Proper oil

80W / 85W * motorcycle specific gearbox lubricant is practically the same viscosity as 10W-40 engine oil.

Their 'numbers' don't compare because engine and gears oil are not rated using the same scale.

(*80W / 85W not to be mistaken with 80W, 85W, 75W-90 etc. axle and differential lubricant)

- motorcycle specific 80W/85W gearbox lubricants

- 10W-30, 10W-40 (motorcycle oils) or 15W-40 (like Rotella) engine oils which are not labelled as Energy Conserving

- ATF (automatic transmission fluid), usually Type-F or Dexron

will all do fine in a dirt bike's separate sump gearbox but some bikes are sometimes bit picky and don't shift as smooth with some lubricants.

Over the years I've tried absolutely everything in my YZ125 which had a habit of being a notchy shifter

and up to now a synthetic blend 10W-30 diesel engine oil is the one that works best in my application.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 6
  • Helpful 5

7 minutes ago, mlatour said:

80W / 85W * motorcycle specific gearbox lubricant is practically the same viscosity as 10W-40 engine oil.

Their 'numbers' don't compare because engine and gears oil are not rated using the same scale.

(*80W / 85W not to be mistaken with 80W, 85W, 75W-90 etc. axle and differential lubricant)

- 10W-30, 10W-40 (motorcycle oils) or 15W-40 (like Rotella) engine oils which are not labelled as Energy Conserving

will all do fine in a dirt bike's separate sump gearbox but some bikes are sometimes bit picky and shift a little 'notchy' with some lubricants.

Over the years I've tried absolutely everything in my YZ125 and up to now a synthetic blend 10W-30 diesel engine oil

is the one that works the best in my application.

The manual says to not use Energy Conserving oils.

It reccomends the mentioned ProHonda HP Trans oil as the #1 choice, but I was worried about the viscosity.

Edited by lil_squid

3 minutes ago, mlatour said:

80W / 85W motorcycle specific gearbox lubricant is practically the same viscosity as 10W-40 engine oil.

(80W / 85W not to be mistaken with 80W, 85W, 75W-90 etc. axle and differential lubricant)

80W/85W 

10W-30, 10W-40 (motorcycle oils) or 15W-40 (like Rotella) engine oils which are not labelled as Energy Conserving

ATF (automatic transmission fluid), usually Type-F or Dexron

will all do fine in a dirt bike's separate sump gearbox but some bikes are sometimes bit picky and shift a little 'notchy' with some lubricants.

Over the years I've tried absolutely everything in my YZ125 and up to now a diesel rated synthetic blend 10W-30 is the one that works the best in my application.

What he said..^^^^^

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lil_squid said:

chart.png.4854353d5b8ea3717b15ce5c186ae168.png

I like that chart on the left, it shows what is reccomended for the OAT, or outside air temptature. Looks like some thick oil viscosity for the higher temps, and a thinner for the cooler. I like the all around viscostiy sae-10-40 looks like a winner. I didn know know the 85-80 wt was compatable with the 10w-40 wt. Thats a new one on me. When I shop for oil, I just purchase what the manual call for and match the bottle...But now im learnid..

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
  • Like 2

You can compare the 'equivalence' in viscosity by the SAE crankcase and SAE gear columns below:

image.png.01d6d8fe739992198a2ed2f6dc19b712.png

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 4

I didn know know the 85-80 wt was compatable with the 10w-40 wt.

Just to add a bit, the difference is the additive package used in the oil.   Gear lubes include additives that help with high pressure contact.

many report smoother shifts using gear lube.

The only down side is that if you blow a seal, you can end up with gear lube in the engine.   That's not terrible though (better than running out of oil!).

It's also note worthy that on the newer X's, it's now a single sump system.

Jim.

