The GOAT Hated Racing

1 minute ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

This is actually true. I've been preaching it for years. You want to really enjoy stuff, do it totally half assed. 

hence my screen name 🙂

7th grade teacher noticed and marked me

• Haha 3

51 minutes ago, mxaniac said:

When I raced with the intent of winning, it was a lot of work.  It meant practicing when I was sore and had injuries.  It meant staying up late to get that tire changed.  I had two kids racing as well, so it was constant work work work.  And I was always pushing to get better (god knows there was room for improvement) to the point where I was just mentally beating myself up over every thing I didn't do perfect.  It made me stronger, it made me better, but I wasn't enjoying the racing as much as the winning and camaraderie.  Now that I don't race I miss challenging myself to do better at something that isn't easy, isn't perfectly safe, and makes me tougher.

It was sponsored on a minor level ,bike at cost and £500 parts budget , it was less fun after that ,it lasted 3 years and I didn't miss it 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

anybody gotta link to the full interview?

The guy doesn't release whole interview. He's all about the click bait 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

I got to point were I loved to race and hated everything in between. However that was back when the jumps were not like they are today. Im sure I would have hated racing as well if we were on todays jumps.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 minutes ago, mog said:

It was sponsored on a minor level ,bike at cost and £500 parts budget , it was less fun after that ,it lasted 3 years and I didn't miss it 

I had a full ride for two seasons of club level road racing. That was awesome, show up and turn the throttle. I did a little work on the bike in the shop, repairing fairings with glass epoxy and swapping broken controls and tires. But I had a racers corner in a professional motorcycle dealer shop to do it in, with all the lifts and tire machines etc. I felt very little pressure other than not to crash a lot, which I didn't. It helped that I was immediately very competitive in the classes I raced. Roadracing 12 lap sprints is a lot less about fitness and a lot more about fine motor skills and balls. I doubt I could have ever raced dirt competitively, it's hard. 

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Just now, MotorBoatin said:

The guy doesn't release whole interview. He's all about the click bait 

II watched those, but I'd not seen his stuff and clicking on partials makes me not want to click anymore. Free country 🙂

I honestly think MX is by far the toughest sport on the planet.  By far

easy to grow to hate it

Edited by lowmass
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, sheath said:

You ought to be the business passenger, flying with the crowds of sick/selfish people, Fat arses who fill two seats, lack of respect and courtesy, screaming babies, burnt out flight attendants, sleepless nights in airports because of flight cancellations, and overbooked hotels.  I rented a min-van once, just to get some sleep, so I wouldn't be a zombie when I got to the customer the next day.

Yeah, flying for a job pretty much sucks no matter what seat you fill.

As for RC & RV, I get it. They didn't really get the choice.  They were too young to understand the consequences.   I'm really glad they got out healthy, and do so much to give back to our sport.  Hoping Dungey finds his place.  He's another great ambassador. :cheers:

I didn’t say my job sucked. I said I don’t do it for fun, and believe me, most pilots spend as much time in the back as we do the front. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

I had a full ride for two seasons of club level road racing. That was awesome, show up and turn the throttle. I did a little work on the bike in the shop, repairing fairings with glass epoxy and swapping broken controls and tires. But I had a racers corner in a professional motorcycle dealer shop to do it in, with all the lifts and tire machines etc. I felt very little pressure other than not to crash a lot, which I didn't. It helped that I was immediately very competitive in the classes I raced. Roadracing 12 lap sprints is a lot less about fitness and a lot more about fine motor skills and balls. I doubt I could have ever raced dirt competitively, it's hard. 

I tried Roadracing for a few years up in Loudon, NH. As stubborn as I am, I rather quickly learned it required more finesse than I was going to be able to provide. I learned a lot, and took that knowledge into Motocross/Hare Scrambles and had much more success than I ever would see at Roadracing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HeavyRotationClassic said:

This is actually true. I've been preaching it for years. You want to really enjoy stuff, do it totally half assed. 

Agree 100%. I went a bit overboard with hunting the past 5 years prior to the last 2 seasons. Turkey, deer, bear, pheasant, coyote etc. Putting pressure on myself to fill tags for each and deer I was taking 3-4 a season and needed a decent buck or I felt like I failed. I burned myself out and didnt hunt anything in 2019. Took the year off from a hobby lmao.

2020 i put forth just enough effort to have some meat in the freezer but still enjoy my time in the woods. Getting back to why I enjoy it with friends and family.

Edited by Zinergy
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 2

As they say, it's called "work" for a reason...the minute u start getting paid to do it, it's work.  And the more you are getting paid, the more work it generally is.  That is why I prefer to do work that I at least "like", seeing as how I am going to spend 85% of my daytime performing it.

That said, re mx, it def seems that the mx guys who had fun with it---raced hard but play-rode in the Hills instead of hitting the gym---had the least instance of burnout.  McGrath claims in his bio that RC "ruined" mx as an enjoyable career by ushering in hardcore training lol.  I personally think a lot of them do overtrain now,  keeping their body in a constant state of partial damage.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, txkawboy said:

As they say, it's called "work" for a reason...the minute u start getting paid to do it, it's work.  And the more you are getting paid, the more work it generally is.  That is why I prefer to do work that I at least "like", seeing as how I am going to spend 85% of my daytime performing it.

That said, re mx, it def seems that the mx guys who had fun with it---raced hard but play-rode in the Hills instead of hitting the gym---had the least instance of burnout.  McGrath claims in his bio that RC "ruined" mx as an enjoyable career by ushering in hardcore training lol.  I personally think a lot of them do overtrain now,  keeping their body in a constant state of partial damage.

Same with golf, and lots of other sports games. Guys like Fuzzy Zoeller or John Daly can't win on tour anymore, the winners are mostly fitness freaks. I'd love to see some hungover middle aged bitchtits win a major while smoking cigarettes during the round like back in the old days. 

• Like 8

^^

Edited by txkawboy
Dont want to ruin the OP's thread.

1 hour ago, lowmass said:

I honestly think MX is by far the toughest sport on the planet.  By far

easy to grow to hate it

I'm going to put rock climbing up there. Shit isn't even fun 🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 69fastback said:

I didn’t say my job sucked. I said I don’t do it for fun, and believe me, most pilots spend as much time in the back as we do the front. 

air nymphs!

32 minutes ago, txkawboy said:

👍