The GOAT Hated Racing

I get it but it makes me respect the guy even more now

I never got the impression that he didn't like racing. Poto made it obvious

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

It’s a job. Most recreational pilots love to go flying. I couldn’t care less about going flying and arrange my schedule to fly as little as possible, because it’s a job. 

• Like 8
  • Helpful 4

1 hour ago, 69fastback said:

It’s a job. Most recreational pilots love to go flying. I couldn’t care less about going flying and arrange my schedule to fly as little as possible, because it’s a job. 

Ha, wait till you get my age....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MotorBoatin said:

Ryan V was burned out at a young age because it was a year around job since he was on 80s. It was all business in their camp.

36 minutes ago, 7thirtyseven said:

Ha, wait till you get my age....

Meh. 20 years of it has been enough. Still beats working though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MotorBoatin said:

Yeah well he said he liked winning, and he did a hell of a lot of that, that's why he looked happy, he was happy. Ryan has stated he was just super focused so I think that made him look more unhappy than he was. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 69fastback said:

pops told me something that stuck....."don't take a good hobby and turn it into a job"

Hobbies are harder to come by

• Like 12
  • Helpful 2

I can relate...

It almost "ruined" motorcycling for me. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

pops told me something that stuck....."don't take a good hobby and turn it into a job"

Hobbies are harder to come by

Sound advice! Same reason I never became a mechanic and Jay Leno not taking the Topgear spot a few years back - don't make your passion your career. 

• Like 3

When I raced with the intent of winning, it was a lot of work.  It meant practicing when I was sore and had injuries.  It meant staying up late to get that tire changed.  I had two kids racing as well, so it was constant work work work.  And I was always pushing to get better (god knows there was room for improvement) to the point where I was just mentally beating myself up over every thing I didn't do perfect.  It made me stronger, it made me better, but I wasn't enjoying the racing as much as the winning and camaraderie.  Now that I don't race I miss challenging myself to do better at something that isn't easy, isn't perfectly safe, and makes me tougher.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

When I raced with the intent of winning, it was a lot of work.  It meant practicing when I was sore and had injuries.  It meant staying up late to get that tire changed.  I had two kids racing as well, so it was constant work work work.  And I was always pushing to get better (god knows there was room for improvement) to the point where I was just mentally beating myself up over every thing I didn't do perfect.  It made me stronger, it made me better, but I wasn't enjoying the racing as much as the winning and camaraderie.  Now that I don't race I miss challenging myself to do better at something that isn't easy, isn't perfectly safe, and makes me tougher.

You mean to tell me my lackadaisical approach is the proper way towards fulfillment/enjoyment??

SWEET!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

2 hours ago, 69fastback said:

You ought to be the business passenger, flying with the crowds of sick/selfish people, Fat arses who fill two seats, lack of respect and courtesy, screaming babies, burnt out flight attendants, sleepless nights in airports because of flight cancellations, and overbooked hotels.  I rented a min-van once, just to get some sleep, so I wouldn't be a zombie when I got to the customer the next day.

Yeah, flying for a job pretty much sucks no matter what seat you fill.

As for RC & RV, I get it. They didn't really get the choice.  They were too young to understand the consequences.   I'm really glad they got out healthy, and do so much to give back to our sport.  Hoping Dungey finds his place.  He's another great ambassador. :cheers:

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

9 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

You mean to tell me my lackadaisical approach is the proper way towards fulfillment/enjoyment??

SWEET!!!!

If ya set the Bar low its easier to reach 🤣

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

SWEET!!!!

This is actually true. I've been preaching it for years. You want to really enjoy stuff, do it totally half assed. 

• Like 4