XR200 2002 XR200r Wont Rev Past 1/4 Throttle

Hi, I posted this in the fuel and jetting page, but I thought I'd try this page too to see if there might be some bike specific insight that might help with my issue. 

My '02 XR200 ran great on Friday, then Saturday I wouldn't rev out past about 1/4-1/3 throttle. It just starts to sputter and bog. If I keep the throttle on without backing it off, it will die. Just overnight this change happened. I've tried almost everything since then. I cleaned the carb and jets, checked the needle clip position, I replaced the air filter, I even tried it without the air filter, I checked for carbon build up in the exhaust, I checked all of the fuel lines for blockage or kinks, checked the fuel cap breather, I put new gas in it, then I cleaned the carb two more times. It was suggested to me to check the valves for the proper clearance, which I will do, but I don't believe this is a symptom of that. I ordered a carb kit just to see if maybe a jet is just old or something, but that hasn't come in yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Replace your spark plug?

How are you cleaning your carburetor?

Did you perform any service prior to it beginning to run poorly?

!!!!!!!!! Have you installed an aftermarket CDI box (BBR Revbox)?

Edited by motrock93b

6 hours ago, motrock93b said:

Replace your spark plug?

How are you cleaning your carburetor?

Did you perform any service prior to it beginning to run poorly?

!!!!!!!!! Have you installed an aftermarket CDI box (BBR Revbox)?

I forgot to note that I did also change the spark plug. I cleaned the carb with solvent and carb cleaner. I have a little tiny hand drill with bits as small as a strand of hair that I use for my carbs to poke through the holes in the jets to make sure everything is clear. I did not do anything to it maintenance wise before it went wonky. It was very odd, since it was running great Friday, then did this on Saturday. I totally figured it was just a clogged jet. I was in the desert, and it was very dry. The CDI box is stock.

4 hours ago, chadzu said:

Sound like classic carb issues to me.

Have you ever set the cam chain tensioner?

I did try to adjust that, but I think I need to get the 3x5mm bolt since I saw that those tend to get stuck inside. But I don't hear any chain rattling, or odd noises from the motor.

I took the carb off again, checked the needle position, and it was in the 5th. Now, it was working fine for years before this, so I opted to put it back in  the 4th to split the difference. I adjusted the float per the spec in the manual while it was out. None of this made a difference. I'm going to go to the hardware store and pick up a 3x5 screw to see if I can break the timing adjustment lose and let that do its thing. I'm waiting on feeler gauges to come in so I can check the valve clearances as well. The carb rebuild kit is also on its way. I'll throw that in when it shows up also. One new thing I noticed, is even after letting it warm up after riding it up and down the street a few times (at low RPMs) it will die as soon as I turn the choke all the way off. So its only running with the choke on all the way or at the halfway notch. 

That sounds like a clogged pilot jet, or associated circuits. Did you look through each jet to ensure they are clear and round when viewing when backlit?

6 hours ago, Hicks86 said:

I forgot to note that I did also change the spark plug. I cleaned the carb with solvent and carb cleaner. I have a little tiny hand drill with bits as small as a strand of hair that I use for my carbs to poke through the holes in the jets to make sure everything is clear. I did not do anything to it maintenance wise before it went wonky. It was very odd, since it was running great Friday, then did this on Saturday. I totally figured it was just a clogged jet. I was in the desert, and it was very dry. The CDI box is stock.

I did try to adjust that, but I think I need to get the 3x5mm bolt since I saw that those tend to get stuck inside. But I don't hear any chain rattling, or odd noises from the motor.

Probably not the reason it isn't running well, but did you check the spark plug gap?

I've removed and cleaned out the carb and jets 4 times now. I can see light through all the holes and they are very clear. I'm going to replace them anyway, can't hurt. I have a brand new spark plug in there per the spec, but I'll check the gap for good measure. I went to the hardware store and they didn't have a 3mm x 0.50 bolt, so I ordered on on amazon. I'll have to wait until Sunday to give that a go. I feel like I'm doing something really stupid, or overlooking something that's obvious. I can't get over that it changed  from running perfectly to this overnight. Bums me out. I really love this bike. Its my wife's bike, but I think I use it more than her. Haha! I appreciate all the ideas though, thank you for that.

Sounds like it's either too rich, or too lean.  If the gas is over a couple months old it could easily be bad.  Have you check led for vacuum leaks?  Spray some carb cleaner around the joints and see if the rpm changes.  Maybe try an inline spark tester and see if spark is dropping out when revved?  CDI boxes do fail, and they tend to go bad quick.

