Isle of Man TT Cancelled for 2021 :(

On 12/2/2020 at 1:23 PM, Yamaguy55 said:

Meanwhile, back at the races.......😎

All is not lost. I really have enjoyed the IOMTT since I first saw it as a kid on ABCs "Wide World of Sports". I was amazed then, and am still amazed now. I've wanted to go for years, but the mob scene thing combined with other things has taken some of the desire out of it for me. I'm just not a crowd guy. I could handle it when I was younger, but now it is pretty close to a deal breaker. If I have to trip over people to enjoy something, I'm not enjoying it. Nt just mobs, but the clueless/"all-about-me" attitude so common these days tends to make it less appealing , at least for me. 

Whining notwithstanding, I'll say that this just finished MotoGP season has been one of the best and perhaps the scariest in many years. (The scary part being Morbidelli's "ghost rider" bike almost center-punching Valentino Rossi at close to 200 MPH.) 

I'm sure there was lost revenue at the tracks and at Dorna, but the racing was very good, if not the best yet. Suzuki is not only back in MotoGP, but took the top spot. KTM is now a serious force, and Dovitsioso is oddly unemployed. 

If the IOMTT group does some planning, perhaps they can do the same as Dorna. 

Meanwhile, we can also follow Wayne Rainey's Moto-America races.  For those not in the know, it is to find and prepare American riders to compete at MotoGP. Big gap there to fill.

And one last unrelated topic: I just received the last print Cycle World magazine, so be aware and grab a copy. It really is a very good send-off. Some new group has acquired CW and Motorcyclist (already gone) from Bonnier, who seemed determined to kill all of their print magazines. Hopefully the new group will do a fine job on-line. To compensate for the loss of the two mentioned above, I subscribed to Roadracing World, a very good magazine not available in any newsstand locally. If you haven't put the pieces together yet, I enjoy jet about all of motorcycling. Not much of a cruiser or Gold Wing guy and the big meets don't appeal, but everything else hold some interest. I started riding when the super-specialized bikes we now have didn't exist. You could take the lights off of your AT1 and at least finish at the local MX track. YZs didn't exist yet and the only threats were the few Pentons and even fewer CZs and Maicos. The Spanish bikes seldom ran long enough to be a threat. 

New racing season was announced on NBC sports starting in January. If you get that channel, they have most of it, and MAVTV has the rest.  

Just don't go to Douglas and the crowds aren't too bad.   Irish road racing is another option.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PhilthyX said:

Ya its been on my bucket list for years and say part of a 2 or 3 or longer months trip to Europe.

Get to the EU and rent street bike.

I'd look into maybe volunteering for the TT or dirt bike options to explore the island and watching the races and having that sorted before I got there.

https://www.iomttraces.com/racing/marshal/join-the-marshals

Then I'm in Europe so the options after or before are limitless 🙂

They made this choice for a reason and IF I win the lottery I'm be there at some point in the future if I'm still alive and to at least watch

Make sure you get to The Isles of Sky.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

I still regularly surf the ads for an original 03-05 R6 fuelly. Not many of those survived, most of them have second gear issues. I think they're one of the best looking Japanese bikes ever, same colorway as your anniversary bike. 

Screenshot_20201206-104624_Google.jpg

You could get that body style after 05. 06-09 the r6s was the previous gen body style and chassis and a more relaxed riding position for those who didn't like the new more aggressive r6 for that year. It was also 3-4k cheaper than a same year r6. Which is a pretty big savings.

Screenshot_20201206-202515_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Zinergy

51 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

You could get that body style after 05. 06-09 the r6s was the previous gen body style and chassis and a more relaxed riding position for those who didn't like the new more aggressive r6 for that year. It was also 3-4k cheaper than a same year r6. Which is a pretty big savings.

Screenshot_20201206-202515_Chrome.jpg

Yep. Didn't seem like many sold but still an option and widens the window for people looking for that 2nd-gen.

10 hours ago, ah665 said:

Yep. Didn't seem like many sold but still an option and widens the window for people looking for that 2nd-gen.

One of my riding buddies bought an 08 brand new. I think it was under 7k out the door.

They were fun bikes but like my f4i at the time no where near as aggressive as the r bikes. When I bought my first f4i one of my best friends had a 99 r6, first year. When I rode his bike vs my f4i I could tell within 5 seconds that the r6 was a far better track bike with far more aggressive handling. And the f4i was hondas top 600cc sport bike until they came out with the rr in 03. Took em 4 years to put anything out there that directly competed with the r6.

48 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

One of my riding buddies bought an 08 brand new. I think it was under 7k out the door.

They were fun bikes but like my f4i at the time no where near as aggressive as the r bikes. When I bought my first f4i one of my best friends had a 99 r6, first year. When I rode his bike vs my f4i I could tell within 5 seconds that the r6 was a far better track bike with far more aggressive handling. And the f4i was hondas top 600cc sport bike until they came out with the rr in 03. Took em 4 years to put anything out there that directly competed with the r6.

My friend still has his 02 F4i. Great bike. I've ridden it a few times. But they don't even feel like a race bike, compared to any of the R6s (especially the 3rd gen.) That being said, the F4i is a much easier street bike to live with. Its torquey and still handles well, with relaxed ergos. 

• Like 2

A good race bike does not make a great street bike!

And a good street bike does not make a great race bike!! It’s funny how that works!!!

Edited by MANIAC998
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ah665 said:

My friend still has his 02 F4i. Great bike. I've ridden it a few times. But they don't even feel like a race bike, compared to any of the R6s (especially the 3rd gen.) That being said, the F4i is a much easier street bike to live with. Its torquey and still handles well, with relaxed ergos. 

Agreed but the f4i was hondas sportiest 600 until 03. So the f4i was the r6s competition for a few years. Even though they felt quite different.

Edited by Zinergy

25 minutes ago, Zinergy said:

Agreed but the f4i was hondas sportiest 600 until 03. So the f4i was the r6s competition for a few years. Even though they felt quite different.

Ya I know. I was just making a point that even the Gen 1 R6 felt more aggressive (handling and ergos) than the F4i. And the 06+ R6 is just about as extreme as it gets (maybe too much.) I think they actually dialed it down a bit on the 08 updates because the 06-07 are like not forgiving whatsoever. F4i still a legendary bike. So comfortable and the motor is very zippy and fun. Never got to ride any of the 03+ RRs though. I'm sure they are nice.

8 minutes ago, ah665 said:

Ya I know. I was just making a point that even the Gen 1 R6 felt more aggressive (handling and ergos) than the F4i. And the 06+ R6 is just about as extreme as it gets (maybe too much.) I think they actually dialed it down a bit on the 08 updates because the 06-07 are like not forgiving whatsoever. F4i still a legendary bike. So comfortable and the motor is very zippy and fun. Never got to ride any of the 03+ RRs though. I'm sure they are nice.

Gen 1 R6 was a game changer. Changed sport bikes completely. They were all a bit softer before that bike came out. I think the GSXRs were probably the most racey pre-99 r6. Just surprised Honda saw what the 99 R6 was and when they came out with new 600s in 01(the f4i) they stuck with a more street friendly 600 for their flagship 600. Took them 2 more years to realize people buying full fairing sportbikes… want more sport!

I had 2 f4is and then a RR. but by the time I bought the RR I was done pushing my limits on street bikes and end up missing the f4i ergos lol. Being 6'3" I make most sport bikes look too small for me anyway.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Helpful 1