 said:

I had a blast on a road race course a few years back, but the level of concentration it took me was exhausting.  Having not ever done it before, being surrounded by people as I'm diving in to corners at speeds I've never experienced before was nerve racking.

• Like 2

The most dangerous race in the world and they are canceling it for a freaking weak flu. Unreal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Around 1:20--1:30 in, some Jersey guys added the title "Read Her Lips".

One of my favorites from IoM...

• Like 2

I'm looking to retire next year.  Have spent the last two decades flying all over, and want to never see the inside of an airplane again.

That said, I will be flying to see this race.  Hoping to tie it in with about a year of touring England, Whales, Ireland and the European continent via motorcycle, following the MX-GPs (and a few other road races/car races).

IOMTT is amazing.  First ran across it on YouTube, and got hooked.  Then I found out that there is a whole series of real "road races".  Pretty awesome!

Can't wait to go! :cheers:

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, ThumperTalk said:

We know, not dirt, but most dirt riders have a lot of respect for the Isle of Man TT and its racers. Sad news no doubt.

November 30, 2020 – (Motor Sports NewsWire) – The Isle of Man Government today confirmed the cancellation of the 2021 TT Races. The next TT Races will now take place in 2022, from Saturday 28th May to Saturday 11th June.

image.png

Laurence Skelly, MHK, Minister, Department for Enterprise, Isle of Man Government, said:

‘We do not underestimate the disappointment that this decision will cause to many people. However, we are making an early and logical decision to provide certainty and clarity to race fans and everyone else involved in our event. The TT relies on thousands of volunteers and officials across a wide range of organisations and we could not move responsibly towards operating to that date and commit to welcoming tens of thousands of people to the Island in June, despite the progress towards a vaccination programme globally and on the Island.’

‘We evaluated all possible options including moving the TT to a date later in the year but there are complexities and risks, including scaling up of certain infrastructure and critical delivery elements of the TT, as well as existing resident and visitor travel in late August, which would cause further disruption to thousands of people.’

‘We remain hopeful that the Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix can take place later in the year and we look forward to welcoming visitors to our Island again.’

Paul Phillips, TT Business Development Manager, Isle of Man Government Department for Enterprise added:

‘Everyone involved with the TT is of course disappointed that the event has been cancelled in 2021, but it’s a decision that has been made as early as possible so that everyone who is impacted can plan accordingly. I am sorry for all the fans, riders, teams and volunteers who will miss another year on the Island, but we as a team will be working hard to make sure that we come back with an even better event in 2022.’

He continued:

‘We are very grateful for the continued support and loyalty shown by all our partners, as well as the event’s fans worldwide, which is a testament to the passion that people have for the event.’

The Department will continue to work with its partners towards delivering the 2021 Classic TT and Manx Grand Prix, which are scheduled to run from Saturday 21st August to Friday 3rd September. A final decision on whether those events will take place will be made in Spring 2021.

In order to help answer as many questions as possible regarding the cancellation of the 2021 Isle of Man TT Races, a specific FAQ section has added to the official website and can be found here.

Source: IOM TT Races Official

I always scoff when a motorcycle race is cancelled due to fear of a cold virus. 

30 minutes ago, Beta300REcat said:

I always scoff when a motorcycle race is cancelled due to fear of a cold virus. 

It's like worrying about RoHS when developing a missile.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

I hadn't heard that about Egan.

A few years back, he was alone in his addiction parlor ( garage with motorcycles) and was kick starting one of his less than cooperative bikes when after he hit the bottom, one whole side went dead. He figured he was in trouble and since he was alone, called for help. He did have a stroke and was asked to give up kickstarters. Wise advice considering.

Some of my younger previous colleagues have had strokes, heart attacks, etc. Several are now gone. My dad outlived his younger associates and I now see his point, along with Peter’s. 

Less a morbid discussion but more of a cautionary tale. I had a long work life doing very hazardous things and had no hospital visits. I hope to maintain that record. 

To fully enjoy riding into older age, the wise path is to not set yourself up for grief. I find that I’m a very durable old goat. But not made of impervium. 

Edited by Yamaguy55
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1