• Like 3

And folks thats the straight dope on engine oil. For us laymen, if you can go to a dealer, walk back to the parts dept. tell em the model and make of the bike you have, and ask for a suggestion. They are pretty happy to help you out. You also get free doughnuts on Saturdays. The owners manual will have the correct weight and viscosity of oil for your scoot...🤔

Edited by M E T A L A C I D
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

And folks thats the straight dope on engine oil. For us laymen, if you can go to a dealer, walk back to the parts dept. tell em the model and make of the bike you have, and ask for a suggestion. They are pretty happy to help you out. You also get free doughnuts on Saturdays. The owners manual will have the correct weight and viscosity of oil for your scoot...🤔

Uh maybe 30 years ago. Nowadays they’ll sell you the wrong oil at 80% markup, and no donuts. Maybe some terrible coffee with powdered creamer if you’re lucky. I’d bet most parts depts would try to sell you HP4S simply because it’s 10-40, even tho the honda transmission oil would work better and be cheaper. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, OKDinosaur said:

Uh maybe 30 years ago. Nowadays they’ll sell you the wrong oil at 80% markup, and no donuts. Maybe some terrible coffee with powdered creamer if you’re lucky. I’d bet most parts depts would try to sell you HP4S simply because it’s 10-40, even tho the honda transmission oil would work better and be cheaper. 

LOL! The nasty coffee and the creamer that don't mix, just floats in your cup. Yeup the dougnuts are stale. Microwave it, and it will soften up. Prices are up....

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

III Squid, It is pretty obvious what lube Honda wants in your motorcycle, if you follow the manual.  Smell the 80w / 85w Transmission Fluid and you get the sulphur smell...it is gear oil designed for final drive units. If Honda wanted 80/90 in your engine it would be listed on the API's Donut but it isn't.  Why experiment with the life of your ten thousand dollar motorcycle.  Stop in any Honda Dealer and ask your Service Manager what he thinks...he'll say 10w-30 in the winter and 10w-40 in the summer.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, mlatour said:

(*80W / 85W not to be mistaken with 80W, 85W, 75W-90 etc. axle and differential lubricant)

will all do fine in a dirt bike's separate sump gearbox but some bikes are sometimes bit picky and don't shift as smooth with some lubricants.

Over the years I've tried absolutely everything in my YZ125 which had a habit of being a notchy shifter

and up to now a synthetic blend 10W-30 diesel engine oil is the one that works best in my application.

You using T5 I'm running T4 in my YZ125 and it seems good?

Engine oil  NOT the same as Gear oil ..      check with the dealer that sold it ... he Should be the final answer .   Not the opinions on a forum  ...   Dealer is the   " expert "  .......

16 minutes ago, SNORE125 said:

You using T5 I'm running T4 in my YZ125 and it seems good?

Actually I'm running a re-branded store brand oil, Motomaster 10W-30 semi-synthetic diesel engine oil

link: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-10w30-semi-synthetic-diesel-engine-oil-0287912p.html

Canadian Tire is a large chain of auto parts/hardware stores in Canada.

For a certain time this oil was supplied/re-bottled by CITGO Lubricants for them

but has since changed to Shell (even says 'developed with Shell technology' and has their logo on the back of the bottle)

It may be exactly the same formulation as T5 but to my knowledge no one has done virgin oil samples to compare them.

Purchased by the pail, I run it in all my small 4-strokes:

ATV, lawnmower, generator, garden tractor, snowblower and even in the wife's car.

While I had my Honda CRF250X I also ran in it's engine and gearbox,

despite no JASO-MA certification it's never given me any signs of clutch slippage and engine/gearbox parts have never shown wear.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention, I've ran my YZ125 gearbox on T4 15W-40 in the past but

perhaps because of the cooler ambient temps here it didn't shift as smooth as with other lubricants.

By memory, in my specific application,

Motul TransOil 10W-30 wasn't a success either but ATF type-F and 85W were decent.

The earlier mentioned 10W-30 is by far the slickest shifting of all I tested.

What you guys talking about ask the dealer🤔 that red bottle Honda hp been around for years and it says TRANS right on it . It's for the transmission and at every Honda shop around. Ask the dealer they better tell you to use it

• Haha 1