SS109

Say goodbye to race videos!

If you haven't heard yet, all AMA sanctioned races, including amateur, can no longer run helmets cams. Total BS IMO but I'm curious what everyone thinks about this? Personally, I'm done with the AMA and all AMA sanctioned races going forward.

131373500_10218255273235880_7012807209548011674_o.thumb.jpg.1163d31da694e7271fa67493669b9f3d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, SS109 said:

If you haven't heard yet, all AMA sanctioned races, including amateur, can no longer run helmets cams. Total BS IMO but I'm curious what everyone thinks about this? Personally, I'm done with the AMA and all AMA sanctioned races going forward.

131373500_10218255273235880_7012807209548011674_o.thumb.jpg.1163d31da694e7271fa67493669b9f3d.jpg

Same as we have here, came from the FIM. Not sure what to think of it. Been in a couple of years here.

Has anyone heard of any cases where a camera has caused injury?

• Like 1

Just found this with less than 30 secs looking;

'But following Michael Schumacher’s accident in Dec 2013, where the mini-camera he was wearing on his ski helmet was implicated as a contributory factor to the severe head injuries he sustained, questions remain in the media as to the effect these have on the helmet’s ability to protect the wearer in the event of a fall, or of being struck by a falling object. These questions were sufficient to cause the governing bodies of some sports to ban their use in competitions.'

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

After reading a bit more (I'm over it now) it seems it a typical knee jerk reaction to something that may or may not have happened. There's been studies done that showed no increase of risk with them. One even says they provide a little extra 'padding' in some cases. At worst they are no worse than falling on a rock.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Haha 1

Wouldn’t it be better to have the camera built into the mouth piece anyways?

i remember reading something a few years ago from Arai that the mounting bracket was the problem and that it needed to be completely detachable in a crash. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigfatredpig said:

Wouldn’t it be better to have the camera built into the mouth piece anyways?

i remember reading something a few years ago from Arai that the mounting bracket was the problem and that it needed to be completely detachable in a crash. 

The tests mentioned above concluded the breakaway pressure of the adhesive/suction mounts was minimal and wouldn't cause any injury.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Helpful 1

27 minutes ago, SS109 said:

I'm OK with it. Very rarely do I watch first person videos of amateur racers.. 

Could an argument be made for things such as the fins that were run in years past? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

I'm OK with it. Very rarely do I watch first person videos of amateur racers.. 

Could an argument be made for things such as the fins that were run in years past? 

Yes, for sure. The breakaway pressure has a fair bit to do with some injuries, and any foreign attachment that hasn't be thoroughly tested could be a serious issue. I wonder if there isn't already a rule for that sort of thing?

Edit; that rule would cover it too, a fin would be a 'foreign object'.

Edited by DEATH_INC.

Never been an AMA fan, always avoided AMA events.  They may add benefit with some legislative issues, but all in all I see them as a detriment.  In this case I'm sure some lawyer contrived how this is a liability.  The solution is to let your local tracks know you don't want them AMA sanctioned.  

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

They are banned in some ECEA events but for a totally different reason.  The greenies use the posed videos against us in their efforts to get events shut down.

In this case here, one can assume it's a helmet only issue and chest mount is OK then.

• Like 4

From what I read elsewhere, the working theory is that even after the camera breaks off, the mount has potential to keep the helmet from sliding, potentially catching a rock, or root, increasing the possibility of a neck injury. Could I see it happening, sure, do I think its likely, definitely a one in a million shot.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

It came from the FIM, AMA just following. KTM banned them for their factory riders before Romaniacs.

I can see that top and side mounted action cameras are dangerous, you can catch a low limb at speed and its not nice.
But I don't agree that under-visor and chin- bar mounts are dangerous. And the chest-mount makes for pretty lame video -- you need the human neck as a gimbal to stabilize the video.

I agree that a few bucks will get them to change the regs. I won't miss top-of-helmet or the side-mount.

• Like 5

We’ve seen this in autoracing for a few years now as well...2 part claim...1st was the claim originally by the FIA that the glue in mounts degraded the shell of the helmet over time and 2nd that there was too much potential to hit or hang on the roll cage/hoop...so then the Snell foundation or SFI followed (can’t remember which) the same line and started getting some Of the US sanctions on board with that. 

• Helpful 2

May be a good thing ,  time to intregate camera into helmet ...   cameras are smaller now ,  can be used with Bluetooth connections .   Lets see who perfects it first   .   My bet is  ,  Bell .......

• Like 1

So if the camera is mounted somewhere other than my helmet it is NOT a race video?

I am looking forward to my yearly $1,200 helmet purchase.  

The smart thing would be to promote the idea that helmet cams cause spinal injury with evidence and let the idiots make up their own mind.  I personally don't want anything on my helmet for other reasons, such as spending extra money for less weight.

Edited by crypto666

21 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

May be a good thing ,  time to intregate camera into helmet ...   cameras are smaller now ,  can be used with Bluetooth connections .   Lets see who perfects it first   .   My bet is  ,  Bell .......

Integrated? How much will helmets cost then? I also have a problem with this for night racing as you'll no longer be able to put a light on your helmet.

As for those that don't like watching helmet cam, amateur or otherwise, the video recording I do is for myself specifically and not for anyone else. Also, I actually like watching helmet cams from other riders of races and trails, amateurs to pros. This way I can get an idea of what to expect for that out of town/state race/trail and whether it's worth spending the money to go do.

Just now, crypto666 said:

So if the camera is mounted somewhere other than my helmet it is NOT a race video?

Ok, maybe I should have said good race videos. Chest and bike mounted options all look like crap to me.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, SS109 said:

Integrated? How much will helmets cost then? I also have a problem with this for night racing as you'll no longer be able to put a light on your helmet.

As for those that don't like watching helmet cam, amateur or otherwise, the video recording I do is for myself specifically and not for anyone else. Also, I actually like watching helmet cams from other riders of races and trails, amateurs to pros. This way I can get an idea of what to expect for that out of town/state race/trail and whether it's worth spending the money to go do.

Ok, maybe I should have said good race videos. Chest and bike mounted options all look like crap to me.

Cameras are cheap ..   how hard is it to add another tiny hole for it ?