2021 Sxpectations

I change my mind almost daily. The only thing that doesn't change in my mind is that Tomac will not repeat.....too many hard to pass riders. He won't be able to win from 10th place unless more riders get injured and so far only one has....i think it will be a four way battle between Sexton, AC, Webb, and Osborne,,,,,,Webb for the win.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Budlite said:

I change my mind almost daily. The only thing that doesn't change in my mind is that Tomac will not repeat.....too many hard to pass riders. He won't be able to win from 10th place unless more riders get injured and so far only one has....i think it will be a four way battle between Sexton, AC, Webb, and Osborne,,,,,,Webb for the win.

I'm hoping Tomac comes out this year and pushes through the starts and get atleast a top 5 off the gate. If he does that he can pass 4 riders. If he doesn't im gonna yell at the TV hoping the his SLOW ass off the gate hears me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, 777654321 said:

I'm hoping Tomac comes out this year and pushes through the starts and get atleast a top 5 off the gate. If he does that he can pass 4 riders. If he doesn't im gonna yell at the TV hoping the his SLOW ass off the gate hears me.

I firmly believe it isn't him that is the start problem. I believe and have for a number of years that he has chosen an engine that is easier to ride but is down on power,,,,,

• Helpful 1

3 hours ago, mog said:

I do wonder if it's drug related ,he doesn't take them and simply can't compete off the start ?

possible,,,,the penalty to following the rules ?   the thing is he seems to have pretty quick reactions everywhere else........some of his start do appear to be a reaction problem while other seem to be under powered as he gets pulled about halfway to the first turn.....we'll never really know though until he retires, if then......he doesn't talk much

Edited by Budlite
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Ossidog said:

I made a list above of 80's names lining up side by side and all but one had a championship as opposed to a race win

I've brought this up before.  Winning championships provides confidence.  They used to have more championships, thus more champions, thus more people with a winning attitude.  I also think the 250SX being a regional championship had totally diminished the value of the 250 outdoor championship.  250 outdoor is a national championship, just like 125 and 500 were in the 80s, and I think the champions deserve more respect for that accomplishment than they currently get.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Budlite said:

possible,,,,the penalty to following the rules ?   the thing is he seems to have pretty quick reactions everywhere else........some of his start do appear to be a reation problem while other seem to be under powered as he gets pulled about halfway to the first turn.....we'll never really know though until he retires, if then......he doesn't talk much

This raises a good point, some guys hit a sweet spot, others struggle with it. You can contrast AC9 and ZO16-CW2 starts,, one is heavier, but starts as good as two lighter dudes, and AC9 on a kawi.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Budlite said:

I firmly believe it isn't him that is the start problem. I believe and have for a number of years that he has chosen an engine that is easier to ride but is down on power,,,,,

I think it is more like running. Some runners are jackrabbits off the starts, some save it for a kick at the end, and others grind the field down with consistency and stamina mostly thru the middle.

All the top talent has a mix of these modes but usually favors one or two for the win. Alessi was a good example of a jackrabbit in SX/MX. Actually in some track events they deliberately bring in people with specialties in one mode or another to keep the field at a high pace throughout the race. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chaconne said:

I think it is more like running. Some runners are jackrabbits off the starts, some save it for a kick at the end, and others grind the field down with consistency and stamina mostly thru the middle.

All the top talent has a mix of these modes but usually favors one or two for the win. Alessi was a good example of a jackrabbit in SX/MX. Actually in some track events they deliberately bring in people with specialties in one mode or another to keep the field at a high pace throughout the race. 

Besides the reaction time everything else is mechanical. Runners are an entirely different bread.  Good runners put in the miles during the week so the races don't drain them. Now having a kick coming around the last corner that just depends on who realy wants it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mog said:

A reaction off the start is different to the muscle memory ones once your moving 

I still think most of the time with Eli is after the gate drop.  I reviewed a bunch of his starts a while back and he does blow the gate drop sometimes, but usually it's the chaos going in to the first turn is where he seems to lose his nerve.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, for me focusing on the holes vs the other bikes is what made a night and day difference in first turns.  It's like focusing on that rock in the trail, you'll hit it.  So focus on the gaps in the first turn, so you'll hit them instead of the other bikes.  I don't know how anyone else does it, I don't know if that would help anyone else, but once I started doing that I became one of those guys that could usually exit the first turn well regardless of my gate jump.

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, 777654321 said:

Besides the reaction time everything else is mechanical. Runners are an entirely different bread.  Good runners put in the miles during the week so the races don't drain them. Now having a kick coming around the last corner that just depends on who realy wants it. 

True. But it depends on the type of running. Track is different. 100 is a lot about reaction time. 400 and 800 are about strategy and kick. While distance running is about stamina and will. SX/MX shares a lot of these physical components. And some guys are better in some areas than others.

3 hours ago, mxaniac said:

I still think most of the time with Eli is after the gate drop.  I reviewed a bunch of his starts a while back and he does blow the gate drop sometimes, but usually it's the chaos going in to the first turn is where he seems to lose his nerve.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, for me focusing on the holes vs the other bikes is what made a night and day difference in first turns.  It's like focusing on that rock in the trail, you'll hit it.  So focus on the gaps in the first turn, so you'll hit them instead of the other bikes.  I don't know how anyone else does it, I don't know if that would help anyone else, but once I started doing that I became one of those guys that could usually exit the first turn well regardless of my gate jump.

I haven't focused on it but that is what is has seemed like to me. Guys like CW and KR seem to attack those "holes" too, while ET seems to settle back and avoid the fray --like a stamina guy who knows he will wear most of the pack down.

Trouble is when you give up the front in SX to a guy like Webb he can open a gap that even the fittest stamina guy on the track might not be able to make up.

• Like 5