11 hours ago, Hicks86 said:

I've removed and cleaned out the carb and jets 4 times now. I can see light through all the holes and they are very clear. I'm going to replace them anyway, can't hurt. I have a brand new spark plug in there per the spec, but I'll check the gap for good measure. I went to the hardware store and they didn't have a 3mm x 0.50 bolt, so I ordered on on amazon. I'll have to wait until Sunday to give that a go. I feel like I'm doing something really stupid, or overlooking something that's obvious. I can't get over that it changed  from running perfectly to this overnight. Bums me out. I really love this bike. Its my wife's bike, but I think I use it more than her. Haha! I appreciate all the ideas though, thank you for that.

There is no reason to be looking for a 3mm bolt.  Put the engine at TDC, take out the small bolt in the center of the adjuster, loosen the larger bolt a bit, put a screwdriver in the center and give is a little pop to disengage the locking wedges, you will know when they are free because you will feel the spring tension with the screwdriver, tighten the adjuster back down, replace the center bolt, replace the rubber cover, done.

2 hours ago, chadzu said:

There is no reason to be looking for a 3mm bolt.  Put the engine at TDC, take out the small bolt in the center of the adjuster, loosen the larger bolt a bit, put a screwdriver in the center and give is a little pop to disengage the locking wedges, you will know when they are free because you will feel the spring tension with the screwdriver, tighten the adjuster back down, replace the center bolt, replace the rubber cover, done.

Okay, I'll try that. No 3mm bolts long enough at the hardware store anyway. Thanks!

3 hours ago, ratranger said:

Sounds like it's either too rich, or too lean.  If the gas is over a couple months old it could easily be bad.  Have you check led for vacuum leaks?  Spray some carb cleaner around the joints and see if the rpm changes.  Maybe try an inline spark tester and see if spark is dropping out when revved?  CDI boxes do fail, and they tend to go bad quick.

I put new gas in it to see if that was the problem. I'll try checking the vacuum tubes. Maybe it is the CDI. I check into that I suppose.

Okay, I feel foolish. I was able to adjust the timing with a screw driver, which is good, but it did not fix the problem. I also checked the valve gaps, at they were good. My carb rebuild kit came in last night and I started to put it together this morning, and I noticed that the main jet in the kit was completely different than the main jet in the carb. Physically different. So after some irritation and confusion, I looked at a diagram for the carb and I saw that the main jet that came in the kit, threads into what I thought was the main jet that was already in the carb. Long story short, the bike did not have a main jet in it! I put it in, fired her up, and its good to go. I'm just so confused on how it ever ran like this! I

It still will not run with the choke off, even after its warmed up, so I think I'll move the needle position around to see if I can get that going correctly. I had moved it from the 5th position to the 4th to split the difference from the norm and what I had. I'll try it on the 3rd. 

I appreciate all the advice I've received on here. I do feel awfully foolish for not realizing this sooner. 

It's the emulsion tube.  Don't worry about it, everyone learns things that seem obvious after the fact.   Atleast it was a cheap lesson.

Yep, now I know at least. I can't for the life of me get it to run with the choke all the way off. Seems to run best with the needle in the 4th position. It stutters on the top end if the clip is on either side of that. I've messed with the idle screw and the air screw and nothing seems to get it to run with the choke off. Even if I am going at a good speed down the street, if I turn the choke all the way off it dies. I'ma confused. Also, I see that I'm also missing the plastic flange piece that sits on the main jet. Could this be affecting anything? 

Edited by Hicks86
Added wording.

No the plastic piece doesn't matter.  Sounds lean if it wants the choke, is the new pilot jet the same size as you took out?  Do you know what main jet it had before?  Some of those kits don't match up very well.  I got one for a blaster and everything was wrong except the gaskets.  Jets were different sizes/wrong type, float needle seat was way too big, etc. 

The piolet jet is a 38, and the main is a 110. The old piolet was a 45, and it was miraculously running without a main jet. I'm still scratching my head about that. I turned the air screw 1 1/8 out to start and opened it up in increments from there. I've gotten it to idle with the choke off, but it will die as soon as I put it in gear. I'll mess with it some more tomorrow, but I'm over it for tonight.

Messed with it some more, but I just can't get it to run without the choke. I've let it warm up, ran it up and down the street to put some load on it, and then messed with the air screw and the idle screw. Nothing I do will let it run with the choke off. I've taken the carb off a few more times to clean out the the jets just to make sure, but still nada. I'm baffled. 

Maybe throw the 45 pilot jet back in, if it was idling fine before it might just want more fuel.  Plus the pilot circuit will add some fuel even once you transition to the needle and main jet.  With the carb being off multiple times check for vacuum leaks. 

• Like 1